Michigan State vs. Purdue University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.DivaRed

Purdue CVM c/o 2024
Reaction score
Michigan State is my In-State School so that automatically means cheaper tuition. I love the curriculum and flipped classroom structure. I think it would definitely lighten the load of material being studied at one time. Which would make it easier for me to retain information.

My only hesitation with MSU is that I really knew/know nothing about the school and its resources before I applied. I only did it because it was my IS.

Purdue has been my top school since attending their Vet Up College Program last summer. I had the opportunity to be a student, take classes, learn the campus, the faculty and how they operate. I felt at home there. I didn’t feel out of place like I did BOTH times I interviewed for MSU.

So the practical choice is MSU. But my heart was with Purdue for a while and now I’m just torn. Idk what questions to ask to help make my decision so I suppose I’m just asking for current students to share their experiences at each school.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am not a current student of either school, but I chose OOS school over my IS school as well.

As long as the CoA isn't too different, go with your heart! You should go where you want.
They are all great schools and you will be the one who would spend 4 years where you decide to go.
If you choose the school solely based on the cost, you may regret over the course of time.

I went interviews for both Michigan State and Purdue this year and I liked Purdue over Michigan State as well.

Reactions: 1 user
I am not a current student of either school, but I chose OOS school over my IS school as well.

As long as the CoA isn't too different, go with your heart! You should go where you want.
They are all great schools and you will be the one who would spend 4 years where you decide to go.
If you choose the school solely based on the cost, you may regret over the course of time.

I went interviews for both Michigan State and Purdue this year and I liked Purdue over Michigan State as well.
I would still take advice on this from those graduated and see if they still think going with their heart was the best. I cannot tell you how fast the four years go versus the amount of debt to be happy. There needs to be very legitimate reasons not to go with your instate. I don't believe we have any graduated veterinarians who went with their heart to pay more for a dream school that post, but you will find many who went with cheapest option despite maybe liking another school better and being thankful for it.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
MSU has got a year and a half of clinical rotations that are 3 weeks each. Six of those rotations can be off campus externships (+ 1 extra if you want to do primary care off campus). We also have three 3-week vacation blocks to use as you see fit.

I can't speak much to the new curriculum, as I'm one of the last classes to go through the old version, but we have some fantastic clinician-professors, and I think the majority of students are liking the systems based approach that the classes are following.

My favorite intern is going to Purdue for her surgery residency though, so that's a point in their column.