Michigan Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tissy

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you love most about Ann Arbor and dental school?

What do you least like about about Ann Arbor and dental school?

If you had a choice to transfer, would you?

Do you think the weather affects your performance in school?

Hows the nightlife in Ann Arbor?

Members don't see this ad.

so does this mean you're reconsidering asdoh? :)

Members don't see this ad :)

Ann arbor and school is pretty diverse and every one here is really nice and want to help you including administration. Dental school is fun here definitely.

Parking situation is the only thing I can think of for AA and for dental school I can't think of anything major so far after my 6 months in school.

Yes, weather helps you study more so you actually do better when weather is bad. It is not as bad as you might think and there are lots of indoor activities going on.

Nightlife of AA, well I tthink it is very good for its size. It is no where near any big city night life. Detroit is only half an hour away and so is windosr.

Only way I would transfer out of Michigan if some school gave me a free ride, otherwise I would not want to go to any other school.

Although I'm not quite in school there, just yet, I know many people who go there and I did a summer program there as well. Like MustMust said, the nightlife is cool for the size of the city. There's also Detroit and Canada right there! There's a Michigan facebook group with 35 members already.. we're all looking forward to kicking off the year right! I'm kind of in the same situation as tissy, being that I've been accepted to a west coast school (where I'm from) but the school's reputation doesn't compare to Michigan's. I made my decision based on the fact that the people of Michigan, from my experience, are cool++... and the fact that I want to specialize :D. I'll have to just live with the coooold ass weather for 4 years, which may not be soo bad being that I'll have 110 classmates going through the same stuff!

Tissy made life that much easier for me by already starting this thread, thanks! Haha. So, Michigan dental students, how are the exams scheduled? Do you have a big test weekly, a bunch of tests every month, or what?

Tissy made life that much easier for me by already starting this thread, thanks! Haha. So, Michigan dental students, how are the exams scheduled? Do you have a big test weekly, a bunch of tests every month, or what?

D1 exam schedule second semester: at least one test a week, usually two, sometimes five. We have an IMS test scheduled for just about every monday (ie. Big Test), then random classes like radiology, preclinic, biomaterials sprinkled in between. We have practicals about once a month or so. It's tough, but that's the point. Unless of course you are a genius like some of my classmates...:)

btw the sun is out today and it is brisk and beautiful.

D1 exam schedule second semester: at least one test a week, usually two, sometimes five. We have an IMS test scheduled for just about every monday (ie. Big Test), then random classes like radiology, preclinic, biomaterials sprinkled in between. We have practicals about once a month or so. It's tough, but that's the point. Unless of course you are a genius like some of my classmates...:)

btw the sun is out today and it is brisk and beautiful.

YESSS! definitely looking forward to it :(

YESSS! definitely looking forward to it :(

you'll like it. its fun, just in a mountain climbing or exteme racing sort of way. if you want an amusement park, merry-go-round type of fun I'd recommend business marketing or art history... I think you'll like the view from UM. ;)

what are your thoughts on the 8-5 M-F schedule? it seems pretty hardcore compared to some other schools...

what are your thoughts on the 8-5 M-F schedule? it seems pretty hardcore compared to some other schools...

In the begining I didn't like it at all but then you get used to it and many times you even stay after 5 untill 7 in school and it all seems normal. Look at it this way it is about you once you get into school, school will force you to make minimum work but how much more you want to do is up to the person. everyone has different goals and different expectations in dental school but we all go through the same scheule. I would like to have one half day off but i don't mind it now.

Ann arbor and school is pretty diverse and every one here is really nice and want to help you including administration. Dental school is fun here definitely.

Parking situation is the only thing I can think of for AA and for dental school I can't think of anything major so far after my 6 months in school.

Yes, weather helps you study more so you actually do better when weather is bad. It is not as bad as you might think and there are lots of indoor activities going on.

Nightlife of AA, well I tthink it is very good for its size. It is no where near any big city night life. Detroit is only half an hour away and so is windosr.

Only way I would transfer out of Michigan if some school gave me a free ride, otherwise I would not want to go to any other school.
If the weather sucks, do students have enough time to play in intramural leagues (i.e. v-ball and b-ball)? Also, I'm kinda glad Ann Arbor is about 30 minutes away from Windsor...

first off...mustt mustt and gulch are amazing!

so what do i love most about the school?
i love the people...the people i sit next to in lab like gulch make everyday enjoyable...whether its making jokes, or singing NSYNC, listening to muzik, or whatever the case is...we have a great time!
BTW our pre-clinic is BEAUTIFUL!!! and high tech!!!
i love ANN ARbOR...yeah coming from jersey...it doesnt come close to NYC but its a small town with alot ALOT of entertainment...there are always things to do...u even see girls wearing miniskirts when its -10...so its always summer here;)

what do i like least....we are soo damn accelerated its hard as balls....we have already done class 4 composite restorations, taken x-rays, occlusion etc etc...i personally feel they throw soo much at us...its kinda hard to focus....but on the other hand, because they throw everything at us in the first year and a half we get alot more clinical exposure overall starting from the firsst month of D1 year!

michigan was NOT my first choice...but now that im here i WOULD NOT GO anywhere else...i am super happy with my choice to leave new jersey and goto a world reknown institution...with cutting edge technology and research...and AMAIZING professors!

personally, weather is a none factor....while u are inside u dont face the elements so unless u are walking or biking, u only are cold for a lil bit unless u chose to be outside more....

like mustt mustt said the cold weather can also force u to study and focus more...
IM SPORTS are HUGE!!!!---id say 65% of the class has participated in someway with an IM sport or bowling! so yeah we still work out and have a good time in dental school while studyin!!

GO BLUE

first off...mustt mustt and gulch are amazing!

so what do i love most about the school?
i love the people...the people i sit next to in lab like gulch make everyday enjoyable...whether its making jokes, or singing NSYNC, listening to muzik, or whatever the case is...we have a great time!
BTW our pre-clinic is BEAUTIFUL!!! and high tech!!!
i love ANN ARbOR...yeah coming from jersey...it doesnt come close to NYC but its a small town with alot ALOT of entertainment...there are always things to do...u even see girls wearing miniskirts when its -10...so its always summer here;)

what do i like least....we are soo damn accelerated its hard as balls....we have already done class 4 composite restorations, taken x-rays, occlusion etc etc...i personally feel they throw soo much at us...its kinda hard to focus....but on the other hand, because they throw everything at us in the first year and a half we get alot more clinical exposure overall starting from the firsst month of D1 year!

michigan was NOT my first choice...but now that im here i WOULD NOT GO anywhere else...i am super happy with my choice to leave new jersey and goto a world reknown institution...with cutting edge technology and research...and AMAIZING professors!

personally, weather is a none factor....while u are inside u dont face the elements so unless u are walking or biking, u only are cold for a lil bit unless u chose to be outside more....

like mustt mustt said the cold weather can also force u to study and focus more...
IM SPORTS are HUGE!!!!---id say 65% of the class has participated in someway with an IM sport or bowling! so yeah we still work out and have a good time in dental school while studyin!!

GO BLUE

just want to give a shout out to muz and musttmustt. Everything about Michigan is great except spontaneous preclinic N-SYNC sing-alongs. I'd rather sing little little mermaid songs. thats saying quite a bit. j/k all my luv muz.

If the weather sucks, do students have enough time to play in intramural leagues (i.e. v-ball and b-ball)? Also, I'm kinda glad Ann Arbor is about 30 minutes away from Windsor...

What up Muz and Gulch. I am right now bored studying for the big exam coming on wednesday.
About 35 people in my class played in IM sports last semester and about the same numbers are playing this semester. Also, there are about 20 people in my class who are in bowling league and play every wednesday. If it is important to you then you will find time to do it. It's all about priorities once D school starts. I have been to windsor only two times since I started and one time was during a break. it is fun out there.