Michigan v. Duke v. Hopkins v. MIR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

radiologyfx

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

First I just want to start off with a congrats to everyone who has finished interviewing and is now in the tough position of ranking programs. I think the best news is that (at least in my opinion) it seems like applicants could definitely be happy at more than one place, so odds are we will all end up happy in one way, shape, or form (every place has its own positives we will grow to love!).

That being said - I am having a lot of trouble figuring out where to exactly rank these within my top four, so I thought I would jump on the posting bandwagon. Instead of asking how you think I should rank these programs, which is a very personal decision and everyone is looking for something different, I would love to see what people (either current residents, past residents, or applicants) thought about each of these program's strengths/weaknesses, about how faculty are (i.e., down to earth, friendly, interested in teaching v. malignant - especially if you are a resident and know first hand), and any other things you think make a particular program stand out. When posting, if you feel comfortable doing so please identify whether you are an applicant or resident so bias/level of evidence can be assessed.

Any and all input would be appreciated. Hopefully this post will help others on the forum who are also assessing these programs currently. Thank you all in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I am couples matching so I didn't go to MIR, and got one of many Duke rejections.

Hopkins residents and faculty impressed me. Not their academic reputation, not the facilities, and not everyone's intelligence. I knew that would be there, but all the residents I met seemed pretty down to earth. There were a couple weird residents, but for the most part I liked the PD, my interviewers, and residents. Maybe number 2, despite having the famous name and hospital. I heard MIR wasn't like that as much.

That being said, I am ranking Michigan number 1 because of the energy of some of the faculty and residents. They were from all over, diverse, down to earth, and the Ann Arbor is closer to home. You take call with another resident and all the facilities are close to each other. The interview day was long, and there were a lot of applicants, but at the end of the day I didn't mind at all. Also because of the IR pathway. I thought everyone was happy and met residents and couldn't wait to be in their shoes. I really hope that we match as a couple there.

After that, F it, ranking MUSC and the beach. Maybe even putting it second for location.

Reactions: 1 user
Go by location. If no preference, rank Hopkins higher.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Michigan is scheduled for a chair change next year. Duke just had a PD change. You never know with these things how they'll turn out.

MIR has the reputation for the most intense clinical training, which is reflected in the Doximity rankings.

Interviewed at all four places - all great places with excellent programs. I thought the residents were happy at all four. MIR, Hopkins and Duke seemed to be frequently mentioned in "malignant" programs which was not the vibe that the residents and faculty gave. It seems like those reputations are outdated and now based on hearsay.

Interviewed at all four places - all great places with excellent programs. I thought the residents were happy at all four. MIR, Hopkins and Duke seemed to be frequently mentioned in "malignant" programs which was not the vibe that the residents and faculty gave. It seems like those reputations are outdated and now based on hearsay.

Duke has had resident turnover within the last few years. Not necessarily a marker of malignant but could possible be related.

Unless you're ranking them first and have sent them a communication, it likely wont matter much. I've heard its one of the places where they expect letters from the people they end up ranking highly. From their newsletter it seems like they dont go down very far on their list.

I think Duke could easily be argued to have the best didactic in the country. 2/3 of radiology residents across the US attend the Duke Review Course which is given completely by Duke radiologists. These are the same faculty that will be giving the morning and afternoon conferences. Plus residents have access to the last several years of video recordings of the review course.

I think Duke could easily be argued to have the best didactic in the country. 2/3 of radiology residents across the US attend the Duke Review Course which is given completely by Duke radiologists. These are the same faculty that will be giving the morning and afternoon conferences. Plus residents have access to the last several years of video recordings of the review course.

Didactic are very important but should not be the main factor to choose a program.