Michigan-where to live?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chevy512

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I'll be starting up my first year of dental school this fall at the University of Michigan. How do I go about finding a roommate and a place to live? I've been looking at their website, but I'm not sure where to go from there. What do you think about calling the admissions office and getting the names of my classmates? I know housing probably fills up pretty quickly, so I thought I'd get a start on finding a place. Also, if any of you know any great places for dental students, I'd greatly appreciate the help. Thanks so much.

Members don't see this ad.

check out Tower Plaza Condos. Best place to live on central campus.

abina81

To anyone who goes to Umich for dental school.... do most dental students live near enough to campus to walk to school or far enough away to drive in? Is there parking for dental students near the dental/med school area? I'm interested since it is my first choice school (applying 2005 cycle).

Members don't see this ad :)
Biogirl361 said:
To anyone who goes to Umich for dental school.... do most dental students live near enough to campus to walk to school or far enough away to drive in? Is there parking for dental students near the dental/med school area? I'm interested since it is my first choice school (applying 2005 cycle).

I am an undergrad student at UM. It is nearly impossible to drive in. I know the dental school area, as well as central campus, is always very busy. Everyone lives walking distance or close to a bus stop (Michigan bus or AATA).

Hey I graduated from U of in 2001 and having car at U of on central campus is impossible ya is impossible. I knew couple students who lived on north campus during their 2nd year and they said it was good becasue you take the Northwood bus and it stops right in front of the dental school. Also there is a commuter lot(i think is for graduate and seniors only so is good for you) on Fuller Rd and is very easy to find parking before 8:30-9 am and classes at dental school start early so is very easy. Also bus stops right by the commuter lot(almost every 5 mins one bus in the morning around 7:30-9) and they go and stop in front of the dental school and it takes about 10 mins and the buses are free because they are blue buses run by U of M. Any specific questions about commuting/parking at U of M feel free to PM me. I know becasue my car has been towed couple times at U of M and have many tickets but at the end I learned from my mistake and started waking up early and took the bus.

thanks guys, I will keep this in mind when looking for apts if I get in to umich. :thumbup:

my bf is a 3rd year bout to be 4th year(in a matter of weeks :eek: ) at U of M dental schl. There's no parking at all in central campus, what he does do is that he's a member of delta sig dental frat($100/semester or yr cant remember), and so he gets to park at their house for free. He drives there, and parks, and then walks 10mins to campus, or rides his bike, and thats like 5mins. :D The frat is coed by the way, and isnt like undergrad, he's not an active member but he has had the parking deal for a couple of yrs...cant go wrong there
There are many nice apts like 10mins drive from campus, all by Washtenaw, and a whole lot cheaper than the ones right on campus.

Here is how I think about parking situation at UMICH. There is no parking at all on central campus fo whatsoever. But if you are let say commuting 20 mins from home there is a parking on Fuller Rd. It was like $55 when I was going there. From the parking lot there you can take BUS which come about every 5-10 mins all throughout the day and good thing is all the buses go to CC Little parking stop which right in front of Dental School and it takes buses about 5-7 mins to get there depending on whichone you take. I think is the best. If I were to go to U of M dental school I would do what I just said and it worked for couple of guys I know. The reason it works is becasue dental school start early so this fuller rd. parking lot is not full untill 9 am or so. If you were to come late than parking choices would be Glazeir Way which is on north campus and meant for commuting Engineering student. Parking there would take about half hour in bus to get to dental school. So here is my take if you plan on attinding all classes and get up at 6:30 every morning and get to class on time the parking option I described above is the best available at U of M UNLESS you are part of some club/fraternity or know someone. One of my friend used his Mom's sticker to park right next to building on MWF bcz she is a staff at u of M. His dad would drop his mom of on his way to work. I don't know If I am any helpfull but tried to tell you what I know.

Probably one of the easiest (but pretty expensive) places to get an apartment within walking distance to the dental school is a huge apartment building called University Towers. The leasing cycle here in Ann Arbor is either from May-May or Aug-Aug, and most small apartment complexes and houses that are close to central campus are leased several months ahead of time. That is why I mentioned U Towers. Although it may be possible to find a regular apartment close to the dental school this late in the leasing season, it would probably be easier to get a place at U Towers and be in the position next year to find a new apartment once you know the area better.

Of course, you can always live farther from Central Campus. Apartments are easier to find and probably a lot nicer. The only thing is that you would have to commute every day to class. Many of my classmates do this, but it can be very difficult, especially since we start at 8 every day. It all depends on the type of person you are. Anyways, I hope this helps.

By the way, if you have your UM uniqname, you can go to marketplace.umich.edu and search for apartments.

ts

wow, thanks everyone... you've all been really helpful. :clap: