Florida Licensing Live Patient??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kashyranz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anybody outside the state of Florida started the process of attaining licensure for the state? I have taken the Prosth/Endo/NBDE2/FloridaLaws exams already. Apparently there is a live patient exam for perio/restorative that Florida is requiring all dentists to take. This would mean I would have to fly in to Florida, find a private practice who is willing to lend me a patient who has 12 surfaces of radiographic calculus and a class 2 and class 3 lesion for me to correct, take the exam in a nearby college, hire an assistant, and pray to god I pass on the first attempt. All in the midst of record high corona virus cases. This seems ridiculous while 47 states are accepting mannikin exams. Does anybody have any insight?

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome to dentistry. Licensure is just a gate keeping/money making process you have to go through. Not happy with the FL process/rules, don't practice in FL. There are likely hundreds of dentists on this forum who took their entire boards on live patients. When I took boards at my school on the East coast, many of my class mates had to travel to a different location to take the WREB because they wanted to practice in the west and the WREB wasn't offered at my school.

Has anybody outside the state of Florida started the process of attaining licensure for the state? I have taken the Prosth/Endo/NBDE2/FloridaLaws exams already. Apparently there is a live patient exam for perio/restorative that Florida is requiring all dentists to take. This would mean I would have to fly in to Florida, find a private practice who is willing to lend me a patient who has 12 surfaces of radiographic calculus and a class 2 and class 3 lesion for me to correct, take the exam in a nearby college, hire an assistant, and pray to god I pass on the first attempt. All in the midst of record high corona virus cases. This seems ridiculous while 47 states are accepting mannikin exams. Does anybody have any insight?
I don't understand why you would need to fly to Florida? Are you not a current dental student? Your dental school you currently attend should make accomodations for you to take the live patient boards and and you should be able to pick from your own pool of patients/your school should have a pool of eligible patients, you should be able to take the exam in your own dental school clinic.

Members don't see this ad :)
I go to NYU, no live patient exam is allowed in NY state. Rutgers allows it but not for students who are not apart of their program.

Is Florida started to accept typodont ADEX? Will appreciate any info

Apparently the Florida dental board in the last two weeks agreed to accept typodont ADEX for those outside FL. Contact the FL board to confirm

Reactions: 1 user
I go to NYU, no live patient exam is allowed in NY state. Rutgers allows it but not for students who are not apart of their program.
That's interesting, I know completing a residency program is mandatory in NY but I didn't realize that no live patient exams are even allowed...they should take into account people who want to practice elsewhere besides NY?

But anyways, yes as the poster above me mentioned, this year, FL has become flexible with their rules for those outside of the state, you can take your boards on a manikin and they will be approved. I know because people in my class who will be moving to FL after graduation have confirmed this by contacting the board directly.

Yes, apparently, at least for this year
Hi Sweet_Tooth,

I recently moved to Florida and am planning to take the ADEX to get FL license. I would appreciate it if you could share your experience with the Manikin exam. Thank you.