Micro Shelf

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

realruby2000

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just toook that damn thing today and man...did it suck....

just only a handful of clinical cases but most were like... "the causitive agent is" ( it was somthing like rotavirus)

a. DSDNA non segmented negative sense
b. SSRNA segmented + sense
c. DSRNA non segmented

etc. etc...

Someone please tell me that I wont be required to know this extremely detailed and useless info about each and every virus. How does the micro shelf compare to the real step 1?

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry, but whether or not a virus is DNA vs RNA does have clinical significance and is therefore "fair game" in step I. I just checked my First Aid for step I and that information is included in First Aid too (The ds/ssDNA/RNA, but not the sense stuff).

although the micro questions on the real thing are easier than the shelf, you can expect to get the same type of questions

Kalel said:
Sorry, but whether or not a virus is DNA vs RNA does have clinical significance and is therefore "fair game" in step I. I just checked my First Aid for step I and that information is included in First Aid too (The ds/ssDNA/RNA, but not the sense stuff).

well the fact its dna or rna is obviously important but whether its positive or negative sense or single or double stranded doesn't seem crucial to know... (or at least i hope not)

Members don't see this ad :)
i wonder if all that detail is necessary for step 1 ? it is however in chart format in FA ??

yikes.....

mountaindew2006 said:
i wonder if all that detail is necessary for step 1 ?

For virology, I am planning on knowing the positive/negative sense info because i see too many questions that ask 'where does this virus replicate' as a 3rd order.

I would also like someone to tell me what is clinically significant about knowing whether a virus is RNA or DNA? If I can make a specific Dx from H+P, why do I have to know the rest? The only exceptions I can think of are the retroviruses.