Micro Shelf

Discussion in 'Step I' started by realruby2000, Apr 16, 2004.

1. realruby2000

realruby2000 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Just toook that damn thing today and man...did it suck....

just only a handful of clinical cases but most were like... "the causitive agent is" ( it was somthing like rotavirus)

a. DSDNA non segmented negative sense
    b. SSRNA segmented + sense
    c. DSRNA non segmented

etc. etc...

Someone please tell me that I wont be required to know this extremely detailed and useless info about each and every virus. How does the micro shelf compare to the real step 1?

2. Kalel

Kalel Membership Revoked
    Removed

Sorry, but whether or not a virus is DNA vs RNA does have clinical significance and is therefore "fair game" in step I. I just checked my First Aid for step I and that information is included in First Aid too (The ds/ssDNA/RNA, but not the sense stuff).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. MCG

MCG Member
    7+ Year Member

although the micro questions on the real thing are easier than the shelf, you can expect to get the same type of questions

4. realruby2000

realruby2000 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

well the fact its dna or rna is obviously important but whether its positive or negative sense or single or double stranded doesn't seem crucial to know... (or at least i hope not)

5. mountaindew2006

mountaindew2006 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

i wonder if all that detail is necessary for step 1 ? it is however in chart format in FA ??

yikes.....

6. Idiopathic

Idiopathic Newly Minted
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    For virology, I am planning on knowing the positive/negative sense info because i see too many questions that ask 'where does this virus replicate' as a 3rd order.

I would also like someone to tell me what is clinically significant about knowing whether a virus is RNA or DNA? If I can make a specific Dx from H+P, why do I have to know the rest? The only exceptions I can think of are the retroviruses.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...