Microbiology Labs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jackal head

Registered Sex Offender
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm really worried about the labs for this class, I REALLY need an A in this class and although I have a decent prof, I hear its the lab practicals that gets most people. Any tips for the microbio lab practicals would be MUCH APPRECIATED!

I usually do well in lectures/exams but usually not so in practicals.

Members don't see this ad.

i took micro last semester and i actually had fun .it is one of the most intersting class i've ever took.
for the lab...i suggest you keep up with what you do every lab. you get confused easily if you don't take enough notes. our professor required his students to submit a lab note book at the end of the semester so....it was a lot of work. the one thing that helped me was taking digital pic. of the lab result...that by itself is a good note.the pic. make it easier for you to remember when you study for the test.
and if you're required to submit a note book at the end of the semester....then i advise you to do the write up after each lab ....that will make your class so much easier and FUN.hope this helps

I think it really depends on your professor. My micro lab was EASY. We had five quizzes (which substituted for a midterm and final). It was all memorization.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea, I agree the class is quite interesting but it's too time consuming and took most of my study time for other classes. I had 3 midterms (no final), quizzes almost every class meeting, and 3 lab reports (~15 pgs each). In the middle of the quarter, we had sterile technique and plating technique assessments (which only worth a small portion of grade). At the end of the quarter, we submitted our lab notebook but it wasn't a lot in the final grade. I'd say if you have trouble with technique skills, then practice those skills during lab or ask your professor or TA for help. Just remember to record all data and keep up your notebook. Whenever I didn't know how to properly describe my results, I would take digital pictures to analyze later.

For the quarter system, is it a better idea to take the lab with the course at the same time or after the course???

For the quarter system, is it a better idea to take the lab with the course at the same time or after the course???

I took the lecture course in Winter 2007 and recently took the lab in Spring 2008. Honestly, the lecture didn't really help much in lab, although I think it's great to know the background of microbio beforehand. For my lab class, all the material and background we needed to know for exams were in our lab manual. Actually at UCSD, we have to take the lecture first in order to take the lab, so we can't take it at the same time.

Actually at UCSD, we have to take the lecture first in order to take the lab, so we can't take it at the same time.

Do you know why that is? Here at Wayne State its only offered as one class (lec + lab).

Do you know why that is? Here at Wayne State its only offered as one class (lec + lab).

I know a majority of community colleges along with some Cal States here in Cali offer one class with lec and lab and it's worth only 4 semester units altogether. I really don't know, but I know that most schools in the quarter system here require us to take lecture worth 4 units and lab which is also worth 4 units. The lab component for microbio is not necessarily required for my major, so I don't really have to take it if I don't need to.

Also, for Physiology, I would have to take the lec and lab separately. The lecture is worth 4 units, but lab is worth 6 units. I had only taken the lecture class, but still need lab. Therefore, I have to go to a CC to take a full course with lec and lab. I heard the lab class for Physiology is quite intense. :scared:

I took the lecture course in Winter 2007 and recently took the lab in Spring 2008. Honestly, the lecture didn't really help much in lab, although I think it's great to know the background of microbio beforehand. For my lab class, all the material and background we needed to know for exams were in our lab manual. Actually at UCSD, we have to take the lecture first in order to take the lab, so we can't take it at the same time.

Thanks! Now that I think of it, UCLA has the same policy for the Biochem Lab.

The lab component goes with the lecture at UCLA for physiology. Same for anatomy. Only thing that's awful about it is that these two courses are only offered during the summer during the same section...

I loved micro lab. On that note, you should take notes about what your prof. says in prelab. That may help you on your practical.

Become good at streaking :)