microbiology vs zoology Major

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ZFlink

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am up in the air about both of these majors. The college I am attending splits up biology into microbiology and zoology. They are both intriguing to me. But I do not know what one will help me in the long run, after getting into dental school. Any input would be awesome!!

Members don't see this ad.

it doesn't matter what major u major in in dschool. jus finish ur pre req and other upper level science courses liek biochem, micro, physio, anatomy etc.

major what you want to major. schools don't prefer one major over the other

Schools don't prefer one over the other, but look at which one will give you the bigger advantage. Since you're interested enough in both of them, look at it objectively.

Which one will help you get a higher GPA? If one major has classes that are a little bit easier for you, then go for that one, because having a high science GPA is a big big advantage, while the drawback of not having health-related sciences is miniscule.

I'm not in dental school yet (start this Fall!!), but I would assume that as long as you take the big 5 non-prereq classes (Anatomy, biochem, physio, histo, and can't remember the fifth one), you might have a slightly easier time once you're in dental school becaus you wont be seeing the material for the first time.

I would agree with the above. My school is the same way and I chose Zoology over Microbiology. This way, since many of the Micro pre-reqs I needed were cross-listed with Zoo classes (fell under both categories), I also had an easier time fulfilling the dental school requirements (since most were Zoo) and could boost my GPA with other sciences that I found myself interested in, but wouldn't have been able to pursue had I chosen Micro.