Microbiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aspiringmd1015

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For micro i was considering using kaplan, but i looked at the long list of videos and its making me think twice. Obviously mrs, and the flash cards are a good choice but ive predominantly been using kaplan for my step 1 prep. Any recommendations/analysis on kaplan micro LN with vids?

Members don't see this ad.

I've been using Kaplan along with First Aid. I have to say, micro is one of their strongest subjects, and I highly recommend those vids along with the pharm vids.

Their anatomy was utter rubbish (and the histo section was a complete joke), though the neuroanat wasn't bad. The other vids are just okay, but overall I thought Kaplan vids (with the exception of micro and pharm) were way too time-consuming and I couldn't retain much.

For micro i was considering using kaplan, but i looked at the long list of videos and its making me think twice. Obviously mrs, and the flash cards are a good choice but ive predominantly been using kaplan for my step 1 prep. Any recommendations/analysis on kaplan micro LN with vids?

I used kaplan along with coursework, but Sketchymicro is superior for bacteria.

Members don't see this ad :)
i also used a bit of MRS in school, not sure if i should is it again though. The info is good, but the layout is kind of annoying to me

Reactions: 1 user
I've been using Kaplan along with First Aid. I have to say, micro is one of their strongest subjects, and I highly recommend those vids along with the pharm vids.

Their anatomy was utter rubbish (and the histo section was a complete joke), though the neuroanat wasn't bad. The other vids are just okay, but overall I thought Kaplan vids (with the exception of micro and pharm) were way too time-consuming and I couldn't retain much.
just started micro today, saw the microbial genetics section. 30 pages?! in other books genetics is hardly more than 2 or 3 pages. What is this bs?

That mibrobial genetics portion was definitely overkill - it's better just using First Aid or something for that (plus, I'm not sure if it's high yield). The bacteria, viruses and parasites chapters are great in Kaplan.