Microbiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pkossak

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've noticed some schools, like the University of Michigan, list microbiology and/or psychology as a requirement. What I was wondering is if the level of these courses matters? For example, Introductory Microbiology is a 300 level class, but I also have the prerequisites to take higher level microbio classes like eukaryotic cell biology. Obviously I'm assuming intro microbio is a bit easier, so I'd rather take that. Similiarily for psychology, will 101 introductory psych work, or will I have to try to get into a higher level course?

Also, are there any other courses that I should be taking? I've taken physiology, biochemistry, orgo, physics, blah, blah......just signing up for classes now, so want to make sure I get everything out of the way. Thanks for any help.

Members don't see this ad.

You need to take anatomy. Im only in high school but i know that you need to take it for the UofM

U of Mich added to their prereq's this year, I do not believe anatomy is one of these additions however, psych 101 will do and as for micro I imagine they require the 300 level micro course title probably "microbiology", I believe a sociology class is required also but just call the school or prowl over their website

Members don't see this ad :)
I've noticed some schools, like the University of Michigan, list microbiology and/or psychology as a requirement. What I was wondering is if the level of these courses matters? For example, Introductory Microbiology is a 300 level class, but I also have the prerequisites to take higher level microbio classes like eukaryotic cell biology. Obviously I'm assuming intro microbio is a bit easier, so I'd rather take that. Similiarily for psychology, will 101 introductory psych work, or will I have to try to get into a higher level course?

Also, are there any other courses that I should be taking? I've taken physiology, biochemistry, orgo, physics, blah, blah......just signing up for classes now, so want to make sure I get everything out of the way. Thanks for any help.

I would recommend the microbiology class over the eukaryotic due to familiarization with bacteria. I'm sure you already know that Streptococcus Mutans is the bacteria that causes cavities. Our labs were very good, teaching us how to determine an unknown bacteria through the different lab tests that are used in medicine.

You need to take anatomy. Im only in high school but i know that you need to take it for the UofM

Thanks for the suggestion, but actually you do not need anatomy for U of M, though it is highly suggested. Regardless, I am taking it in the fall so no big deal :thumbup:

I would recommend the microbiology class over the eukaryotic due to familiarization with bacteria. I'm sure you already know that Streptococcus Mutans is the bacteria that causes cavities. Our labs were very good, teaching us how to determine an unknown bacteria through the different lab tests that are used in medicine.

This brings up another point. Should I also take the lab? U of M says I do not need microbiology lab along with the class, but I don't know if there are any other schools that do require micro lab.

Thanks for the help.

Thanks for the suggestion, but actually you do not need anatomy for U of M, though it is highly suggested. Regardless, I am taking it in the fall so no big deal :thumbup:

This brings up another point. Should I also take the lab? U of M says I do not need microbiology lab along with the class, but I don't know if there are any other schools that do require micro lab.

Thanks for the help.

In my opinion, the lab was the best and most informational part of the class.

S. Mutans is only one of the 100's of bacteria that cause dental caries. S. mutans actuly is the colonizing bacteria, it forms a biofilm(plaque) which alows other organisms to colonize on the tooth surface.

I don't know if the most common bacteria such as strep A and S. aureus are tested using metobolic test in the lab. I know at least for some species they use an ELISA to test for specific antigens. Which can give +/- results within 10-15 minutes with 99.99% acuracy. (I just had strep. and asked the doc how they performed the test. He didn't know so he gave me the insert to the test.)

I will agree with you take micro. It is a cool class, I am taking an introductory micro right now so I am learning a little too much about ecological microorganisms and not enough about pathogens. But it is cool and will serve as a good foundation for D-School. I would advice taking cell as well cause that is another great class which will help you in the future. Good Luck

I agree, Microbiology was one of the most interesting classes that I have ever taken. And the lab, ohhhhhhh that lab was amazing. I think it is a must for every school.

S. Mutans is only one of the 100's of bacteria that cause dental caries. S. mutans actuly is the colonizing bacteria, it forms a biofilm(plaque) which alows other organisms to colonize on the tooth surface.

I don't know if the most common bacteria such as strep A and S. aureus are tested using metobolic test in the lab. I know at least for some species they use an ELISA to test for specific antigens. Which can give +/- results within 10-15 minutes with 99.99% acuracy. (I just had strep. and asked the doc how they performed the test. He didn't know so he gave me the insert to the test.)

I will agree with you take micro. It is a cool class, I am taking an introductory micro right now so I am learning a little too much about ecological microorganisms and not enough about pathogens. But it is cool and will serve as a good foundation for D-School. I would advice taking cell as well cause that is another great class which will help you in the future. Good Luck

I concur, cell bio was another great class, and immunology also. Sorry about your class talking so much about environmental organisms, we focused mainly on pathogens.

I concur, cell bio was another great class, and immunology also. Sorry about your class talking so much about environmental organisms, we focused mainly on pathogens.

Yeah there is only about 3 weaks left of classes and we just started going over pathogens. Don't get me wrong the nitrogen/sulfer and carbon cycel is cool, I think archea and cyanobacteria are really great, but come on. Sorry just had to rant, the class isn't just for preprofesionals.

Take a couple psych courses; introductory and another lower level or go higher level if you like it. Also take your intro to micro. Just because they're not "required" everywhere is no reason to not take them. Making yourself a competitive candidate for d-school is all about doing what isn't required of you. Plus it's fun. Both i'm sure will have applications as a dentist, however I'm sure they'll feed you what you need to know in dental school.

Take a couple psych courses; introductory and another lower level or go higher level if you like it. Also take your intro to micro. Just because they're not "required" everywhere is no reason to not take them. Making yourself a competitive candidate for d-school is all about doing what isn't required of you. Plus it's fun. Both i'm sure will have applications as a dentist, however I'm sure they'll feed you what you need to know in dental school.

Thanks for the suggestions. I wish I could take a couple, but I am planning my schedule for my senior year and its already getting to be pretty difficult. I am already taking physical chemistry, anatomy, 4 different specialized physiology courses, senior seminar, and now microbio and psych. Plus I didn't realize that psych 101 is a 4 credit class, so it's probably going to be a little more difficult than I expected. Plus I have to figure out if I have to add sociology to the mix because of U of Mich. So basically thats why I am trying to make things as easy as possible for myself, though I think all are going to be very interesting courses (except for sociology....what's up with that Umich :sleep: ).