Microbiology... is it okay to pass/faill?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chapelthrill

Reaction score
Hello! So im enrolled in microbiology right now and its causing me a lot of extra stress and I feel like it will bring my GPA. none of the schools I was thinking of applying to REQUIRE it but they all highly recommend it. Do you think it would be enough to pass/fail it and just show that I learned the material?
OR would that look bad?

Members don't see this ad.

I would personally take the grade so you get a gpa boost.

Don’t try to take the easy way out by doing pass fail because I guarantee you someone at school x is not.

I would personally take the grade so you get a gpa boost.

Don’t try to take the easy way out by doing pass fail because I guarantee you someone at school x is not.
I meant it would bring my GPA down because it’s harder than expected

Members don't see this ad :)
if Undergrad classes stress you out, how do you think you will be able to handle dental school? Figure out how to get a good grade.

Buy Clinical Microbiology Made Ridiculously Simple on Amazon. It's a great book and I referred to it many times when I first took Microbiology.

Reactions: 1 user
if Undergrad classes stress you out, how do you think you will be able to handle dental school? Figure out how to get a good grade.
this reply was absolutely unnecessary. I don't know why you felt the need to be extremely condescending. I am not saying I can't handle it, I'm saying it will bring my GPA down. I urge you to get a life.

this reply was absolutely unnecessary. I don't know why you felt the need to be extremely condescending. I am not saying I can't handle it, I'm saying it will bring my GPA down. I urge you to get a life.
i urge you to stop looking for the easy way out of things. im giving you hard facts. there is no easy way out in dental school. if you cant take undergrad classes seriously enough to get a good grade, how will it be in dental school. you choose to take microbio, then take it seriously enough for a grade.

i urge you to stop looking for the easy way out of things. im giving you hard facts. there is no easy way out in dental school. if you cant take undergrad classes seriously enough to get a good grade, how will it be in dental school. you choose to take microbio, then take it seriously enough for a grade.
You have no idea about my undergraduate experience so I don’t know why you are assuming these things? My GPA is a 3.85, and I do not think I will make an A because where I go to school it is a HARD class. I am not saying I don’t take school seriously, but the schools I am applying to don’t require it but they highly recommend it. All I was asking was if it was worth seeing through and risking lowering my GPA, or if I should just pass/fail the class.

Please don’t comment on threads if you don’t have actual advice and you just want to put down others in an already stressful time in their life.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why y’all foolin with the guy. He’s gunna be fine even if he gets a C. He already applied. Getting a C this late in his academics isn’t going to determine if he gets accepted or not. Y’all a bunch of overachievers.

Why you foolin on him jebrody? C's don't mean nothing these days. If you have a 4.2 and a 31 on the DAT and don't know basic communication skills to speak to patients in regards to oral hygiene or keeping up with their recalls, then why be a dentist in the first place? I'd rather have someone who had a 3.2 in undergrad and a 19 on their DAT, but know how to hold conversations with patients.

Anyone can have stats, but not anyone can have the guts to speak to their crush if they have been contemplating to speak up or not. :)

Why you foolin on him jebrody? C's don't mean nothing these days. If you have a 4.2 and a 31 on the DAT and don't know basic communication skills to speak to patients in regards to oral hygiene or keeping up with their recalls, then why be a dentist in the first place? I'd rather have someone who had a 3.2 in undergrad and a 19 on their DAT, but know how to hold conversations with patients.

Anyone can have stats, but not anyone can have the guts to speak to their crush if they have been contemplating to speak up or not. :)
I’d rather take someone with a 31 on the DAT lmaoo

I’d rather take someone with a 31 on the DAT lmaoo
Prometric got some explaining to do then hahahahahhahahahahaah but anyways lets be serious tho, you still want the parmesan on your popcorn?

Nutrition Facts
  • Serving Size 1 tbsp (14g)
  • Calories 60
  • Total Fat 6g
  • Saturated Fat 2g
  • Trans Fat 0g
  • Polyunsaturated Fat 3g
  • Monosaturated Fat 1.5g
  • Sodium 90mg
  • Total Carbohydrate 0g
  • Vitamin A 15%

You know I got you on the "I can't believe it's not butter!"

It's hard to know every nuance of a person't situation from a post, but here are my thoughts on it...

There's always "the course" that has a chance to bring your GPA down a bit. At some schools it's the weed-out Gen Chem. At others it's Biochemistry. For you, it may be this Micro. You have a very nice buffer with a 3.85 GPA, and I can't imagine that you'll do so poorly that it will bring your GPA down any considerable amount. Micro is 3-5 credits out of 120+. That's why it's always important to do your best and bring up your GPA where you can, because there's always going to be a class or two that's not going to go your way. And Adcoms know this.

IMO, taking all your other classes for a grade, and taking Micro as a Pass/Fail, may draw attention to the fact that you made that conscious choice, that you weren't confident in your ability. Remember, "Pass" is C and above. When an Adcom sees "Pass" is this what they think of? With your academic track record thus far, and I don't know you other than from your post, I feel that you should take the course for a grade and you'll be just fine. Best of luck!
Hey thank you this was the advice I needed!!