Microbiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Plinko

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering how much time is given at other medical schools to learn Micro. Here at TCOM (a system-based curriculum) they gave us a week to learn the morphology, pathophysiology, etc. of ALL the bacteria, fungi, viruses, protozoa, and worms--everything from strep to the most exotic helminths. It was ridiculously overwhelming. They had to curve the test because something like fifty percent of the class the failed it. I'm told we revisit the material all throughout the next year (2nd year) so I'm not worried about what I missed. Still, I don't see how they expected us to fully retain so much information by giving us so little time to learn. Is this how the intro to micro/pathology works at other schools?

Members don't see this ad.

I too would like to know....especially about Micro at LECOM

UNECOM:

All aspects of Micro in separate classes (exact durations are a bit hazy in my memory):

Immuno-1 month
Virology-3-4weeks
Parasitology-2-3 weeks (overlapping with Virology)
Bacteriology (with Mycology)-1 very intensive month

Members don't see this ad :)
NSUCOM:
------------

Immuno + Viro = 5 weeks (taught as separate classes)
Myco + Parasites = 4 weeks (taught as separate classes)
Bact = 4-5 weeks

(too much overlap between disciplines)

...and they keep attempting to give us a cumm final on all 5 disciplines... +pissed+ Then again - I'm done with it :clap:

-A

In regards to the post about LECOM microbiology...

In the core curriculum (after anatomy), you are lectured on the various aspects of microbiology-classes of organisms, their special characteristics, testing, etc. Once you get into each system, the organisms (be they bacteria, fungi, parasites, viruses) relevant to that system are discussed more in-depth. At times it appears like overkill, but the great thing is that this stuff comes up over and over and sticks in your head over and over. That's the great thing about systems-based curriculums. Repitition is key.

Dr. Kell directs the microbiology and dermatology courses in addition to being the dean of student retention and promotion. A great lady...and she is well known by everyone for pinpointing exact board questions. She keeps up to date with the literature and can hypothesize what the question writers will ask.

Good luck. Enjoy the last month before school starts.

njdo