Microeconomics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elleNY

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been M.I.A. recently because I've finally started my prereqs. Although I have my B.A., I never took this as part of my undergrad curriculum. First day, I liked it. Today, not so much! I would love to hear opinions and speculations as to why this is included as a prereq for pharm school. Although I think it's an indispensible course that should be taken by all (especially in order to better understand the current economic crisis), I was just interested in hearing your opinions!

Elle

Members don't see this ad.

I have been M.I.A. recently because I've finally started my prereqs. Although I have my B.A., I never took this as part of my undergrad curriculum. First day, I liked it. Today, not so much! I would love to hear opinions and speculations as to why this is included as a prereq for pharm school. Although I think it's an indispensible course that should be taken by all (especially in order to better understand the current economic crisis), I was just interested in hearing your opinions!

Elle

So many of the pre-reqs are basically bull**** courses you don't really need, not only for Pharm but other programs as well.

But you could make an argument of why you might need each of the different courses....I guess for Microecon, one could say that it is to make sure that pharmacists are economically literate. Microecon touches on things like supply, demand, opportunity cost, law of diminishing returns, economic surplus, consumer behavior/psychology....I guess it is just good stuff to know.

Elle

There is certainly a long story to this answer - the short one is that "they say so..." The answer generally given (thrown around the ADCOM) is that at some point in your career - you will be fiscally responsible for pharmacy operations. This means having a basic understanding of how the economy works and the interplay of business is quasi important.

You could argue that business is mostly common sense - You would probably be right - but that fact is irrelevant - you still need to do well in your micro course. If it makes you feel any better - My one loan WF was in Macroeconomics - and I'm still here :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
I felt the same way about Physics (we needed to take 3 quarters of it) when we began learning quantum Physics during the 3rd series. Ironically, I began to actually enjoy enjoy some of these pre-reqs (physics, speech, econ) more so than some of my bio classes eventually.

Elle

I think this might be a holdover from the days when people actually opened their own independent pharmacies all the time. I mean, you would want this if you owned a drug store.

Good choice taking it in the summer. That class wasn't hard but it was boring.

Charf - was thinking the same exact thing about it being a holdover from when Pharms were more likely to go indy... Anywho I almost fell asleep in class today, and I sit in the FRONT ROW! lol Yikes.

Elle

I think this might be a holdover from the days when people actually opened their own independent pharmacies all the time. I mean, you would want this if you owned a drug store.

Good choice taking it in the summer. That class wasn't hard but it was boring.

I think Micro is a pre-req for pretty much every degree now. Even my sister had to take it for her BSN. I think these low level pre-reqs are meant to make you well rounded.
I just finished Micro last semester and I really enjoyed it.

Although I think it's an indispensible course that should be taken by all (especially in order to better understand the current economic crisis)

Microeconomics will do very little to help you better understand the current economic crisis. Macroeconomics would be much better for that. Micro is from more of an individual/family/small business perspective and macro is more of the national/world economy as a whole (ie. inflation, unemployment, interest rates, etc.).

Charf - was thinking the same exact thing about it being a holdover from when Pharms were more likely to go indy... Anywho I almost fell asleep in class today, and I sit in the FRONT ROW! lol Yikes.

Elle

Time to move to the back row.

Oh, or drink more coffee, I guess.

In my opinion Physics and Microeconomics were stupid prerequisites. Basically they include these classes to weed out the weak LOL cause I know that damn Physics was a beast :eek:

I've viewed many of the pre reqs as just another hoop I have to jump through to get what I want. Well worth it I guess but its going to be nice actually learning something that I will use in my career. The two pre reqs I thought were most bogus were already mentioned - a year of physics and econ. Physics for problem solving skills I guess? But a year of it? I spose they can't make it too easy though.

Microeconomics will do very little to help you better understand the current economic crisis. Macroeconomics would be much better for that. Micro is from more of an individual/family/small business perspective and macro is more of the national/world economy as a whole (ie. inflation, unemployment, interest rates, etc.).

Even the best economic minds, including Economics Nobel Laureates admit to not understanding the current financial crisis....Intro level courses will hardly suffice for this purpose