Microscope options

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DrBodacious

Full Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Any comments on a good value microscopes? I am thinking about getting 2, perhaps? Considering JedMed vs Zeiss PICO vs Leica M320 F12.

I am waiting on pricing from the various reps at this point...

Currently, I have some dinosaurs that I have to man-handle in order to get them in position.

Any other models that people would recommend checking out?
 
We demo-ed a Seiler in my office. It was a very nice scope with great optics for the price. It deserves consideration. The company recently switched to a new model and you may be able to find a demo model at an even better price. Leica makes a nice scope but it was hard to justify the $20k price tag for the office.
 
We demo-ed a Seiler in my office. It was a very nice scope with great optics for the price. It deserves consideration. The company recently switched to a new model and you may be able to find a demo model at an even better price. Leica makes a nice scope but it was hard to justify the $20k price tag for the office.

Thanks, I am trying to get a Seiler demo set up.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Bought a Seiler, very happy when it was new 7 years ago. Piece of junk now--falling apart everywhere. Duct taped here and there, drilled some new screws into the mounting plate for stability, etc. It's a backup scope at best now.

Have an old Zeiss that I got from a closing surgery center (for $200 if you can believe that--they had to sell it at depreciated market value because it's from HCA, a publicly traded hospital company) that is 15+yrs old and is a tank with great optics. So happy with that, maybe the best purchase I've ever made for quality and longevity for price. Zeiss Pico is our premier scope. Awesome awesome awesome. I worry that it's not the tank the old counterpart is, but we'll see. 5 years old and still aweseome.

I use Leica in the OR because they have the smallest footprint, best light, and easiest one-handed use, IMO. However, all the Leicas that I love are too expensive to buy for the clinic.
 
Well, I ended up getting a nice deal and bought three Leica demo scopes (the scopes I linked above), with fine focus lenses. They are pretty much top notch optics, a really nice LED light, and they have glowing side lights that look really cool. The fine focus lenses are amazing. I probably spent too much relative to a bargain scope but YOLO. Hopefully they last a good 15 years +.