Microscope help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

e25

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an ENT intern and I was wondering if anyone could give me some microscope advice. I am having trouble getting the images from eye each to merge together. The only way I see one image is if I change the IPD to smaller than my actual IPD to block one eye. I've never had any eye problems like strabismus or anything. I had my stereopsis checked just to be sure and was told I had the max stereopsis the test could measure, so no issues there. I've found stuff about doing eye exercises for convergence, like moving a pencil as close to your eyes as you can while maintaining one image to try to strengthen convergence, but I can do that without double vision until maybe 1 or 2 cm from my nose.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has had similar issues and could give me some advice. Do I just need to figure out the microscope? I spent like half and hour today trying to mess around with it and couldn't get images to converge. Should I see an ophthalmologist? Should I ask my attendings or other residents for advice or is this something I should try to figure out myself so I don't have my program worried about me?

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't heard of anyone else having that much trouble. It should be just like any microscope you may have used in the past. You need to have the IPD set so you have the image maximally visible in each eye. You don't have to put effort in to converging the binocular images, normally (if you did, we all would have a lot of eye strain). Possibilities include the microscope is out of alignment, or you have some medical issues. If you do not get the hang of it soon, I would certainly recommend seeing an ophthalmologist.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using SDN mobile

Check to make sure the individual eye pieces are appropriately focused.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I've been scouring the internet trying to solve this problem for myself. I was having the same problem getting the two images in my eyes to converge. The most effective way I found to get the two images to converge is the same way you would go about viewing a "Magic Eye" picture. This involved placing two dots a few inches apart on a piece of paper, then trying to make the two dots converge into a third dot in between the two.

X_________X
X --> X <-- X

Using this technique, I was able to get my eyes to converge what they were seeing on the microscope. It took me about an hour before things clicked. I hope this made sense and helps whomever else is looking for microscope advice!

Did anyone have any further advice? I am able to do the magic eye trick but continue to see double under the microscope.