MICU or SICU? Medicine sub-I or other?

Started by DCBigBAPS
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DCBigBAPS

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone. I have polled quite a few people and did a search on SDN. However, I wanted to ask upfront. I will be entering fourth year and need to choose which ICU I rotate through. I am going into anesthesiology, so I thought SICU... however most people I know were doing MICU. Also, most people picked Medicine subI's. Any thoughts? Thanks.
 
DCBigBAPS said:
Hey everyone. I have polled quite a few people and did a search on SDN. However, I wanted to ask upfront. I will be entering fourth year and need to choose which ICU I rotate through. I am going into anesthesiology, so I thought SICU... however most people I know were doing MICU. Also, most people picked Medicine subI's. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Want the truth?

Flip a coin.

Doesnt really matter, dude, as long as you do well.
 
DCBigBAPS said:
Hey everyone. I have polled quite a few people and did a search on SDN. However, I wanted to ask upfront. I will be entering fourth year and need to choose which ICU I rotate through. I am going into anesthesiology, so I thought SICU... however most people I know were doing MICU. Also, most people picked Medicine subI's. Any thoughts? Thanks.


I would do SICU but MICU would be fine. Med sub-I's that are good are cards and pulm.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey. I'm in your position too. I'm doing both (MICU as a 3rd year, SICU as a 4th year). Both are supposed to help you learn a lot, maybe do a few procedures.
 
I would pick a "closed" unit. One where YOU will be taking care of the patients and not as a "consultant"....


The "open" unit is common in private practice and SICU's....leaves too many hands in the pot.

A "Closed" unit allows you to take full control of the patient and learn how your interventions affect the patients' clinical course over a 30 day period.
 
militarymd said:
I would pick a "closed" unit. One where YOU will be taking care of the patients and not as a "consultant"....


The "open" unit is common in private practice and SICU's....leaves too many hands in the pot.

A "Closed" unit allows you to take full control of the patient and learn how your interventions affect the patients' clinical course over a 30 day period.
On that topic...I'm rotating at a hospital where the consulting services write orders. It makes it difficult to keep track of what's being done with the patient. Is this common in private practice?
 
My fourth year i was able to do alot of ICU stuff. We had 2 required Sub I rotations. One had to be medicine and the other had to be med, surg, peds, or ob. I did Trauma ICU and was able to get them to count MICU as my med sub I. I went on to do a SICU and a CCU month. Needless to say I was very comfortable with lines and chest tubes by mid year.
 
usnavdoc said:
My fourth year i was able to do alot of ICU stuff. We had 2 required Sub I rotations. One had to be medicine and the other had to be med, surg, peds, or ob. I did Trauma ICU and was able to get them to count MICU as my med sub I. I went on to do a SICU and a CCU month. Needless to say I was very comfortable with lines and chest tubes by mid year.

my school...
learn more -micu
work less -sicu

up to you

surgeons dont like icu team taking care of their pts at my hospital. so sicu is secondary, or a consult service = easy rotation.

micu = primary service

point: depends on dynamics of the hospital, ask classmates or upper levels.
 
DCBigBAPS said:
Hey everyone. I have polled quite a few people and did a search on SDN. However, I wanted to ask upfront. I will be entering fourth year and need to choose which ICU I rotate through. I am going into anesthesiology, so I thought SICU... however most people I know were doing MICU. Also, most people picked Medicine subI's. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Depends on your institution, but I would look at the attendings and/or the fellows schedule and pick the unit with the better attending/fellow for the month I'm on it. Some are known for teaching, some aren't, so ask around. Want a letter? Pick the attending with the powerhouse name and put in some long hours. Or just pick the one you feel comfortable with. I rotated in the micu 4th year and learned a lot. Mostly I learned that a lot of the stuff I thought I had a good handle on is more complicated than I thought. During my month the fellow loved to teach and would pick a topic everyday to go over with the residents and students.
 
Sammich81 said:
On that topic...I'm rotating at a hospital where the consulting services write orders. It makes it difficult to keep track of what's being done with the patient. Is this common in private practice?

yes