MICU vs. Radiology - What is more helpful to prepare for intern year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JonBovi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As stated, for an MS4 who plans to enter a general surgery residency.

Let me first say that I have always been a little uneasy with radiology. Is this something that most people just "pick up" during the intern year?

I am currently signed up for 4 weeks of radiology but the thought of sitting in a dark room and getting shat on by know it all radiologists is unappealing.

Would a MICU rotation be better? My school will not allow me to take any more surgery rotations so SICU is out.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

As stated, for an MS4 who plans to enter a general surgery residency.

Let me first say that I have always been a little uneasy with radiology. Is this something that most people just "pick up" during the intern year?

I am currently signed up for 4 weeks of radiology but the thought of sitting in a dark room and getting shat on by know it all radiologists is unappealing.

Would a MICU rotation be better? My school will not allow me to take any more surgery rotations so SICU is out.

Thanks.

You will get plenty of critical care experience as a resident but having a solid knowledge of rads is invaluable especially if you do some night float duty. Rads is a better choice.

...the thought of sitting in a dark room and getting...

Would a MICU rotation be better?...
It really depends. It depends on the quality of the education on each rotation and what your baseline/foundation knowledge is at this point. If the radiology rotation is the classic "radi-holiday"... then no, probably not a first choice.
...I have always been a little uneasy with radiology. Is this something that most people just "pick up" during the intern year?...
See first answer. Yes, most residents in surgery will pick-up the radiology they need during their residency. But, again, if you feel your exposure/grasp of the basics is below average, a rotation in rads may be a good idea.
...the thought of sitting in a dark room and getting shat on by know it all radiologists is unappealing...
Again, see first answer. If your radiology rotation option is as you describe then probably not a good rotation for you. My experiences with rads was quite different. They were always useful and actually excited to teach....
...Would a MICU rotation be better? My school will not allow me to take any more surgery rotations so SICU is out...
Again, see first answer. MICU can be a very good rotation for a surgery bound medical student. The MICU attendings usually pulmonologists and/or anesthesia have a different perspective to teach and can broaden your clinical understanding. I would always discourage loading up on surgery rotations if you are going into surgery.

Members don't see this ad :)
The MICU attendings usually pulmonologists and/or anesthesia have a different perspective to teach and can broaden your clinical understanding. I would always discourage loading up on surgery rotations if you are going into surgery.

I like this answer. Also just found out I may be able to swing a 2 week Rads elective. Thanks.

I'd vote for MICU. In hindsight, my ICU rotation was helpful now that I've started intern year. It was a great way to learn how to think about patients in a systematic way, and then develop plans to address their issues. When you show up as an intern, and are expected to manage the floor, having at least some idea about how to approach the problem is a great thing. In my mind, that's a much better thing to have in your back pocket than being able to read every scan. And it should be a good place to practice skills like lines, IVs, etc. Showing up as an intern and having a decent understanding of how to do that stuff will not only mean you may be given more opportunities to do them, but I think it also makes a good first impression.

Finally, I think you learn things in the ICU that are difficult to learn without actually experiencing them. You can review scans/rads books on your own time and at least pick up some of it.

...MICU. ...should be a good place to practice skills like lines, IVs, etc...

...I think you learn things in the ICU that are difficult to learn without actually experiencing them...
Every ICU rotation I did (med-school and residency), we had a great deal of radiology/imaging/film reading. every patient in the ICU seemed to get an AM film. The sick ones often went to CT scan for belly films or PE scans or if they seized, head scans.

But again, I am not voting for either, you should go where you will get the best learning experience.

Every ICU rotation I did (med-school and residency), we had a great deal of radiology/imaging/film reading. every patient in the ICU seemed to get an AM film. The sick ones often went to CT scan for belly films or PE scans or if they seized, head scans.

But again, I am not voting for either, you should go where you will get the best learning experience.

Good point. Didn't think about that. Reviewing everyone's daily CXR and new scans (which obviously are fairly common in ICU) was a part of our morning rounds as well. But yeah, if one rotation is known to be a waste of time, the decision becomes much easier.

Vacation prepares you the best for intern year. Anything else you need you'll learn during ...INTERN YEAR. Which is why you have it. If you needed to know it coming in, your program sucks at training you.

Yeah, don't overload your M4 year, but in terms of usefulness, I'd vote for the MICU.

i did both in med school 4th year
both were very helpful

if i had to choose one, prob MICU