Mid and low tier programs in NYC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OMGIMG

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone familiar with the mid och low tier programs in NYC? Which of the programs below are good and which ones should I avoid if I would like to to into fellowship?

From other threads I understand

Bronx-Lebanon, St Barnabas, Lincoln, Kingsbrook, Wyckoff, Downtown, Interfaith, Harlem, Maimonides are the worst, very little chance to land a fellowship after those programs.

Albert Einstein (Jacobi, Montefiore, Beth Israel), SLR, Lennox Hill are the best, plenty of chances to go into fellowship.

The others somewhere in between. Correct?

Members don't see this ad.

Your list is mostly accurate. Only changes I would make:

I would take Maimonides out of the "bad" list. It was a solid but not stellar program back when I was in school. They have fellowships in house for just about every medical specialty, and took a lot of their own residents for those programs. The current program director is a very intelligent guy and is active in the New York ACP.

Jacobi looks good on paper but my impression of the place was that the residents got little to no respect there, especially from the Montefiore faculty and residents who rotated through. The whole place seemed to be living in the shadow of its past greatness.

Montefiore is more of an upper tier residency program. As far as I know they don't take IMGs (unless they are from Sackler) or DOs in their Medicine program.

Also I know you were only addressing NYC programs but North Shore/LIJ and Winthrop are very good programs on Long Island with fellowships, and both are a stone's throw away from Manhattan.

Your list is mostly accurate. Only changes I would make:

I would take Maimonides out of the "bad" list. It was a solid but not stellar program back when I was in school. They have fellowships in house for just about every medical specialty, and took a lot of their own residents for those programs. The current program director is a very intelligent guy and is active in the New York ACP.

Jacobi looks good on paper but my impression of the place was that the residents got little to no respect there, especially from the Montefiore faculty and residents who rotated through. The whole place seemed to be living in the shadow of its past greatness.

Montefiore is more of an upper tier residency program. As far as I know they don't take IMGs (unless they are from Sackler) or DOs in their Medicine program.

Also I know you were only addressing NYC programs but North Shore/LIJ and Winthrop are very good programs on Long Island with fellowships, and both are a stone's throw away from Manhattan.

Which Montefiore is the best of them? If i remember correctly there are several "Montefiore " programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Which Montefiore is the best of them? If i remember correctly there are several "Montefiore " programs.

To be precise, they aren't "Montefiore" programs. Montefiore is one of the hospitals affiliated with the Albert Einstein School of Medicine. Jacobi is the other. AFAIK there aren't any other hospitals in that system with internal medicine programs, and Montefiore is the better of the two mentioned above.

There is only 1 Montefiore program. There are 3 (at least) Albert Einstein COM programs...Monte - the real university program, Jacobi and Beth Israel.

There is only 1 Montefiore program. There are 3 (at least) Albert Einstein COM programs...Monte - the real university program, Jacobi and Beth Israel.

Oops I forgot about BI (I was thinking hospitals in the Bronx).
In terms of program quality, it would be Montefiore > BI > Jacobi.

What's the Step 1 stats on these programs? I just checked Jacobi's site and it states that an 87 percentile for Step 1 and 2 is recommended for potential applicants.

That sounds pretty up there..

What's the Step 1 stats on these programs? I just checked Jacobi's site and it states that an 87 percentile for Step 1 and 2 is recommended for potential applicants.

That sounds pretty up there..

These people show that they don't understand 2-digit USMLE scores... which is probably why the USMLE got rid of the silly thing. 87th percentile would be upper 240's-250ish based on average of 221 with a SD of 24 (which is what it was when I took it)

they mean a 2 digit of 87 which comes out to about a 200

Would you guys agree that in NY: Columbia>Cornell>MSSM>NYU>Montefiore in terms of rep? Are there any other programs I'm missing?

Members don't see this ad :)
What about NYMC (Metropolitan) vs. Einstein (Jacobi)?

Basically, yes. And you're missing one other academic program (Downstate) but it's down at the bottom of that list.

How would you say the different SUNY's compare to each other? Downstate, Upstate, Stony Brook?

Thank you, got your point!

What about Jacobi vs Albert Einstein in Philly?

That's a pretty random comparison. How about Jacobi vs. UMDNJ-NJMS? Or Jacobi vs. Pennsy or Jacobi vs. Bridgeport Hospital, etc? Einstein in Philly is in no way related to AECOM.

That's a pretty random comparison. How about Jacobi vs. UMDNJ-NJMS? Or Jacobi vs. Pennsy or Jacobi vs. Bridgeport Hospital, etc? Einstein in Philly is in no way related to AECOM.

I got interviews from both places, that is why I would like to compare them. I understand they are not related.

So, Jacobi vs Einstein in Philly?;)

Reactions: 1 user
How would you say the different SUNY's compare to each other? Downstate, Upstate, Stony Brook?

Upstate~=Stony Brook >>> Downstate.

I say that as a Downstate med school grad.

None of them are particularly stellar programs, nor are they particularly horrible either.

Can you elaborate on why DS is so much worse than those other programs? I think it really depends on what we are basing our comparisons on (e.g. academics, name recognition, clinical exposure, etc)

Upstate~=Stony Brook >>> Downstate.

I say that as a Downstate med school grad.

None of them are particularly stellar programs, nor are they particularly horrible either.

I've always been a bit confused on where the SUNY's land in comparison to the rest of the NYC/LI programs outside of the top5. Are places like St. Luke's Roosevelt, Lenox Hill better even though they're univ affil rather than university like the SUNY's?

I've also always been under the impression that Downstate >stony brook/upstate cuz of reputation for how hardcore it is. But in all honesty, I totally agree with why gutonc and wannabedo rank the other 2 > downstate assuming its due to crappy ancillary staff and how old it is.