Mid/high tier stats reapplicant school list suggestions and advice (5 II--> 1 R, 4 WL)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soz_array

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,
I went into the last cycle fairly confident and ended up with 5 interviews, but unfortunately it was not enough and I'm looking at reapplication. I'm struggling to make a new school list as I don't know how schools feel about reapplicants and I did not receive any love from schools east of Colorado last year. I went to school in Minnesota and have connections in Wisconsin so I'm debating applying to some schools there but would prefer to be on the west coast as I'm from WA and my partner is from CA. I feel that my stats are decent but understand that there are some weak parts of my application, especially my community service hours and lack of publications.

Undergrad: Midwest liberal arts
Major: Biology
Concentration: Community and Global Health
State of residence: WA
Ethnicity: White
GPA: uGPA- 3.85, cGPA- 3.86
MCAT: 517 (127/131/130/129)
Clinical volunteering: 200+ hrs children's hospital
Previous non-clinical volunteering: 60 as youth sport coach
New non-clinical volunteering: 25 as LGBTQ scholarship reviewer, started a position at LGBTQ resource center but interrupted by COVID, unsure what hours will be like (4 so far but I will be restarting as soon as it is allowed and plan to do it through the year)
Previous research: 1000+ hours of research with 3 posters
New research: 1700 hours as a clinical research coordinator (seeing patients roughly one day a week, rest is benchwork, writing, study management, etc)
Clinical experience: 650 hours as a physical therapy aide, 45 hours shadowing family medicine and surgery
New clinical experience: Clinical research coordinator
Leadership and hobbies: Played a D3 sport in college and was team captain my senior year, received academic and sportsmanship awards in conference. Also part of Public Health Club and competed at a public health competition, and part of an LGBTQ scholarship/leadership program. Worked various other jobs throughout undergrad. I've continued to play my sport for a recreational league post-undergrad.
Previous LOR: 1 science prof/PI, 1 science prof/mentor, 1 arts prof, 1 coach
New letter: 1 physician/PI

Last year's list:
  • University of Washington —> II —> R
  • Washington State University —> II —>WL
  • UCLA
  • UC San Diego —> II —> WL
  • UCSF
  • SUNY Downstate
  • University of Arizona- Phoenix
  • University of Colorado —> II —> WL
  • Oregon Health Sciences University
  • USC Keck
  • Stanford​
  • George Washington University​
  • Kaiser Permanente​
  • Mayo Clinic-Phoenix —> II —> WL
  • Emory​
  • Miami Miller​
  • Wake Forest​
  • Albert Einstein​
  • Brown​
  • Dartmouth​

New list in progress:
  • University of Washington​
  • Washington State University​
  • Medical College of Wisconsin​
  • The University of Wisconsin-Madison​
  • University of Minnesota​
  • University of Arizona- Phoenix​
  • University of Arizona- Tuscon​
  • Emory​
  • Brown​
  • Tulane​
  • UCLA​
  • USC Keck​
  • Mount Sinai​
  • USF Morsani​
Should I apply to San Diego, Colorado, and Mayo-Phoenix again? I loved them all and would love to attend them but I don't know how they feel about reapplicants, especially ones that interviewed and were waitlisted. Are there any other California schools I can/should add if my partner is a CA resident? What schools outside of the Western region should I add? I get really lost because the midwest/East/South has many more schools and so many of them are state schools or low-yield.

I can afford to apply to about 20-25 schools, though I will add more if I can.
Why not apply to DO? Do you think they are not real doctors? My friend went to Yale undergrad and went through two cycles and never got an acceptance now she is going to go PA. I was a Div 1 athlete UF and performed with Cirque du Soleil for 2.5 years post undergrad in Europe and South America and did an online Medical Microbiology Masters UF....clearly non traditional. I did a diabetes camp when in undergrad and adaptive gymnastic volunteer at the club the dean of PT at UF started to work with special needs children. I applied DO and MD got secondary's from all but chose DO as I want private practice and not corporate medicine. Regenerative medicine and wilderness medicine are my interest. My cousin did internal medicine then fellowships in cardiovascular and functional medicine as an MD now runs Scripp integrative cardiology. A DO I know did anesthesiology and does pain management now.

• Dislike
  • Inappropriate
  • Hmm
Reactions: 4 users
Why not apply to DO? Do you think they are not real doctors? My friend went to Yale undergrad and went through two cycles and never got an acceptance now she is going to go PA. I was a Div 1 athlete UF and performed with Cirque du Soleil for 2.5 years post undergrad in Europe and South America and did an online Medical Microbiology Masters UF....clearly non traditional. I did a diabetes camp when in undergrad and adaptive gymnastic volunteer at the club the dean of PT at UF started to work with special needs children. I applied DO and MD got secondary's from all but chose DO as I want private practice and not corporate medicine. Regenerative medicine and wilderness medicine are my interest. My cousin did internal medicine then fellowships in cardiovascular and functional medicine as an MD now runs Scripp integrative cardiology. A DO I know did anesthesiology and does pain management now.
This is weird and aggressive to write on a year old post. Do you give this condescending spiel to every person who only applies MD? I am quite aware that DOs are real doctors and I look forward to working with them. When I wrote this post I had no experience shadowing DOs and no DO rec letter, which I wasn’t going to be able to get at the start of a global pandemic! I was told DO schools would turn down my app instantly for those reasons so I didn’t waste the money. Luckily I got into my first choice state school close to home.

Posting your whole resume on a random post comes off as insecure and desperate for approval. DOs are not better than MDs and MDs are not better than DOs. Calm down and be happy we’re both going to be doctors.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This is weird and aggressive to write on a year old post. Do you give this condescending spiel to every person who only applies MD? I am quite aware that DOs are real doctors and I look forward to working with them. When I wrote this post I had no experience shadowing DOs and no DO rec letter, which I wasn’t going to be able to get at the start of a global pandemic! I was told DO schools would turn down my app instantly for those reasons so I didn’t waste the money. Luckily I got into my first choice state school close to home.

Posting your whole resume on a random post comes off as insecure and desperate for approval. DOs are not better than MDs and MDs are not better than DOs. Calm down and be happy we’re both going to be doctors.
clearly not insecure but you posted your resume so wanted to let you know successful people apply to both and you may have been in MD school already if you had not applied wider. You appear to be condescending would not want to have you on my team.

clearly not insecure but you posted your resume so wanted to let you know successful people apply to both and you may have been in MD school already if you had not applied wider. You appear to be condescending would not want to have you on my team.
Dude, I posted my resume because this is a forum where people post their applications and ask for advice. What you offered was not advice. I already explained why I didn't apply DO, and I'm telling you now I couldn't "apply wider" because I couldn't afford a ton of applications. I already cast a wide net from unranked to T10s with the number of apps I could afford. If you had actually read my original post you would have seen that.

If you really wanted to help someone you wouldn't have commented on a year-old post. I've already reapplied and been accepted. Let the thread die

Reactions: 2 users
This is odd, forgive me for my ignorance but I thought Ivy League always looks great on your application, why didn't she get accepted? What was the reason she got rejected?

In my country (Slovenia) - DO as a school/profession doesn't exist.
the Yale grad's father is an orthopedist and she worked research. She had a 3.67 GPA and a 515 MCAT score. She applied to top tier. I thought she should apply wider