Midlevels in Neurology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deafdealer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was thinking Neuro would be too complex for encroachment but I seem to see a lot of NPs on stroke service. Is this the norm or is Neuro relatively safe from midlevels?

Members don't see this ad.

I was thinking Neuro would be too complex for encroachment but I seem to see a lot of NPs on stroke service. Is this the norm or is Neuro relatively safe from midlevels?
Are those NPs taking anything away from the MDs? Probably not. I have not seen this specifically but I would imagine they just make life easier by doing a lot of the simple tasks for the low acuity patients and help a ton with the social aspects like working with the social workers on SNFs and such. I could be wrong but just my guess.

I did work with a PA on a team in the neuro ICU. That guy really knew his stuff and he was a super hard worker. He would have all the orders put in as we talked about them during rounds. It made things much more manageable for the attending and residents.

Reactions: 1 users
Inpatient stroke is kind of unique, especially in an academic center. There are all sorts of things that go into maintaining your stroke center accreditation, like nit-picky documentation of times and core measures. We have NPs on our stroke service that do a good job of making sure all these boxes get checked so that as residents we can focus on the neurology. It's also nice to have them because they can take care of a lot of the floor issues that persist past an acute stroke. I think it's pretty safe to say they make life easier without encroaching on our territory.

Reactions: 2 users
Agree with above. Having NPs/PAs around that know what they're doing is a huge relief. There's more than enough neurology to go around, don't worry.