• The site has been updated!

If you see any bugs, please report them in this thread.

Midwest programs

curious monkey

10+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Anybody know much or have any comments about these programs - GRMERC (Grand Rapids/Michigan State University), Akron Children's Hospital, Detroit Children's Hospital of Michigan? I'm curious as to what others thought or know of these programs. Thanks

Podocyte

10+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Go to Grand Rapids!! I LOVED that program. I would love to go there but unfortunately will probably go elsewhere due to personal reasons. I have some friends that are residents there and I did an elective there. The program director is AMAZING, really cares about her residents, and is all around a great person. Many of the residents describe her as a close friend of theirs. I thought the attendings to be really great, approachable people. The facilities were nice, and they are building that beautiful new hospital. Also, tons of $$ is getting poured into Grand Rapids, it will really boom a lot (I know other academic places in Michigan are getting worried about competition), especially when the med school moves there, that transition starts next year. As it stands Grand Rapids is the BEST of all the Michigan State programs, I feel like not a lot of people realize that. AND Grand Rapids is a really fun town! Lots of bars, super close to the beach, and great cost of living! This place is the greatest best kept secret of all the places I went!

Detroit: I thought the facilities weren't too nice, shared call rooms, ugh. The people were really friendly but everyone kept saying how hard they worked. I know we're going to work hard, but these residents really emphasized it, it kind of put me off. Additionally, I didn't want to have to commute.

Anyways, just my two cents. Hope it helps! Let me know if you want any more info on Grand Rapids!

curious monkey

10+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
any feelings on the didactic education and training on the floors of either program. Thanks for your two cents, it's really helpful. Additionally, if anybody has any thoughts on akron i'd love to hear about it. thanks

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.