Midwest Psych Residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsychFuture

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently in the application process and I was wondering if anyone out there had opinions they would like to share about Psych programs located in Minnesota, WIsconsin, Iowa and Illinois.

thanks.

Sarah

Members don't see this ad.

PsychFuture said:
I am currently in the application process and I was wondering if anyone out there had opinions they would like to share about Psych programs located in Minnesota, WIsconsin, Iowa and Illinois.
Sarah

I applied to UIC, based on advice from a faculty member at another school; UIC is supposed to have a pretty broad approach, not too heavily weighted towards either the biological or psychoanalytic end of the spectrum. My interview there isn't until December, though.

I met a med student from U. of Iowa who had been a clinical pscyhologist before...she was unimpressed with the psychiatry department because it was so heavily biologically-oriented. One of the faculty members had never heard of the humanistic school of therapy. If neuroscience is your thing though, there is a lot of MRI research in their psychiatry department.

alina_s said:
I applied to UIC, based on advice from a faculty member at another school; UIC is supposed to have a pretty broad approach, not too heavily weighted towards either the biological or psychoanalytic end of the spectrum. My interview there isn't until December, though.

I met a med student from U. of Iowa who had been a clinical pscyhologist before...she was unimpressed with the psychiatry department because it was so heavily biologically-oriented. One of the faculty members had never heard of the humanistic school of therapy. If neuroscience is your thing though, there is a lot of MRI research in their psychiatry department.

I just recently interview at UIC and I was pretty impressed. I am also curious about Madison, Wi UW hospitals program.

Members don't see this ad :)
PsychFuture said:
thanks.
Sarah

Here's the Scutwork.com review by our residents:
http://www.scutwork.com/cgi-bin/links/review.cgi?ID=1316&d=1 :thumbup: :D

I'd be happy to talk with you about Mayo (the only one I know about), if you'd like to email me at [email protected]

Chris

PsychFuture said:

thanks.

Sarah

I'm a PGY-2 at Indiana; but did interview at several programs in those states.

I agree with the comments regarding U of Iowa. Though I really liked the program, residents, and faculty, I thought it was too biologically based for me. That was one of the complaints the residents also had when I visited there. I was also concerned about the diversity given the isolation of Iowa City.

U of Wisconsin....I really like a lot. I thought the program was very well balanced with a lot of focus on CBT. I also thought the residents and faculty were wonderful. Madison is also a great city to live in and you are just about an hour from Milwaukee. I did not care for the facilities. All the hospitals/units could use some renovations. Otherwise I had a great impression...

Med Coll. of Wisc....I also liked this program. Lots of opportunity for research. However, program director was leaving the year I was applying, so that lost my interest.

U of Minnesota....I was not sure about this program. Several years back there were internal conflicts in the department resulting in the split into 2 programs (U of M and Hennepin). Given that, Hennepin was seeing the majority of the Emergency psych cases, substance abuse, and indigent population. I thought I might get short-changed. Also, I did not get to meet any of the residents other than the chief...so did not know how to take that. Otherwise, I thought the program had a fair balance between psychotherapy and pharmacology. Minneapolis is also a very nice city.