Midwestern Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mediocrates

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, new on the board here with a quick question.

Are there any schools that are known to give a little bit harder look at applicants from po-dunk midwestern states with small (S. Dakota) or no (Montana) in state medical schools?

Sorry if this has been asked, I looked and looked and couldn't find anything.

Ka-CHOW!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know if this helps, but one of my friends is from Wyoming, and he's had interviews at two California schools, Yale and Northwestern--I know he's instate for U Washington, but he hasn't heard much from them

Michigander here. For some clarity, when you say "harder look" are you talking about schools that seem to give a little preference to midwesterners? I know in Michigan we have enough schools, who give in-state preference, but Michigan State's MD school has a rural health program that may be "po-dunk friendly" and worth a look. I don't know if schools would publish a state preference, besides their own state. What state are you in now? And what's with the Ka-Chow?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, new on the board here with a quick question.

Are there any schools that are known to give a little bit harder look at applicants from po-dunk midwestern states with small (S. Dakota) or no (Montana) in state medical schools?

Sorry if this has been asked, I looked and looked and couldn't find anything.

Ka-CHOW!

I don't know a lot of details, but...

SIU (Southern Illinois University) is notorious for staying away from applicants from anywhere near Chicago, because they are very focused on accepting people interested in practicing rural health, and the training for that community is quite good. I honestly can't tell you, though, if that translates into 'any-po-dunk-state friendly' or just 'downstate Illinois friendly.'

But it might be worth checking out at least.

I don't know a lot of details, but...

SIU (Southern Illinois University) is notorious for staying away from applicants from anywhere near Chicago, because they are very focused on accepting people interested in practicing rural health, and the training for that community is quite good. I honestly can't tell you, though, if that translates into 'any-po-dunk-state friendly' or just 'downstate Illinois friendly.'

But it might be worth checking out at least.

IIRC, SIU only accepts in-state people for their regular MD program (I think they will consider out-of-staters for their MD/JD program, etc.). So South Dakota or Montana residence would be of no help to the OP. Sorry! :(

According to the MSAR, Montana and Wyoming (maybe other states, too--not clear on that one) have a special agreement with other states that have med schools (WICHE/PSEP). Here's some info copied from this link: http://wiche.edu/sep/psep/index.asp

WICHE's Professional Student Exchange Program enables students in 13 western states to enroll in selected out-of-state professional programs usually because those fields of study are not available at public institutions in their home states.

Exchange students receive preference in admission. They pay reduced levels of tuition: for most students, resident tuition in public institutions or reduced standard tuition at private schools. The home state pays a support fee to the admitting school to help cover the cost of students' education. Fields supported by your state are listed below. State support and program participation affecting students are subject to change by legislative or administrative action. The number of students supported by each state is determined through state legislative appropriations.

Good luck--it stinks not having an official in-state med school, but other med schools apparently save a few places in each class for WICHE students. :thumbup:

Both Colorado and UW participate in programs for students from these states. There may be others too, I just can't remember right now.