Midwestern, CCP (c/o 2016)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jkong

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi applying class, :)

I haven't seen anyone start a thread for Midwestern CCP 2016 so here you go! I applied last cycle and will be attending this fall. It's really exciting to be moving to Chi-town, although I will miss Southern California. If you guys have any questions, go ahead and ask!

Best of luck! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Hi applying class, :)

I haven't seen anyone start a thread for Midwestern CCP 2016 so here you go! I applied last cycle and will be attending this fall. It's really exciting to be moving to Chi-town, although I will miss Southern California. If you guys have any questions, go ahead and ask!

Best of luck! :luck:

Hey! So, I am applying here now. Do you have any tips in general? I have a 3.96 gpa and 88 pcat.

Does Midwestern put more emphasis on GPA and PCAT scores?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! So, I am applying here now. Do you have any tips in general? I have a 3.96 gpa and 88 pcat.

With those stats, you'll definitely have multiple acceptances! :)
I had a 2.6 pharmcas gpa and 76 pcat.

Make sure you supplement those stats with good extracurriculars/experience. Once you get to the interview, it's pretty much acceptance or wait-list. MWU doesn't have a traditional 'ranking' wait-list, they describe it as a lottery wait-list.

Ace your interview by being relaxed, enthusiastic, and speak up! Think before you speak. Don't mumble or come off like a monotone boring robot.
Prepare a list of possible interview questions (SDN, interview feedback) and go over it the night before or the flight there. Have a "list" of unique experiences in your head.

Definitely, save up money! Traveling expenses, hotel expenses, taxi rides, time-off from work, supplemental applications... they will add up fast.

I'm sure you'll find a lot of tips on SDN, but I hope this is a little to get you started :) Goodluck!:luck:

p.s. Apply early. Nov 1 should at least be your own deadline only because CA students will apply to CA and out-of-state schools. CA is a big state and a LOT of pre-pharms

Does Midwestern put more emphasis on GPA and PCAT scores?

I wanna say no just because my own stats aren't great. I believe I got the last possible interview date in early/mid May, wait-listed until early July. I was offered a date in April but it was too soon to take time off from work.

So I want to say they use GPA and PCAT to sort out who to invite first to the interview. Then as students reject MWU because they got accepted to their higher choices, MWU invites more students down the GPA/PCAT scale.

Once you get to the interview, you're pretty in good odds. Apparently there were students that were wait-listed and accepted the week before orientation/classes start!

Can anyone post the essay questions to the supplemental? I'm still waiting on PharmCAS and wanted to get started on them. Thank you so much!:)

Can anyone post the essay questions to the supplemental? I'm still waiting on PharmCAS and wanted to get started on them. Thank you so much!:)

They require a resume/CV to be uploaded which will have to include: work history, extrac/leadership, education history, and hobbies. I believe that was it or at least I've covered most of them.

Here are the questions:
Other than formal coursework, how have your experiences (e.g., extra-curricular activities, volunteer experiences, work, pharmacy technician certification programs, etc.) prepared you for pharmacy school? If you are reapplying to pharmacy school, what steps have you taken to strengthen your application? (1500)
In your own opinion, describe the concept of professionalism (1500)
Good luck!

They require a resume/CV to be uploaded which will have to include: work history, extrac/leadership, education history, and hobbies. I believe that was it or at least I've covered most of them.

Here are the questions:
Other than formal coursework, how have your experiences (e.g., extra-curricular activities, volunteer experiences, work, pharmacy technician certification programs, etc.) prepared you for pharmacy school? If you are reapplying to pharmacy school, what steps have you taken to strengthen your application? (1500)
Good luck!

Thank you so much! :)

I find it kind of funny that Glendale requires so little for the supplemental while CCP requires tons of extras lol, crazy. CV is optional at Glendale and pre-req list isn't on there, well at least through the first page...

With those stats, you'll definitely have multiple acceptances! :)
I had a 2.6 pharmcas gpa and 76 pcat.

Make sure you supplement those stats with good extracurriculars/experience. Once you get to the interview, it's pretty much acceptance or wait-list. MWU doesn't have a traditional 'ranking' wait-list, they describe it as a lottery wait-list.

Ace your interview by being relaxed, enthusiastic, and speak up! Think before you speak. Don't mumble or come off like a monotone boring robot.
Prepare a list of possible interview questions (SDN, interview feedback) and go over it the night before or the flight there. Have a "list" of unique experiences in your head.

Definitely, save up money! Traveling expenses, hotel expenses, taxi rides, time-off from work, supplemental applications... they will add up fast.

I'm sure you'll find a lot of tips on SDN, but I hope this is a little to get you started :) Goodluck!:luck:

p.s. Apply early. Nov 1 should at least be your own deadline only because CA students will apply to CA and out-of-state schools. CA is a big state and a LOT of pre-pharms

I wanna say no just because my own stats aren't great. I believe I got the last possible interview date in early/mid May, wait-listed until early July. I was offered a date in April but it was too soon to take time off from work.

So I want to say they use GPA and PCAT to sort out who to invite first to the interview. Then as students reject MWU because they got accepted to their higher choices, MWU invites more students down the GPA/PCAT scale.

Once you get to the interview, you're pretty in good odds. Apparently there were students that were wait-listed and accepted the week before orientation/classes start!

jkong, when did you turn in your PharmCas and supplement last year? I'm a bit worried because my stats are around yours and I will probably turn in my supplement around October. I only got a 60 on the PCAT that I recently took and am aiming to get it over the 70s for the upcoming September test. My GPA is a 3.1 and I have worked at a pharmacy for 3 months and am involved/leading many extracurricular activities on campus.

csp003 - I had roughly a 3.3 GPA and a 60 on the PCAT. I submitted in September last year and my interview was in December and I was accepted.

I think you have a good shot of getting in. If I were you, I would go ahead and submit since it is a rolling admissions school and then forward your new PCAT scores when it comes in.

Does anyone know when they usually start giving out interview invitations?

I'm hoping to send in my application Sept. 1st. since last year I did it really late and that may have affected my chances.

Members don't see this ad :)
is it possible to get an interview before pcat score is received?
b/c they have my july pcat score but that score is horrible so I'm retaking in Sept 20. So I guess I shouldn't expect any interview invite until the Sept score is received?

b/c they have my july pcat score but that score is horrible so I'm retaking in Sept 20. So I guess I shouldn't expect any interview invite until the Sept score is received?

I am in the same situation!! :(

I will be retaking the test as well. If they think my score is good enough maybe I'll get lucky and get an interview. If not, then they will reevaluate my application once my new scores are in. Most likely I'm in the boat with you too :annoyed:

Hey guys, i'm applying to midwestern... I have about 20 credits earned in high school from IB exams. I transferred these credits to my undergrad institution and they are posted on my undergrad transcript. Anyone know whether CCP requires a transcript from the IBO saying you earned those credits? Or does the credits posted on your undergrad transcript suffice? Help please :/

Finally waited until Midwestern received my PCAT score, going to submit my supplemental tonight or tomorrow.

Anyone know their timeline or is it all spectulations?

Hey guys, i'm applying to midwestern... I have about 20 credits earned in high school from IB exams. I transferred these credits to my undergrad institution and they are posted on my undergrad transcript. Anyone know whether CCP requires a transcript from the IBO saying you earned those credits? Or does the credits posted on your undergrad transcript suffice? Help please :/

Midwestern will honor those credits IF your undergraduate institution awarded you credit. You must have your undergraduate send Midwestern confirmation of the course credit and number of credit.

My situation was that my undergrad listed a lump sum of my AP credits in my transcript. So in order to get a pre-requisite fulfilled, I had my undergraduate fax my AP Verification to Midwestern that included the credits awarded for each subject.

Finally waited until Midwestern received my PCAT score, going to submit my supplemental tonight or tomorrow.

Anyone know their timeline or is it all spectulations?

Don't wait for PharmCAS GPA, PCAT results, etc. SEND IN YOUR APPS if you're done! PharmCAS will receive and forward any incoming information to the schools (ie. pcat). PharmCAS GPA Verification takes a while and why add to that time? Early application is KEY especially if you have low stats.

jkong, when did you turn in your PharmCas and supplement last year? I'm a bit worried because my stats are around yours and I will probably turn in my supplement around October. I only got a 60 on the PCAT that I recently took and am aiming to get it over the 70s for the upcoming September test. My GPA is a 3.1 and I have worked at a pharmacy for 3 months and am involved/leading many extracurricular activities on campus.

I dont remember, but I definitely submitted my pharmcas the night before the California schools were due :p And my supplemental was super late...

CCP 3/01/2011
CGP 2/16/2011

Don't wait for PharmCAS GPA, PCAT results, etc. SEND IN YOUR APPS if you're done! PharmCAS will receive and forward any incoming information to the schools (ie. pcat). PharmCAS GPA Verification takes a while and why add to that time? Early application is KEY especially if you have low stats.

Thanks for the advice. I wasn't waiting because of PCAT score not received by Midwestern, more because I feel my supplemental essay needed more refining.

My PharmCAS is already mailed out to schools July 28th and everything has been ready to go for most of my schools.

Thanks for the advice. I wasn't waiting because of PCAT score not received by Midwestern, more because I feel my supplemental essay needed more refining.

My PharmCAS is already mailed out to schools July 28th and everything has been ready to go for most of my schools.

:) :thumbup:
The supplemental is definitely difficult to fit in so limited words :(

Funny because as our first day of orientation, the first topic to be discussed was professionalism. It's such a broad sense that is perceived differently by different people. Wish you the best and hopefully see you early in the cycle for interviews!

:) :thumbup:
The supplemental is definitely difficult to fit in so limited words :(

Funny because as our first day of orientation, the first topic to be discussed was professionalism. It's such a broad sense that is perceived differently by different people. Wish you the best and hopefully see you early in the cycle for interviews!

Thank you! I am hoping my work experience will be a bonus to take me all the way, I know I shouldn't bank on that but it is a truly unique experience.

I know HelloPanda22 already got invite to interview, but do you know if that is really early in the cycle or is it the norm?

Thank you! I am hoping my work experience will be a bonus to take me all the way, I know I shouldn't bank on that but it is a truly unique experience.

I know HelloPanda22 already got invite to interview, but do you know if that is really early in the cycle or is it the norm?

Use unique situations from your work experience to talk about in your interview. Present that you learned something about yourself and the profession, rather than working just to make ends meet. Review the SDN interview questions... very reflective of the actual interview :)

Any interview before January/February is GREAT and early in my opinion, but each school's process timeline varies ever so slightly. Late is definitely March/April/May.

Here are the questions:
Good luck!

Would the 1500 be referring to the characters used, not the words used? Thank you!

Midwestern will honor those credits IF your undergraduate institution awarded you credit. You must have your undergraduate send Midwestern confirmation of the course credit and number of credit.

My situation was that my undergrad listed a lump sum of my AP credits in my transcript. So in order to get a pre-requisite fulfilled, I had my undergraduate fax my AP Verification to Midwestern that included the credits awarded for each subject.

Btw, do you know if this policy is the same for Downer's Grove and Glendale campuses?

Btw, do you know if this policy is the same for Downer's Grove and Glendale campuses?

Glendale has less question, CV is optional and you don't need to type out your pre-req course.

I can't speak for the Glendale, AZ campus, but yes the whole AP credit thing I described applies to the Downers Grove, IL campus. Give Glendale, AZ a call and I'm sure they can answer that for you.

Hmm, I just got an email inviting me for an interview. Then I checked further down the PHARMCAS school pages site... their deposit for holding an acceptance slot is $1000, and tuition is over $30,000 a year.... happiness just tanked :(

Last edited:
BTW, Jkong, I'm also from Southern California (Glendale). Any tips on acclimating to Chicago if it comes to that? :D

Hmm, I just got an email inviting me for an interview. Then I checked further down the PHARMCAS school pages site... their deposit for holding an acceptance slot is $1000, and tuition is over $30,000 a year.... happiness just tanked :(

When did u submit your supp apication? And did you already take the pcat?
Congrats :)))

BTW, Jkong, I'm also from Southern California (Glendale). Any tips on acclimating to Chicago if it comes to that? :D

Sweet! 818? I was from San Fernando Valley.

The $1000 deposit is the norm sadly. I was on track on attending another school that required two $1,000 deposits. Then MWU pulled me off the waitlist so I paid an additional $1,000... $3,000 total for acceptance. So if you're sending applications in separately for your schools, definitely apply to your top choices earlier than your "backups" or you might end up paying multiple deposits just to hold a seat.

Private schools are typically $30,000 a year and scholarships/grants are hard to come by. My financial aid is all loans. It sucks but in the long run hopefully you can make it back.

Definitely look into Income Based Repayment (IBR). Apparently after a certain amount of payments or something, the rest of the loans can be forgiven. Check it out here: http://www.ibrinfo.org/

MWU-CCP definitely wants you to have your own mode of transportation, especially for Winter Qtr of your first year (called PS-1). That's when we have our community (retail) rotations and its difficult for the coordinator to arrange carpools.

So far, Chicago's summer is very humid and hot. We're having 90 F. When I went for my interview in May, it was 80s and humid. Thankfully the buildings have really nice AC. I could only best describe it as a super hot day in San Fernando Valley. I'll let you know about the Winter as soon as I experience it but from the sounds of it, it's pretty intense.

When did u submit your supp apication? And did you already take the pcat?
Congrats :)))

Thanks. I submitted my supplemental application on September first. The extremely quick interview invite struck me as suspicious at first, since my stats are meh...

I took the PCAT in July of this year.

Thanks. I submitted my supplemental application on September first. The extremely quick interview invite struck me as suspicious at first, since my stats are meh...

I took the PCAT in July of this year.

Congrats on your invite. Do you mind sharing your stats?

Congrats on your invite. Do you mind sharing your stats?

Not at all.

overall GPA (according to pharmcas): 3.25
Science GPA: 3.19
math GPA: 2.86
Overall GPA in senior year was a 3.47, so a slight upwards trend.

89 composite on the pcat (though a 64 for the QA section).

No pharmacy experience (though I got a tech license).

about 80 hours volunteering at hospital (though mostly clerical and office work).

Involved in a few EC groups in college (not in healthcare though)

Can anyone who has received an interview invitation here tell me what days they are on? I am just curious because I'm expecting an invite soon and just booked my interview at the Glendale campus for the 30th, just hoping that they aren't on the same cycle, thus pushing me back a month!!!

Can anyone who has received an interview invitation here tell me what days they are on? I am just curious because I'm expecting an invite soon and just booked my interview at the Glendale campus for the 30th, just hoping that they aren't on the same cycle, thus pushing me back a month!!!

Mine is on September 28.

On a side note, if we want to wait for a future interview slot, would that be detrimental to the chances of acceptance? I wanna hold out for some of the other schools first...

I wish I knew, I'm just as confused. I am hoping I get an invitation to my first choice schools soon because I can't afford to throw down deposits!!!

^ congrats.
im still waiting to take the sept pcat before any interviews... :(

Hey guys,

I'm currently a PS1 at MWU CCP and I thought that I'd chip in my two cents about the whole application process since it wasn't that long ago that I was looking to SDN for advice.

So during orientation, professionalism was drilled into our heads. And according to other PS2 and PS3 (second and third year) students, professionalism will be drilled into our heads for the next 3 years. When you think about it, professionalism IS important but MWU specifically take it really seriously.

Hence, really pay attention to the second part of your supplemental - "Define Professionalism." I wouldn't know too much about the application process, but I'm guessing that they will really look into that essay. If your grades and PCAT scores are above average, I'm sure you'll get at least the interview, assuming you turn in everything in a timely manner.

During the interview process, since I'm guessing it'll be group interviews, speak up and be confident. Try to be memorable in a good way, without being cocky and arrogant. Stick out so the interviewers will remember you.

If you guys have any other questions, don't be afraid or shy to post or message me. Thanks guys, and good luck!

Hey guys, I got an interview invite to Midwestern today for the Sept 28th. I am from CA and will be attending.

Hey guys, I got an interview invite to Midwestern today for the Sept 28th. I am from CA and will be attending.

Congrats. Mine is on the same day, though i still haven't confirmed...

Just got an invite interview too on the same day... hope to meet you guys there.

I got an interview as well! :D

Mine is on September 28.

On a side note, if we want to wait for a future interview slot, would that be detrimental to the chances of acceptance? I wanna hold out for some of the other schools first...

I'm wondering the same thing... i kinda am scheduled to retake the PCAT that day haha