Midwestern, CCP (c/o 2018)

Started by jkong
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Weird... Are you actually able to schedule the interview in your portal? Also, I've read in that in past years (creeper alert) that MWU pretty much "grants anyone an interview as long as you meet the minimum"...I personally don't know how true this is, because the school's site alludes to them reviewing your file and THEN selecting cantidates that they think they should interview, but I digress.

Anyways, congrats on the interview invite regardless! 🙂
I'm almost positive that's true, but admissions said otherwise. It's possible that they wait for you to interview well and then review your file if the interview is favorable. I suppose that would weed out a lot of work on their part when determining who would be a good fit for the school, since those who accept interviews are probably more serious about attending.
 
Did anyone actually have an interview yet? Mine is on Oct 18 but I just heard that a bunch of ppl got accepted at Midwestern in Glendale last week already. I was just curious because they are saying that the interview process in Glendale changed from group to individual.
 
Did anyone actually have an interview yet? Mine is on Oct 18 but I just heard that a bunch of ppl got accepted at Midwestern in Glendale last week already. I was just curious because they are saying that the interview process in Glendale changed from group to individual.

I saw that as well. I went to MWU's website and saw that on the Glendale page it says under the campus visit section that the interview is one-on-one. Downer's Grove still says it's a group interview, so I'm assuming it's still a group interview there. My interview is on the 18th as well, so I guess we'll see for sure at the same time, haha.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I saw that as well. I went to MWU's website and saw that on the Glendale page it says under the campus visit section that the interview is one-on-one. Downer's Grove still says it's a group interview, so I'm assuming it's still a group interview there. My interview is on the 18th as well, so I guess we'll see for sure at the same time, haha.

Ok good because I am prepared for a group interview. I will see you there
 
It is still a group interview. I clarified with an admissions counselor a couple of days ago. She said Glendale has a separate director who determines structure at that campus.
 
Ahem, some insider dates 🙂

Friday, October 18, 2013 (12:00 to 1:00 pm)
Friday, October 25, 2013 (12:00 to 1:00 pm)
Wednesday, November 6, 2013 (12:00 to 1:00 pm)
Thanksgiving Break (12:00 to 1:00 pm)
Friday, December 6, 2013 (12:00 to 1:00 pm)
Friday, December 13, 2013 (12:00 to 1:00 pm)
Friday, January 10, 2014 (12:00 to 1:00 pm)
Friday, January 24, 2014 (12:00 to 1:00 pm)
Wednesday, February 12, 2014 (12:00 to 1:00 pm)
Friday, February 14, 2014 (12:00 to 1:00 pm)
Friday, February 21, 2014 (12:00 to 1:00 pm)
Wednesday, February 26, 2014 (12:00 to 1:00 pm)
 
Ahem, some insider dates 🙂

Friday, October 18, 2013 (12:00 to 1:00 pm)
Friday, October 25, 2013 (12:00 to 1:00 pm)
Wednesday, November 6, 2013 (12:00 to 1:00 pm)
Thanksgiving Break (12:00 to 1:00 pm)
Friday, December 6, 2013 (12:00 to 1:00 pm)
Friday, December 13, 2013 (12:00 to 1:00 pm)
Friday, January 10, 2014 (12:00 to 1:00 pm)
Friday, January 24, 2014 (12:00 to 1:00 pm)
Wednesday, February 12, 2014 (12:00 to 1:00 pm)
Friday, February 14, 2014 (12:00 to 1:00 pm)
Friday, February 21, 2014 (12:00 to 1:00 pm)
Wednesday, February 26, 2014 (12:00 to 1:00 pm)

Thanks so much, Jkong!!
Also, I was gonna ask, did you have your bachelor's when you got in? I'll have my bachelor's in bio in the spring and didn't know how much good pull that'd have for me. Thanks for all of your info and help!
 
I love your location... just wanted to let you know! hahaha 🙂

Good luck on your interview! 😀
 
Well, the 18th is almost here! Good luck to everyone interviewing tomorrow. 🙂 Hopefully I'll get to meet some of you.
 
Thanks so much, Jkong!!
Also, I was gonna ask, did you have your bachelor's when you got in? I'll have my bachelor's in bio in the spring and didn't know how much good pull that'd have for me. Thanks for all of your info and help!

Yes, I have a Biochemistry and Cell Biology, BS degree when I applied. I had taken a year off after graduation to work and focus on the PCAT, and applying. However if you're "in-progress" towards a degree, I would consider that the same as someone who already has their degree because you'll have it by matriculation (acceptance and completed all paperwork... consider your matriculation date the same as first day of pharmacy school)

I think it helps if Admissions had to decide between someone who does have a degree vs someone who does not. However, it should not discourage students without a bachelor's degree!! As long as you fulfill the pre-requisites, you're eligible 🙂

More insider info...Here's a FAQ that our applicants ask Admissions.
How big are the classes?
That varies depending on the course. Some are in small classrooms, while others are in lecture halls. Many of the larger courses also break down into smaller groups and labs for more individual interaction. Our professors make themselves available to answer your questions before or after class, often during class as part of their interactive lecture, or via email, usually within 24 hours. You also have your own faculty advisor, who can assist you. We plan to accept 214 students for the Fall of 2014.

(jkong note: most almost all the professors have an open door policy so it's normal to show up at their office without an appointment It's encouraged to set up an appointment to make sure they're available for you but your professors are usually there during lunch breaks to answer questions. Also, your professors know who you are, no kidding. For example, in one course we had, our professor had already memorized our names by the 2nd lecture. She's my faculty advisor and she's amazing, you'll adore her)

Will we be taught by TAs?
CCP TA's primarily serve in course administration roles, rather than in teaching roles. In a few courses in the department of pharmaceutical sciences, TAs on occasion may also provide some lectures and assist faculty with lab or workshop facilitation.

(jkong note: all the teaching is done by the professors. TAs manage BlackBoard and general reminders/correspondence like "we've returned your assignments in your mailbox, please check to make sure your grade matches your grade posted online" etc)

Is the quarter system a lot more work?
No. In reality, the amount of material covered in a year's time is the same as a semester system. It's just broken down into thirds, rather than halves. The pace may seem quicker because assessments are given more frequently. This may require some adjustment if you're used to semesters.

How many classes are with students from other programs?
During the PS-1 and PS-2 year there are some classes that are shared with students in other programs, such as Biochemistry, Pharmacology and Health Care Communications. But after that, most of your classes are with your fellow pharmacy students.

Are there a lot of research opportunities for students?
Our faculty are almost always involved in some form of research, and many seek out students to help them. The best way to find these opportunities is to network with faculty who teach and do research in areas you are interested in. A list of Faculty Research interest is also available as a reference for students.

What kinds of extracurricular activities are available for students?
There are more than 15 very active pharmacy-related student organizations available, plus additional organizations that appeal to all Midwestern University students. In addition, there are a number of intramural sports that students may sign up for, as well as more leisurely classes available (like knitting). Student activities, such as theater outings, are also available.

(jkong note: past events... Les Miserables, Book of Mormon, Wicked... for less than $50 typically for a ticket that includes free bus transportation that leaves campus for the theater usually located in downtown Chicago. Seats are in the nosebleeds but who cares! My favorite MWU events.)

Will I need a car?
Yes, we recommend that all students have their own car. For first-year pharmacy students, rotations at community pharmacies begin in winter quarter, and assigned rotation sites are all over the Chicago area. While we can honor requests for some coordination of sites for carpooling purposes, this becomes increasingly difficult in the second year when students' schedules become more individualized.

(jkong note: parking on campus is FREE)

How many students live on campus?
About 350 students live on campus. The largest percentage is pharmacy students. Living on campus may be ideal for those students who will be experiencing occasional snowfalls for the first time, so that driving habits can be adapted at a more leisurely pace.

(jkong note: you can live on campus for all 4 years if you wanted. I've had the same room for 3 years now. If you guys interview when I'm assigned, I'll be opening my door for you to check out what our dorm rooms are like. I apologize in advanced if it's messy, I'll try to clean it the night before)

How is the weather here?
Chicagoans have the pleasure of experiencing all four seasons. And, the campus and surrounding natural areas are beautiful in the fall, winter, spring and summer. Chicago winters are really not that bad. We'll get an occasional big snowfall, but there's always plenty of warning beforehand (and often, the hype is greater than the snowfall!). We don't get the big "nor-easters," Minnesota snowstorms or Colorado snowfalls, all of which can dump a significant amount of snow at a time. We can get the chilly temperatures (when its not snowing). But if you're dressed for it and prepared, you'll come to enjoy winter. Students love to make snowmen all over campus, have snowball fights, and go sledding on the hill in the back of campus.

Why are the buildings always locked? Is this area safe?
We value the safety of our students, faculty and staff. On today's education campuses, all students should feel that they are in a safe learning environment. While we have never had an incident where the safety of anyone was threatened, we do prefer to take a proactive stance in ensuring that everyone on campus feels safe.

(jkong note: super safe campus)

When will I find out if I've been accepted?
Our admissions committee meets approximately every four to six weeks to review completed applications and determine acceptances. Depending on when your application is deemed to be complete (including your interview), that will determine your notification timeframe. Notification letters are mailed within a week of admissions committee meetings. For your particular application, please feel free to contact the Admissions Office for your specific acceptance notification timeframe.

What if I change my mind about coming here?
Please contact the Admissions Office.

Can I work while attending the program?
Many of our students do work while they are enrolled. Though many do so on a minimal basis. As a first-year student, its recommended to commit to working just a few hours each week, so that you can accommodate your course workload. Once you are adjusted to the new pace, you can make adjustments as you see fit. We also have a work-study program, where qualified students may work towards reducing their student loans.

(jkong: there are on-campus work study jobs like Admissions Office, Student Services, Wellness Center, etc. I did not work my first year, work-study my second year, and this year I work at Costco pharmacy as a technician)

How successful have your recent grads been at securing employment?
Based on surveys of graduating pharmacy students conducted each year, roughly 75% of our students have employment or residency positions secured at the time of graduation. This percentage increases significantly within the first couple of months following graduation.

(jkong note: we just had a Career Expo and our PS-4 students had exclusive interviews with Walgreens, Target, Advocate Health Systems residency, etc)
 
I've been accepted as well! MWU was my top choice, so I'm VERY excited! Can't wait to meet some of you in person 🙂

Edit: also, congrats!!! I was so overwhelmed with my own joy I forgot to congratulate you!
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congratulations to all that has been accepted. Would you all mind sharing your stats ?

Yeah... My stats.... Don't laugh at my terrible PCAT!!

cGPA: 3.09
sGPA: 2.72
(PharmCas calculations)
Pcat: 49 composite (I took it in 2011, bombed the math portion because I got tired of being there lol, and never wanted to re-take it. But my math GPA is 3.77, so I think that really helped my case)
BS in Biology
2 1/2 years of retail tech experience and cPhT (and waitressed at the same time, while going to school)
6? Extracurriculars, most of them directly correlating to the health field.
LORs: 1 PharmD, 1 RPH, and the last one was from a professor I had who coincidently also has a PhD in pharmacology.

Really my stats were not ultra competitive by any means, and I was slightly ashamed of that. BUT- I applied very early (pharmcas was verified in late July) and I believe I had a very strong interview/personal statement. I worked very hard to show that although some of my stats weren't great, I made up for it by doing _____. I think that is key. MWU wants well-rounded students, not just applicants with solid GPAs. They said at their interview on the 18th that they are very big on having great communicators going to their school, and those with lots of balance in their application (good time management).

I'm sorry this answer is probably much more than you bargained for, just trying to help you and others lurking (been there, done that) out. If anyone has any questions about the interview or anything like that, I would be happy to try and help. 🙂

Good luck to everyone who is applying!! And thanks for the congrats!
 
Here are my stats:

GPA: 3.78
sGPA: 3.54
PCAT: 84
LORs: One from a pharmacist I volunteered along side for almost 3 years, one from my favorite biology professor who was involved in cancer research.
Associate's in Science, with a full scholarship, from a local community college.
Certified pharmacy tech.

PharmCAS application date: 8/15/13
PharmCAS GPA calc: 8/15/13
MWU supplemental invitation: 8/19/13
MWU supplemental completion: 8/19/13
MWU interview invitation: 9/11/13
MWU interview: 10/18/13
MWU acceptance: 10/23/13
 
Last edited:
I was in group 1 and the only thing on my portal that looks different is the front page. Where did you go to see acceptance? Or did you get an email?

In my portal, I can see the accepted student checklist and matriculation agreement. And Kerry emailed me about a half hour ago confirming it.
 
Was the nterview group interview or one and one and what types of questions should I prepare for

Midweestern one of my top choices!! IM FROM OHIO
 
In my portal, I can see the accepted student checklist and matriculation agreement. And Kerry emailed me about a half hour ago confirming it.

Right after I posted this I got an email from her too..I was put on the alternate list🙁 I will not lose hope though since we were the first group I still have a long way to go. Congrats to you🙂
 
Hey I interviewed on 10 /18 and was accepted! Here are my sstats!

Pcat :90
Gpa : 3.8
Lors from 2 pharmacists and 1 professor

I was in group 6 for interview. To the other one in group 6, what's your name so I can put a future classmate with a face
 
Pharm199104- it's a group interview. For a list of questions to prepare with, check out SDN's interview feedback. I filled it out with the questions I got from last week's interview! And it's nothing to stress over! I was super worried about it but once you get there you'll see it's very laid back. Good luck!

Pharmacyathlete- bummer! 🙁 sorry to hear that. But I'm pretty sure they pull from the wait list every time the AdCom meets, so I'm sure you'll get accepted. Don't give up! It's still early. 🙂

Pharmacy2424- Hello! I'm Gwendolyn (I usually go by Gwen). Congrats on your acceptance! And who are you? Hah 🙂
 
Pharm199104- it's a group interview. For a list of questions to prepare with, check out SDN's interview feedback. I filled it out with the questions I got from last week's interview! And it's nothing to stress over! I was super worried about it but once you get there you'll see it's very laid back. Good luck!

Pharmacyathlete- bummer! 🙁 sorry to hear that. But I'm pretty sure they pull from the wait list every time the AdCom meets, so I'm sure you'll get accepted. Don't give up! It's still early. 🙂

Pharmacy2424- Hello! I'm Gwendolyn (I usually go by Gwen). Congrats on your acceptance! And who are you? Hah 🙂

Thanks Gwen. I know that is what Kerry said was that they re-review every time AdCom meets I believe. I havent lost hope. I am just happy I was able to meet a lot of very nice people while I was there
 
Hey I interviewed on 10 /18 and was accepted! Here are my sstats!

Pcat :90
Gpa : 3.8
Lors from 2 pharmacists and 1 professor

I was in group 6 for interview. To the other one in group 6, what's your name so I can put a future classmate with a face
Are you from Illinois? I think there were only a few of us from IL.

Gwen, were you sitting closer to the front in the room?
 
Are you from Illinois? I think there were only a few of us from IL.

Gwen, were you sitting closer to the front in the room?

Edit: I got confused and thought you were in my group haha! In the main room, I was siting in the back actually. The last seat in the second row. I don't think I talked to any group 2s... But not 100% sure of that. Maybe I did talk to you! Hah!
 
Last edited:
Aw probably not, I was towards the front.

On a side note, what's the deal with that Facebook page posted earlier? Does someone want to make a group for the class of 2018?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I didn't see a FB group posted earlier... Maybe I need to re-read some posts.

Are you going to be attending next year or are you gonna wait for other schools to get back with you?
 
I will be having my interview on Nov. 6th, how many people are typically being interviewed in one group?
 
Gwen-
Its Heather! I was in your interview group across the table from you. Looks like we may be classmates. Are you waiting to hear from other schools, or are you responding yes right away? I know I have quite a few other interviews coming up so I am going to wait, but it is definitely good to know I have at least one option under my belt!
 
Gwen-
Its Heather! I was in your interview group across the table from you. Looks like we may be classmates. Are you waiting to hear from other schools, or are you responding yes right away? I know I have quite a few other interviews coming up so I am going to wait, but it is definitely good to know I have at least one option under my belt!

Hi Heather!!! I'm gonna be responding right away. I really loved the visit last week, so I'm excited that I know where I'll be going next year and I'm excited to be done worrying about the application process. Good luck with your other interviews! It was nice meeting you, too. 🙂
 
I didn't see a FB group posted earlier... Maybe I need to re-read some posts.

Are you going to be attending next year or are you gonna wait for other schools to get back with you?
I'm going to be attending MWU next year. I'll still probably go to my UIC interview, just because.
 
Midwestern received my PCAT score on October 22nd and the Downers Grove campus e-mailed me today with an interview invitation. I chose November 6th because it was the earliest date available. The Glendale campus also e-mailed me today, but I was placed on a waitlist for interviews there. I'm a bit confused since I thought the Downers Grove campus was more competitive. They have a supplemental application while Glendale doesn't, and they're also ranked higher. I read somewhere that the Downers Grove interview uses a closed file process, so I'm worried I'll be rejected the second they see my GPA and PCAT score 🙁

I always though Glendale was more competitive and looked for higher scores because of them being a 3-year program (and based on what I've read on SDN)... But that's just my opinion on it, so I could be completely incorrect there. If you're worried about you stats, go back a page in this thread and look at my stats. My pcat was TERRIBLE, my GPA was okay-ish, but nothing amazing, and I interviewed on October 18th and received my acceptance last week. If you have any more questions feel free to pm or ask on here. But definitely don't give up hope! If there's one thing I discovered throughout this whole process, it's that you are your biggest critic. What you think is bad still might not be that bad at all 🙂 Good luck!
 
I am going to the interview on Nov 6th. I am kinda nervous. What type of questions do they ask on the interview? Is there a writing portion to it?

Thanks
 
I am going to the interview on Nov 6th. I am kinda nervous. What type of questions do they ask on the interview? Is there a writing portion to it?

Thanks

I was super nervous about my interview, but it's really a breeze! For pretty much exact questions, check out the interview feedback here on SDN. That's what I used to prepare and it helped a lot! As for writing, you are asked to complete an "essay" (really a short answer question) where you have a sheet of paper front and back to respond to a question regarded a moral dilemma. There's no right or wrong answer, just as long as you back up your opinion you should be fine. 🙂 but seriously, don't stress! Everyone is super nice and it's very laid back.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got accepted into Roosevelt, but I have an interview at Midwestern November 6th. Does anyone know when the committee is supposed to meet next because this is my first choice.
 
Hey everyone! I just wanted to say hi. I was accepted into the class of 2017 but unfortunately had to take a leave of absence due to an unfortunate family circumstance. Now I'm in the class of 2018 with hopefully most of you! I've already gone through the interview process and have 2 weeks of school experience (I know.. not a lot) from here so if you have any questions for me too I'd love to answer them. Good luck to all of you during the application process and hope to see you next fall!
 
Hey everyone! I just wanted to say hi. I was accepted into the class of 2017 but unfortunately had to take a leave of absence due to an unfortunate family circumstance. Now I'm in the class of 2018 with hopefully most of you! I've already gone through the interview process and have 2 weeks of school experience (I know.. not a lot) from here so if you have any questions for me too I'd love to answer them. Good luck to all of you during the application process and hope to see you next fall!

Hello!! I'll be around next fall 😀