Midwestern or Chicago State?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

danbee16

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got into both Chicago State Pharmacy and Midwestern.. I dont know which one to go too..

Chicago State
- Cheaper tuition - approx 32k a year

Midwestern
- expensive tuition - approx 55k a year

Help??!!

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats. What's your stats?

I vote Midwestern. It's Established
The money you will make back anyway. Safer.

But that's my vote. What's your stats?

What pharmacy school are you going to?

oh another thing is:

Chicago State - 87 students
Midwestern - 201

Members don't see this ad :)
There is a cap for government loans.

How will you pay for Midwestern? It's tough to get private loans now a days.

My choice: CSU, that's where I'll be.

Tuition and fees at CSU is just under 22k at CSU.

With books, cost of living (including board and transportation) CSU sets it at around 33k.

If you dont mind me asking, did you get in anywhere else?

I got into both Chicago State Pharmacy and Midwestern.. I dont know which one to go too..

Chicago State
- Cheaper tuition - approx 32k a year

Midwestern
- expensive tuition - approx 55k a year

Help??!!

I need urgent advice on this too. I was accepted to both as well. I went to orientation for CSU Tuesday and yesterday. I liked what I saw and enjoyed meeting everyone I met there. Then during yesterday's orientation I received a voicemail from Midwestern saying that I got pulled off the waitlist. Class begins on monday for CSU! Orientation for MW is on Sep. 2nd. What should I do?

I would choose Midwestern since it has been around longer and is more established. I didn't apply to csu because I didn't want to go to a new school. I felt that if I was going to make a big investment in my education I wanted to make the safer decision and not take a gamble. I'm actually attending Midwestern in the fall.. Hope this helps :)

I need urgent advice on this too. I was accepted to both as well. I went to orientation for CSU Tuesday and yesterday. I liked what I saw and enjoyed meeting everyone I met there. Then during yesterday's orientation I received a voicemail from Midwestern saying that I got pulled off the waitlist. Class begins on monday for CSU! Orientation for MW is on Sep. 2nd. What should I do?

I am going into my 3rd year at Midwestern, if you have any specific questions PM me... I really like Midwestern and the opportunities I have had. I know a student in the inaugural class at CSU and I am sure they would say the same. Both are great programs, but it is a matter of where you fit and feel the best. Let me know if you have any specific questions!

I would choose Midwestern since it has been around longer and is more established. I didn't apply to csu because I didn't want to go to a new school. I felt that if I was going to make a big investment in my education I wanted to make the safer decision and not take a gamble. I'm actually attending Midwestern in the fall.. Hope this helps :)

I also agree, the one thing I would feel questionable about is CSU opportunities for rotation sites having MWU and UIC in the city also. At one of my IPE clinical sites they take UIC, MWU and students from out of state such as Drake, Butler and Ohio State. In addition the suburbs are nice and safe :) but that is all a matter of preference and where you are comfortable!

I would say Chicago State. It is much cheaper and is a big difference in money. Also, I think the program at CSU seems good as well. I would say go to CSU.

I would say Midwestern. Although CSU may be a good school in the future, it is currently not an accredited program and thus not a good bet if you have already received an acceptance to an accredited institution. Sure, MWU is expensive, but thats what loans are for ;). Just my two rupees.

In the Chicago area, most of the good rotation sites are taken by UIC or Midwestern. Since there will be huge surplus of pharmacists in the Chicago area, school reputation/name will play a bigger role. Midwestern has a better reputation/name than CSU.

I just withdrew my seat @ CSU and decided on Midwestern. However, I will miss the cougar mascott! :(

Members don't see this ad :)
By the way, congrads on getting in. I didn't know they would make people wait this long to let them know if they got in(or not). I don't think I could have waited that late haha.

I just withdrew my seat @ CSU and decided on Midwestern. However, I will miss the cougar mascott! :(

Wise choice! I went to MWU and after being through residency, I felt that MWU prepared me very well.

In the Chicago area, most of the good rotation sites are taken by UIC or Midwestern. Since there will be huge surplus of pharmacists in the Chicago area, school reputation/name will play a bigger role. Midwestern has a better reputation/name than CSU.

Wow, it seems like this member is on a mission to downgrade the pharmacy program at CSU. BTW, Congratulations on you acceptance to MWU, and I hope you enjoy it there. I was accepted to both schools, but felt CSU was right for me. Obviously MWU is established, however, that should not be the sole basis of ones decision. CSU was recognized by the accrediting board for having a very strong curriculum in this evolving profession. As for the rotation sites, CSU's curriculum requires rotations to be performed at a community pharmacy (Walgreens, CVS, Osco, etc.) as well as health care facility (National Kidney foundation, American Cancer Society, City of Chicago Department of Health) in just the first year. If these are not "good" rotation sites, then what are?

Wow, it seems like this member is on a mission to downgrade the pharmacy program at CSU. BTW, Congratulations on you acceptance to MWU, and I hope you enjoy it there. I was accepted to both schools, but felt CSU was right for me. Obviously MWU is established, however, that should not be the sole basis of ones decision. CSU was recognized by the accrediting board for having a very strong curriculum in this evolving profession. As for the rotation sites, CSU's curriculum requires rotations to be performed at a community pharmacy (Walgreens, CVS, Osco, etc.) as well as health care facility (National Kidney foundation, American Cancer Society, City of Chicago Department of Health) in just the first year. If these are not "good" rotation sites, then what are?

No one said anything bad about CSU or the curriculum. Finding quality rotation sits is already a problem in the Chicago area. UIC and MWU sometimes struggle with this already.

Good rotation sites that are saturated with UIC or MWU students... Northwestern (both), UIC hospital (UIC), Loyola (MWU), Univ of Chicago (both), VA's (Jesse Brown, Hines, North Chicago, take both), Advocate Hospitals (Masonic, Christ, Luthern Gen - take both). Plus the alumni ties with other schools in the Midwest like Purdue, Butler, Drake...rotations are scarce as it is.

You didn't mention any hospitals on your post. Walgreens, CVS are a dime a dozen and usually end up being the worst rotations. Genesis is 100% correct in her observation... it is hard enough to find rotation sites for the number of students already in the area...not sure where they will put 80 more.

for those of you that go into midwestern and CSU...what did you get on the PCAT and what was your GPA? I am thinking about applying to both very soon for fall 2010

No one said anything bad about CSU or the curriculum. Finding quality rotation sits is already a problem in the Chicago area. UIC and MWU sometimes struggle with this already.

Good rotation sites that are saturated with UIC or MWU students... Northwestern (both), UIC hospital (UIC), Loyola (MWU), Univ of Chicago (both), VA's (Jesse Brown, Hines, North Chicago, take both), Advocate Hospitals (Masonic, Christ, Luthern Gen - take both). Plus the alumni ties with other schools in the Midwest like Purdue, Butler, Drake...rotations are scarce as it is.

You didn't mention any hospitals on your post. Walgreens, CVS are a dime a dozen and usually end up being the worst rotations. Genesis is 100% correct in her observation... it is hard enough to find rotation sites for the number of students already in the area...not sure where they will put 80 more.

Pardon me for being unclear, the rotation sites I mentioned were for community and public health sites. These sites are required by ACPE in the first year, thus newer schools are implementing this into thier curriculum. Not only does this service as great experience for pharmacy students, it allows them to become acclimated as to the role of pharmacist in the health profession. Also I've worked in retail for many years, and pharmacy student in thier fourth year do thier rotations at community pharmacies for the first time and hate it. Needless to say, if they had experienced community pharmacy earlier in the curriculum, they would have made most of their experience in pharmacy school. Therefore, I mentioned retail chains as rotation sites, not because those sites were easier for the school to get.

As for not mentioning hospital sites, hospital rotations (U of C and others)are done during winter intersession of P2 year as well as the final year. CSU is backed by a strong faculty known throughout the Chicagoland area, thus they will have their alumni ties.

Lastly for the comments directed towards genesis, he/she has had some negative comments towards the school throughout sdn forums. The school has had its bumps, however the College of Pharmacy is fastly being recognized as a strong school.

Pardon me for being unclear, the rotation sites I mentioned were for community and public health sites. These sites are required by ACPE in the first year, thus newer schools are implementing this into thier curriculum. Not only does this service as great experience for pharmacy students, it allows them to become acclimated as to the role of pharmacist in the health profession. Also I've worked in retail for many years, and pharmacy student in thier fourth year do thier rotations at community pharmacies for the first time and hate it. Needless to say, if they had experienced community pharmacy earlier in the curriculum, they would have made most of their experience in pharmacy school. Therefore, I mentioned retail chains as rotation sites, not because those sites were easier for the school to get.

As for not mentioning hospital sites, hospital rotations (U of C and others)are done during winter intersession of P2 year as well as the final year. CSU is backed by a strong faculty known throughout the Chicagoland area, thus they will have their alumni ties.

Lastly for the comments directed towards genesis, he/she has had some negative comments towards the school throughout sdn forums. The school has had its bumps, however the College of Pharmacy is fastly being recognized as a strong school.

No, I think genesis is spot on. Let CSU get accredited first, and then we can talk about it being recognized as a strong school.

No, I think genesis is spot on. Let CSU get accredited first, and then we can talk about it being recognized as a strong school.

Lets not forget who the dean of CSU is... The founder for Midwestern COP... lets try to keep that in mind. Don't think he's lost a step since he founded Midwestern... if anything, he has a better start to a program at CSU than he did getting his first bumps in the road at Midwestern. There have been very minimal bumps, if any at CSU COP so far.

Also, for rotation sites, you can add just about every major hospital in the Chicago area as institutional facilities CSU students will be getting IPPE and APPE hours in.

Agree :thumbup:

To be precise with the VAs; Hines and North Chicago are both MWU and UIC, while Jesse Brown and Crown Point are currently UIC only. I believe there might be Purdue students at Crown Point.
There is never an issue with getting enough retail/community sites. There were 160 of us and there were 300-400 potential required APPE community sites.
The issue is getting good in-patient/outpatient clinic sites. UIC just signed a contract with U of C, and some of the students there say they have nothing to do there. They sit in the cafeteria for hours with nothing to do. They are frustrated with the site. Michael Reese just closed down and that was a big pain to get those students rescheduled.
CSU students will not get rotations at Jesse Brown VA, Rush, Loyola, UIH, Cook County because respectfully UIC or MWU has exclusivity contracts with the locations. This isn't anything abnormal.

Maybe those students placed at U of C should walk around outside. I hear Midway Plaisance is nice. The museum of science and industry is just a ten minute walk away, too.

Maybe those students placed at U of C should walk around outside. I hear Midway Plaisance is nice. The museum of science and industry is just a ten minute walk away, too.

Ummm ... I don't think that's the point. It is VERY irresponsible to leave your workplace, even if you have nothing to do at work. Unless you get explicit permission from your supervisor, you should not consider doing this, and even then, your superiors might frown upon the very idea of you leaving for some "pleasure" walks. You are there to learn and work. The fact those students are not doing that is the concern. The solution is NOT for those student to go to random museums and parks. They need to have work to do - and the fact that they have very little (to no) work to do is a matter of concern (or at least a matter to consider) for students thinking of attending that school/surrounding schools.

CSU students will not get rotations at Jesse Brown VA, Rush, Loyola, UIH, Cook County because respectfully UIC or MWU has exclusivity contracts with the locations. This isn't anything abnormal.

Your wrong. Our students are already in Cook County and the VA. You should just worry about your alma mater, and don't try to get into affairs that you a. Don't have the correct information about and b. Don't apply to you. I know it bothers you that CSU is developing into a noteworthy school, but realistically, theres nothing you can do about it.

Your wrong. Our students are already in Cook County and the VA. You should just worry about your alma mater, and don't try to get into affairs that you a. Don't have the correct information about and b. Don't apply to you. I know it bothers you that CSU is developing into a noteworthy school, but realistically, theres nothing you can do about it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this only the 2nd year of the program? The "real" rotations don't begin until P4 which is 2 years away. I assume that CSU is working hard to find good placements for its inaugural class.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this only the 2nd year of the program? The "real" rotations don't begin until P4 which is 2 years away. I assume that CSU is working hard to find good placements for its inaugural class.

You're right... for IPPE hours they we are already at those sites. But for APPE it will also be the same.

Rush and Loyola are MWU only because those are sites where their faculty practice.

UIH and Jesse Brown VA take UIC students only.

I've been at Hines VA, Northwestern, Mercy, advocate system with both