Midwestern Tips??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuretoothdoctor

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I would really appreciate a little help/advice with regards to the Midwestern supplemental essay.

One of the prompts is, "what makes you uniquely qualified to be accepted into our program?"

One of the most important things I have done during my undergrad is to be involved with research. I want to mention it, but Midwestern isn't traditionally a research school. I don't know if any research is conducted there at all actually. I think they just focus on producing dentists.

Would it be disadvantageous for me to talk about my research in response to this prompt? I'm just worried it may seem like I'm not a good fit for the school or that they might think I should attend a research based school instead. Or, I hope they wouldn't think I haven't looked into their program well enough to know that they don't emphasize research. I guess something else I I could talk about is how prepared I am for dental school, but I already answered that in another essay, which specifically asked about preparation for dental school.

thoughts? I am super confused on what to write about. and i feel a little pressured because everyone is already getting interviews and I am worried that I haven't even submitted yet when Midwestern is one of my top choices. thank you all so much! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Play to your strengths! If research is what you're most familiar about, then don't hesitate to expand on it! I would also add something along the lines of contributing to the Midwestern program with your research skills. They may not be research-oriented but they'd like to see your mindset. If you try to fake a passion, not just MWU AZ but any dental school will see through that.

I'd also add that they care most about your GPA. If that's strong, I think what you write won't matter. I got a hard rejection from them and apparently they liked my EC's and essays, but my GPA was too borderline.

Reactions: 1 user
Just gonna comment on this based on my personal experience/ record:

I actually did research in undergrad and 3 years at Stanford after my graduation. Research was pretty much the only thing I did, can rely on, and able to talk about for hours. So, I say... bring it up! It won't hurt you. If anything, you will need something else to make you more "unique." I know a lot of my classmates have research background. Contrary to what you may believe, there is a lot of research going on at Midwestern university (at least I know for sure we do have plenty of them in MWU-IL). We have research day every year, where hundreds of students and researchers present their works.

So, no... it won't put you in disadvantage.

Oh also... I'm a D3 at MWU-IL, btw..

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

I actually did research in undergrad and 3 years at Stanford after my graduation. Research was pretty much the only thing I did, can rely on, and able to talk about for hours. So, I say... bring it up! It won't hurt you. If anything, you will need something else to make you more "unique." I know a lot of my classmates have research background. Contrary to what you may believe, there is a lot of research going on at Midwestern university (at least I know for sure we do have plenty of them in MWU-IL). We have research day every year, where hundreds of students and researchers present their works.

How do you like MWU? How do you like the location? What is the biggest con of the going to MWU besides cost?

About how much are you paying a year in total costs? Like what will the debt be like?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

How do you like MWU? How do you like the location? What is the biggest con of the going to MWU besides cost?

So far, I love it! It's a perfect balance between an eventful city and a quiet suburb. Also, I enjoy playing in the snow lol.

I feel that there is no big red flag, but being a relatively new school has its challenges. One being changes in courses, mainly the clinical course. My first two years here was very straight forward. I think the school is pretty much all set in regards to its pre-clinical courses. But, personally, I feel that there was some confusion during the transition to the clinic. Maybe, it's just me not being used to the system though...
In terms of graduates, I can say that they are so damn good at what they're doing! (I got to work with some D5s a.k.a. c/o 2016 for a bit)

The cost is indeed high, but we really have state of the art equipment here (especially at the SIM Clinic). I'm not saying this just because I go to MWU. It just that it really is! I went to a few school for ASDA events and I can say that we have the best SIM clinic, as far as I can tell.

About how much are you paying a year in total costs? Like what will the debt be like?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

The debt will be a lot! lol. But hey.. no matter where you go, you'll be in a lot of debt haha! Unfortunately, I didn't have many options when I applied.
I take about 20K+ per quarter. When I graduate, I expect to have about half a million in debt. :(