Midwestern University AZ Interview Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

16DPT

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I am new here and wanted to see if any of you have some advice for me. I have been looking through the forums and have not seen a thread about Midwestern U in Arizona so I thought I would make one.

This will be my first interview for DPT school. My interview is scheduled for October 23rd. Does anyone have any advice that has already interviewed here? I am really nervous.

Thank you guys and good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all! I am new here and wanted to see if any of you have some advice for me. I have been looking through the forums and have not seen a thread about Midwestern U in Arizona so I thought I would make one.

This will be my first interview for DPT school. My interview is scheduled for October 23rd. Does anyone have any advice that has already interviewed here? I am really nervous.

Hey! Congrats on your interview! I also have an interview coming up at MWU and really nervous as well.

I am currently practicing speaking in front of a camera/ laptop and recording myself to see how I sound. Also practicing some basic questions such as "why PT, why MWU". I hope others who have gone through this process can give better advice, but that is what I am doing so far.

Good luck!

Hey! Congrats on your interview! I also have an interview coming up at MWU and really nervous as well.

I am currently practicing speaking in front of a camera/ laptop and recording myself to see how I sound. Also practicing some basic questions such as "why PT, why MWU". I hope others who have gone through this process can give better advice, but that is what I am doing so far.

Good luck!
Congratulations! I have been practicing the generic questions as well. I know they have an essay portion of the interview but I do not think that would be too bad. There are 3 interviews in one day for MWU which is also stressful.

Members don't see this ad :)

I interviewed with Midwestern University in Downer's Grove (IL) last year at the time, and I will assume that it will be the same in Arizona for you because it is the same school.

Due to COVID-19, I don't know what has changed but will give you my take on what to expect. A schedule of the interview day was provided to us in a folder along with other information about the program as you first walk in. They briefly spend the interview day in the beginning talking about the program, financial aid, etc. to start it off like many schools and their interviews. Just like the other person that mentioned this above, there was an essay that they have you complete first before your interview, which is handwritten and gave 15-30 minutes for us to complete (can't remember the exact time). The essay had two prompts, and you only need to choose one to talk about depending on whichever you are most comfortable with.

After that, they split your group up into two halves (there were around 10-15 students for our interview day in total). One half does the interview first, and the other gets a tour of the school by current physical therapy students that attend, along with answering any specific questions you have. They walk you through buildings and show you some rooms to give you an idea of what their lifestyle is like there, along with equipment and what classrooms look like. After that, the group that interviewed first goes on the tour. The one on the tour first then does their interview. I can tell you from experience that Midwestern University was also one of my first interviews and did not know what to expect. This made it a bit stressful, but I promise you that it is not bad at all.

I work as an aide with three other physical therapists who graduated from Midwestern University, and they all told me about their experience and was the exact same as what they described for the interview day. They described it more of as a conversation and barely felt like an interview, which made it less tense. The interview itself was maybe 10-15 minutes long depending on how much you want to talk about with their questions. You can expect them to ask you to introduce and talk about yourself as the very first thing, like many other schools. This is your chance to talk about what makes you unique as a person and for them to determine if you would be a good fit for their school. Try not to make your whole life story and introduction revolve around physical therapy, they already know this from your personal statement and will ask you questions about this later on anyways. Use this chance to talk about things like leadership, hobbies you have, life experiences, etc. for them to get to know you as a person and what you're like. Additional questions they asked me focused on what kind of experiences I have with physical therapy, such as shadowing. They also asked me about what qualities I consider to be important for a physical therapist. Overall, it flowed very well like a normal conversation and was not stressful. The interviewers were very friendly and done by faculty. Try to convince them like I said though, on why you are a good fit for their school. Each school is different on what they look for in an applicant, so do some research about the school to aid with this. Make sure that you sound natural and that you're not just memorizing answers to interview questions, be a human. They don't want robots as physical therapists!

As always, don't just focus on the questions they asked me because they will likely not be the same other than introducing yourself. Walk in confidently, and you both will do great!

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
I interviewed with Midwestern University in Downer's Grove (IL) last year at the time, and I will assume that it will be the same in Arizona for you because it is the same school.

Due to COVID-19, I don't know what has changed but will give you my take on what to expect. A schedule of the interview day was provided to us in a folder along with other information about the program as you first walk in. They briefly spend the interview day in the beginning talking about the program, financial aid, etc. to start it off like many schools and their interviews. Just like the other person that mentioned this above, there was an essay that they have you complete first before your interview, which is handwritten and gave 15-30 minutes for us to complete (can't remember the exact time). The essay had two prompts, and you only need to choose one to talk about depending on whichever you are most comfortable with.

After that, they split your group up into two halves (there were around 10-15 students for our interview day in total). One half does the interview first, and the other gets a tour of the school by current physical therapy students that attend, along with answering any specific questions you have. They walk you through buildings and show you some rooms to give you an idea of what their lifestyle is like there, along with equipment and what classrooms look like. After that, the group that interviewed first goes on the tour. The one on the tour first then does their interview. I can tell you from experience that Midwestern University was also one of my first interviews and did not know what to expect. This made it a bit stressful, but I promise you that it is not bad at all.

I work as an aide with three other physical therapists who graduated from Midwestern University, and they all told me about their experience and was the exact same as what they described for the interview day. They described it more of as a conversation and barely felt like an interview, which made it less tense. The interview itself was maybe 10-15 minutes long depending on how much you want to talk about with their questions. You can expect them to ask you to introduce and talk about yourself as the very first thing, like many other schools. This is your chance to talk about what makes you unique as a person and for them to determine if you would be a good fit for their school. Try not to make your whole life story and introduction revolve around physical therapy, they already know this from your personal statement and will ask you questions about this later on anyways. Use this chance to talk about things like leadership, hobbies you have, life experiences, etc. for them to get to know you as a person and what you're like. Additional questions they asked me focused on what kind of experiences I have with physical therapy, such as shadowing. They also asked me about what qualities I consider to be important for a physical therapist. Overall, it flowed very well like a normal conversation and was not stressful. The interviewers were very friendly and done by faculty. Try to convince them like I said though, on why you are a good fit for their school. Each school is different on what they look for in an applicant, so do some research about the school to aid with this. Make sure that you sound natural and that you're not just memorizing answers to interview questions, be a human. They don't want robots as physical therapists!

As always, don't just focus on the questions they asked me because they will likely not be the same other than introducing yourself. Walk in confidently, and you both will do great!

Good luck!
Thank you so much for this reply. Due to COVID, the interview this year will be online. On the itinerary, it says that we have 3 interviews: two with different faculty and one with current students. We also have an essay like you mentioned; was your essay prompt hard? Each interview is about 45 minutes long according to the schedule. Your advise was extremely helpful. Thank you so much!

Hi there!
I Interviewed a couple weeks ago and got accepted (woo!). The interviews were not too bad. You are in a group of 2 or 3 other candidates and you stick with the same group throughout the day. The worst part about the group interview was they ask all of you to answer the same questions (so you can't help but compare yourself to the others). One interview is with 2 faculty, one interview is with 2 current students and then the afternoon interview is with 2 faculty but its an activity/situational stuff (a lot more fun and chill). Very typical questions in the morning interviews (I recommend just googling top DPT school interview questions and thinking about all your past experiences that you can pull from to use as examples throughout the interview). I think the hardest part was the fact that is was group interview so it was hard if someone has the same/similar answer as you. Everyone from Midwestern was super nice and welcoming. Good luck, I hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you so much for this reply. Due to COVID, the interview this year will be online. On the itinerary, it says that we have 3 interviews: two with different faculty and one with current students. We also have an essay like you mentioned; was your essay prompt hard? Each interview is about 45 minutes long according to the schedule. Your advise was extremely helpful. Thank you so much!

I didn't find the essay question to be hard at all. The one I chose focused on pertaining to the physical therapy profession, and the other asked something along the lines of an experience you have had in the past.

Hi there!
I Interviewed a couple weeks ago and got accepted (woo!). The interviews were not too bad. You are in a group of 2 or 3 other candidates and you stick with the same group throughout the day. The worst part about the group interview was they ask all of you to answer the same questions (so you can't help but compare yourself to the others). One interview is with 2 faculty, one interview is with 2 current students and then the afternoon interview is with 2 faculty but its an activity/situational stuff (a lot more fun and chill). Very typical questions in the morning interviews (I recommend just googling top DPT school interview questions and thinking about all your past experiences that you can pull from to use as examples throughout the interview). I think the hardest part was the fact that is was group interview so it was hard if someone has the same/similar answer as you. Everyone from Midwestern was super nice and welcoming. Good luck, I hope this helps!

Thanks for clarifying for them! I figured that it wouldn't be too stressful still, despite the numerous interviews they mentioned. With how it is in a group, that's likely why they have long interview times. I do recall that when we first walked in too, we went in a circle introducing ourselves and to get to know each other, so it probably will feel like that.

Thank you both SO much for taking the time to respond about your interview experience and advice! This gives us a better idea of how the day would go.

Hi guys! So I am scheduled to interview on October 23, however, I cannot find/have not received the itinerary you are referring to. Would you mind telling me how your got it?
Thanks in advance!

Hi guys! So I am scheduled to interview on October 23, however, I cannot find/have not received the itinerary you are referring to. Would you mind telling me how your got it?
Thanks in advance!
Hey, I received the schedule through email on Monday. I would definitely contact the school so they can email you the schedule asap because at first glance it's a bit intimidating. The email also states that you can get the schedule through your MWU portal under the "interview information". However, I dont think the zoom link is on there. Definitely contact them!

Hey, I received the schedule through email on Monday. I would definitely contact the school so they can email you the schedule asap because at first glance it's a bit intimidating. The email also states that you can get the schedule through your MWU portal under the "interview information". However, I dont think the zoom link is on there. Definitely contact them!

Thank you so much for your reply. One more question, do you already have access to the zoom link?
I just don't want to email asking for the link if no one else has received it yet.

Thank you so much for your reply. One more question, do you already have access to the zoom link?
I just don't want to email asking for the link if no one else has received it yet.
Yeah what the person said above. The email has the zoom link and password for the interviews and also we will be using google classroom for the writing sample. They also give us the link and password for that. When did you choose your interview date?

Yeah what the person said above. The email has the zoom link and password for the interviews and also we will be using google classroom for the writing sample. They also give us the link and password for that. When did you choose your interview date?
I chose Friday, October 23 so I better send them an email. Thanks for all the info. It has been extremely helpful.

Members don't see this ad :)
I chose Friday, October 23 so I better send them an email. Thanks for all the info. It has been extremely helpful.
You may have registered for Friday, October 23rd after they sent the emails. Yeah, send them an email. Hopefully they get back to you soon! If you have any other questions that I can answer just ask me!:)

Hi there!
\

How long after your interview did you get your acceptance? do you mind sharing your stats as well?

If anyone hears back from MWU AZ, can you keep us updated on this thread? Please and thank you!

Hi there!

Have you heard back from MWU yet?

Have you heard back from MWU yet?
I interviewed on the 23rd of October and have not heard anything yet. I am not too sure if anyone else heard back.

Were you able to make the interview? Have you heard back from them yet?

Yes, I made it. But no to the second question. Nothing yet! Will keep you posted.
Oh GOOD!! Might have saw you in there! lol I have not heard anything either so I will keep you updated as well!

Yes, I made it. But no to the second question. Nothing yet! Will keep you posted.

How was your overall experience? Do you mind sharing some tips or example questions they asked?

Oh GOOD!! Might have saw you in there! lol I have not heard anything either so I will keep you updated as well!

How was your overall experience? Do you mind sharing some tips or example questions they asked?

Nothing! Hopefully soon though. It will be 3 weeks on this coming Friday.
Nothing on my end either. There are more interviews on November 20th so I am guessing it has to be this week where they contact everyone from the Oct. 23rd interviews.

Good luck to everyone! Hope we all hear back with good news

Update: waitlisted for mwu AZ! Hopefully I can get off the waitlist. Good luck to everyone else

I have been waitlisted as well! Fingers crossed.

Update: waitlisted as well. FINGERS CROSSED EVERYONE GETS GOOD NEWS FROM THEM IN THE FUTURE!

Did they call or email to inform you? i had my interview November and I still haven't heard anything is that a bad thing)

Did they call or email to inform you? i had my interview November and I still haven't heard anything is that a bad thing)

I received an email 3 weeks after the interview about the waitlist. I heard if you get accepted, they email and call!