Midwestern University DPT 2020-2021 Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DPT_3112

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I was wondering if anyone has gotten accepted or interviewed with Midwestern University for either Arizona or Illinois! I just got an interview with Illinois campus. I wanted to know your input on the school and chances of getting in? I understand that it is a rolling admissions school.

Stats:
cGPA - 3.53
pGPA - 3.5-3.67 (depending on the school)
Hours: 150+
GRE - 141V/147Q/4.5A
Extra curricular activities: published research articles, participated in 5 research competitions and won one of them, peer research consultant, vice president of a club, lab technician for 1.5 years in various labs, awarded as the most well-rounded student in my major/department, member of two clubs (pre-pt, exercise is medicine), community service through school and church organizations,

Members don't see this ad.

Had my interview on October 20th! It's a blind interview and I think I did just okay. Started and ended strong but messed up a little in the middle lol. Haven't heard back yet. Good luck!

cGPA: 3.84
pGPA: 3.69
hours: about 95
GRE: 153Q, 157V, 4.5 AW

Had my interview on October 20th! It's a blind interview and I think I did just okay. Started and ended strong but messed up a little in the middle lol. Haven't heard back yet. Good luck!

Was your interview at the IL or AZ campus?

Members don't see this ad :)

When did you submit your app? I submitted in July and haven’t heard anything.

I submitted my application back in July, when did you here back about an interview?

I submitted at the end of September and got an interview email this past Monday! If anyone can give me an idea of what kind of questions to prepare for, that would be awesome!

I submitted my application back in July, when did you here back about an interview?

I submitted my application beginning of October. I received an email for an interview two days ago. My interview is this Wednesday.

Could you expand on what you meant by "blind interview"? What were some questions that they asked you? Any tips or advice?

Could you expand on what you meant by "blind interview"? What were some questions that they asked you? Any tips or advice?

A blind interview means that the interviewers do not have your application on file when you actually interview with them. It helps eliminate any sort of bias an interviewer may have with an applicant prior to an interview, so they will not know your grades, activities, etc.

A blind interview means that the interviewers do not have your application on file when you actually interview with them. It helps eliminate any sort of bias an interviewer may have with an applicant prior to an interview, so they will not know your grades, activities, etc.

What kind of questions did they ask you if you do not mind?

I posted a similar response about what the interview process was like last year in another thread, so I will copy and paste it here as well.

I interviewed with Midwestern University in Downer's Grove (IL) last year at the time, and I will assume that it will be the same in Arizona for you because it is the same school.

Due to COVID-19, I don't know what has changed but will give you my take on what to expect. A schedule of the interview day was provided to us in a folder along with other information about the program as you first walk in. They briefly spend the interview day in the beginning talking about the program, financial aid, etc. to start it off like many schools and their interviews. Just like the other person that mentioned this above, there was an essay that they have you complete first before your interview, which is handwritten and gave 15-30 minutes for us to complete (can't remember the exact time). The essay had two prompts, and you only need to choose one to talk about depending on whichever you are most comfortable with.

After that, they split your group up into two halves (there were around 10-15 students for our interview day in total). One half does the interview first, and the other gets a tour of the school by current physical therapy students that attend, along with answering any specific questions you have. They walk you through buildings and show you some rooms to give you an idea of what their lifestyle is like there, along with equipment and what classrooms look like. After that, the group that interviewed first goes on the tour. The one on the tour first then does their interview. I can tell you from experience that Midwestern University was also one of my first interviews and did not know what to expect. This made it a bit stressful, but I promise you that it is not bad at all.

I work as an aide with three other physical therapists who graduated from Midwestern University, and they all told me about their experience and was the exact same as what they described for the interview day. They described it more of as a conversation and barely felt like an interview, which made it less tense. The interview itself was maybe 10-15 minutes long depending on how much you want to talk about with their questions. You can expect them to ask you to introduce and talk about yourself as the very first thing, like many other schools. This is your chance to talk about what makes you unique as a person and for them to determine if you would be a good fit for their school. Try not to make your whole life story and introduction revolve around physical therapy, they already know this from your personal statement and will ask you questions about this later on anyways. Use this chance to talk about things like leadership, hobbies you have, life experiences, etc. for them to get to know you as a person and what you're like. Additional questions they asked me focused on what kind of experiences I have with physical therapy, such as shadowing. They also asked me about what qualities I consider to be important for a physical therapist. Overall, it flowed very well like a normal conversation and was not stressful. The interviewers were very friendly and done by faculty. Try to convince them like I said though, on why you are a good fit for their school. Each school is different on what they look for in an applicant, so do some research about the school to aid with this. Make sure that you sound natural and that you're not just memorizing answers to interview questions, be a human. They don't want robots as physical therapists!

As always, don't just focus on the questions they asked me because they will likely not be the same other than introducing yourself. Walk in confidently, and you both will do great!

Good luck!

You will also find the response of someone in that thread who described what it is like this year as well, depending on if Illinois is also doing it virtually or not.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I’ve been accepted, but will be declining the offer so they’ll be sending out more acceptances as people make their decision!

Has anyone heard anything recently from either Midwestern?

I was recently accepted to Midwestern University - Downers Grove

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats!! Can you let me know what the interview was like?
I was also recently accepted to MWU Downers Grove. Interviewed on 11/19, waitlisted on 11/23, accepted on 12/17.

For the online interview, you are given 2 question prompts in which you have 20 min to respond to one of them in writing. You then send your writing sample (emailed) to your interviewers. The interviews are blind as your writing sample is the only thing they know about you before the interview. Super nice faculty & relaxed atmosphere for an interview. Pretty basic questions (why PT, why Midwestern, how have you shown X value, etc.). Its a 2 on 1 interview as I had 2 faculty members interviewing me. 30 minute interview, my interview portion was around 20 min with some extra time left over for questions.

Reactions: 1 user
I was also recently accepted to MWU Downers Grove. Interviewed on 11/19, waitlisted on 11/23, accepted on 12/17.

For the online interview, you are given 2 question prompts in which you have 20 min to respond to one of them in writing. You then send your writing sample (emailed) to your interviewers. The interviews are blind as your writing sample is the only thing they know about you before the interview. Super nice faculty & relaxed atmosphere for an interview. Pretty basic questions (why PT, why Midwestern, how have you shown X value, etc.). Its a 2 on 1 interview as I had 2 faculty members interviewing me. 30 minute interview, my interview portion was around 20 min with some extra time left over for questions.
Thanks for all the info!

Congrats!! Can you let me know what the interview was like?
Appreciate the congrats, @arc43 ! What @WagDPT said is pretty much what the interview was like. I started off with explaining my major, minor, and involvement during my undergrad, what I have done since then, and why I want to be a PT. Most questions that I was asked were mainly about my job experience as an inpatient rehab aide and how it correlates with PT. Midwestern is big on service, so they asked me if I do community service or any other acts of service. Others were, "Did you apply for PT schools before and if so, what did you do to improve?", and "How did you hear of Midwestern and why did you apply?". The 2 faculty members were really nice and made the interview very welcoming.

If you are a bit nervous, I would recommend having a glass of water near by. Not only does it help calm your nerves, but it can also be used as a great tool by "stalling" in order to think of an answer if you may be stump on a question. Although I wouldn't recommend doing it often as it would appear that you're purposely pausing. Another tip is "blaming the connection" in the case if I needed them to repeat a question. I forgot what the question was, but I needed some time to think and asked the faculty member if they would repeat the question as I said "I couldn't quite understand you as you were breaking up". Definitely helped me gather my thoughts.

Let me know if you have any other questions, @arc43! I'd be happy to help!

Appreciate the congrats, @arc43 ! What @WagDPT said is pretty much what the interview was like. I started off with explaining my major, minor, and involvement during my undergrad, what I have done since then, and why I want to be a PT. Most questions that I was asked were mainly about my job experience as an inpatient rehab aide and how it correlates with PT. Midwestern is big on service, so they asked me if I do community service or any other acts of service. Others were, "Did you apply for PT schools before and if so, what did you do to improve?", and "How did you hear of Midwestern and why did you apply?". The 2 faculty members were really nice and made the interview very welcoming.

If you are a bit nervous, I would recommend having a glass of water near by. Not only does it help calm your nerves, but it can also be used as a great tool by "stalling" in order to think of an answer if you may be stump on a question. Although I wouldn't recommend doing it often as it would appear that you're purposely pausing. Another tip is "blaming the connection" in the case if I needed them to repeat a question. I forgot what the question was, but I needed some time to think and asked the faculty member if they would repeat the question as I said "I couldn't quite understand you as you were breaking up". Definitely helped me gather my thoughts.

Blame the connection is actually genius haha. I used that when Governors State asked me about their mission statement and I had to look it up because I had forgotten!

Thanks so much for the advice!

Blame the connection is actually genius haha. I used that when Governors State asked me about their mission statement and I had to look it up because I had forgotten!
Haha that's awesome. Yeah the virtual interviews are lowkey great.

Does anyone know the chances of getting off Midwestern IL waitlist?

It is possible! I got waitlisted for Midwestern IL and ended up getting off the waitlist a month and a half later. However, I denied my offer. So, there's an open seat available for someone out there.

Reactions: 1 users
I interviewed October 30th and am still on the waitlist. They didn't give me any priority # like other schools have done so idk how many people are on it.

It is possible to get off Midwestern IL's waitlist. I was waitlisted for a month and a half. Then I received an email of an acceptance to their program. I declined the offer because I got into my number one choice.

I just got accepted off the waitlist this morning for the Arizona campus. It is possible guys, fingers crossed for you.

I interviewed on 2/2 and got an acceptance call and email 2/18 for the AZ campus. 1/18 and 2/22 for the IL campus.

Who all in here is planning on attending Midwestern in IL?!