Midwestern University - Glendale, AZ - Acceptances (2011 Optometry)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

a200holdup

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, this thread is for those students accepted into the Optometry program at Midwestern University in Glandale, Arizona (September 2011 entry). Feel free to reply and do mention your stats if you dont mind.

Date of interview:
OAT TS:
OAT AA:
GPA :

Extracurriculars/Shadowing:

thanks guys, and girls, looking forward to meeting you all if I gain admission also... :D

Members don't see this ad.

i'm hoping to be a member of this group. I'm finishing my optomcas right now and taking my oat in about a week!

Members don't see this ad :)
How is it at Midwestern? Has anyone interviewed there? Can I apply now for next year or is it too late?

I'm real interested in hearing from a student who attends there.. I got accepted but chose SCO.. but I was impressed w/ their tour though.. They have a lot of the state of the art equipment.

I'm real interested in hearing from a student who attends there.. I got accepted but chose SCO.. but I was impressed w/ their tour though.. They have a lot of the state of the art equipment.

I am a student at Midwestern right now. I also got accepted to SCO last year but chose MWU. What kind of questions did you have?

I am a student at Midwestern right now. I also got accepted to SCO last year but chose MWU. What kind of questions did you have?

Did the Dean really just haul-up and quit? Or is there not nearly as much drama there as some would like to let on?

Did the Dean really just haul-up and quit? Or is there not nearly as much drama there as some would like to let on?

I wish I still had the email that was sent out regarding him leaving. I seem to have deleted it. I do remember something about how he was wanting to spend more time with his family and had another endeavor that would allow more family time.

When I started last year, there wasn't any drama that was visible. There was already another dean in place. That dean is still in place and there isn't any hint of drama. I can say that between March and August of last year there were a few things that went on. The dean leaving and a couple of Optometry doctors/teachers that left, which caused rumors and questions. By the time my class started, everything had settled down though.

I am also a first year student at MWU and am really enjoying it. There are a few things that have come up that probably wouldn't at an established school: but they really aren't big deals. The current dean is effective, and many of the faculty are established in optometric education, advocacy, and leadership. As well, every program that Midwestern has supported has been very successful both in obtaining accreditation and having good boards pass-rates. I am very happy to be going to MWU, and I think a lot of the naysayers would probably say the same if they were to visit and meet with the students/faculty.

I would be happy to answer any more questions people have.

Dr. Santiago left?

I heard the Dean is back at the school in Puerto Rico. Who is the Dean at Midwestern now? Does he know what he is doing?

Yes, Dr. Santiago left to take care of family matters. Not to go back to the Puerto Rico school. The current dean is very capable and definitely knows what he is doing. From the student's perspectives, especially the first years, it really hasn't been a big deal.

What were your reasons for choosing MWU over SCO? Just wondering

There was a younger Hispanic guy there when I interviewed.. is he the dean now?

And how are the classes? What clinic skills do you learn your 1st year?

I will say, most of these things you are wondering you could go to the school's website and find out yourself. The dean is Dr. Jarnigan, who has been an optometrist in the state for 40 years. As for the clinical information we have learned, it is right on track with other schools. We have learned all the entrance tests (NPC, amps, cover test, etc), manifest refraction, vergences, and all the rest in between. I believe the clinical staff tried to model our first-year clinical class after ICO's. Next quarter we will begin slit-lamp.
I feel like I am going out on a limb with this information, because, like the current political climate, there is a lot of vitriol on this site again my school. So far this thread has been positive, which is why I am still writing and answering. It is a very good school with a lot of depth, and am proud to go here. I worked in the petrochemical industry for a couple years with an engineering degree, and went back to optometry school. I was recruited at all the other schools I applied to, but chose to come to MWU both because I am from AZ, and also because I could tell it was a great program with good backing. My goal in writing here is to try and change attitudes, but I must admit that if I feel that it starts to turn negative or petty than I will probably take a hike....
Thanks for reading and asking questions.

What were your reasons for choosing MWU over SCO? Just wondering

You know, I really enjoyed both schools. I liked the layout of MWU better. SCO seemed to have most everything focused in one building. I liked that MWU has a small campus where you have classes in different buildings. I don't know about you, but if I'm going to be in class 6+ hours a day I would like a chance to go outside some. I also liked the layout of the pre-clinic a lot better at MWU; I thought the pre-clinic at SCO felt bit small.

While I liked a lot of things about both school equally, I'd have to say that I liked Glendale a lot better than Memphis. I really liked the town from the moment that I arrived for my interview. I didn't really care for Memphis that much. I'm not saying that it is a bad city or anything, it was more of a personal feeling.

There was a younger Hispanic guy there when I interviewed.. is he the dean now?

And how are the classes? What clinic skills do you learn your 1st year?

I think I know the person to whom you are referring, and no he is not the dean. If it's the person that I'm thinking of, he left before my class started.

The classes are good. I especially enjoy the Optometry based classes. We have something called Basic Sciences that takes up a massive chunk of our first year. It varies in hours each quarter, but averages about 17 hours a quarter of basic science. It is combined with the Dental first years. It's this class that generally takes up most of my study time. It's pretty intensive.

And the other poster is right on with the clinic skills that we learned our first year so far. What I have enjoyed is that they gave us an opportunity to volunteer and practice our clinic skills at a health fair within the first month of starting school.

thats pretty cool..

I liked Midwestern when I interviewed, and probably would have went if I were from the west coast, but Memphis is a lot closer, and I liked SCO for other reasons as well..

I could immediately tell though that Midwestern would be state of the art.. I loved Glendale as well.. Glad you guys are enjoying it!!

Yes, Dr. Santiago left to take care of family matters. Not to go back to the Puerto Rico school. The current dean is very capable and definitely knows what he is doing. From the student's perspectives, especially the first years, it really hasn't been a big deal.

Just to add to this discussion a bit, the current dean used to be the President over the entire AOA. His name is Dr Jarnagin. He is a highly regarded member of this profession and is second to none in my opinion. I am a second year student at midwestern and I have been here since the program started. When I interviewed here they didnt even have the Optometry buildings built completely. I can attest to the fact that the situations that went on here after our first year are simply a normal part of the growing phase of a new program. There was no drama. As I understand it, Santiago left due to an illness his wife was having and he wanted to spend more time with her. The younger hispanic Dr (Juarez) also left after the first year but is still in contact with some of us. He now owns his own practice in Glendale which is doing very well.
The facilities and equipment here blow any other optometry school out of the water. I have spoken with Drs from ICO and several other schools and private practice ODs from other states who visited here who agree. In fact, one of our faculty members here took a very large pay cut and left ICO to come here just for the facilities and our MWU Eye Institute. Its that impressive.

it would help if some people actually acknowledged the original posters format of
Date of interview:
OAT TS:
OAT AA:
GPA :

i'm sure a lot of us are curious to know where we stand

it would help if some people actually acknowledged the original posters format of
Date of interview:
OAT TS:
OAT AA:
GPA :

i'm sure a lot of us are curious to know where we stand

Hey, there was a lot of important things said here from students who actually go to the college. I would take the information and run. I spoke with the Dean today about the new incoming class, and he said they are aggressively pursuing applicants.

Date of Interview: 4/18/2011

OAT TS: 300
OAT AA: 300

GPA: 3.5

Extracurriculars: pre-optometry club, honors society

Shadowing: shadowed 3 optometrists and 1 ophthalmologist

Accepted: 4/20/2011