Midwestern vs. Des Moines (DO programs)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlueBee20

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! PLEASE HELP!

I never thought I'd be in the situation where I had the opportunity to CHOOSE between two great schools that I love, but here I am! I have made a list of pros and cons. However, I would love your help and advice when it comes to choosing between these schools!

Midwestern

Pros -
- I'm originally from the suburbs of Chicago, so I could commute to school and save lots of $$$
- close to family + friends
- great reputation
- already know people going there and some future classmates
- would possibly like to end up living and practicing in the Chicago suburbs
- good rotation locations
- great match list (1 match in ophtho - specialty of interest)
- train ride away from Chicago entertainment, nightlife, etc.

Cons -
- COST OF TUITION!!!!!!!!! $71,376 for next year
- people just didn't seem as happy lol

Des Moines

Pros -
- cool city, new experience for me
- possibly develop more independence because i would have to live on my own
- great reputation
- great match list
- faculty seemed REALLY willing to help
- already know one person there who LOVES it
- students seemed super hype about the school
- tuition is SIGNIFICANTLY CHEAPER $49,862

Cons -
- far from family and friends
- wouldn't be able to live at home, so $$$
- possibly not as good rotations (?)

From your knowledge of the two schools, which will help me achieve my goals the best? Thank you so much for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Even with the money you will save by living at home and commuting, Des Moines is still significantly cheaper. It sounds to me like overall you like the atmosphere of Des Moines more, which could significantly influence your performance for the better.

Will the environment living near Chicago be conducive to your studying? Some people fair better then others moving away from home, and some people find living at home distracting.

I cannot speak to reputation differences between these schools, so hopefully someone else has more insight there. If I were making this choice based on what you stated above, I'd go Des Moines for the cheaper tuition and seemingly better fit.

Congratulations and good luck!

Even with the money you will save by living at home and commuting, Des Moines is still significantly cheaper. It sounds to me like overall you like the atmosphere of Des Moines more, which could significantly influence your performance for the better.

Will the environment living near Chicago be conducive to your studying? Some people fair better then others moving away from home, and some people find living at home distracting.

I cannot speak to reputation differences between these schools, so hopefully someone else has more insight there. If I were making this choice based on what you stated above, I'd go Des Moines for the cheaper tuition and seemingly better fit.

Congratulations and good luck!

Thank you so much! I guess the biggest thing I need to decide is if living at home will be a huge help or a huge burden.

Does any one have advice as far as the reputation of the schools, and success after these programs? Thank you!

I interviewed at both.

If you want to ultimately practice in Chicago, CCOM is a great bet. Tuition is really expensive but you get to rotate at hospitals like Swedish and Advocate. Everyone in Chicago knows and appreciates CCOM students.

Also, I also really liked the vibe at DMU. Students did seem a lot happier! That being said, I was a little worried when they said you can schduele your own rotations fourth year- I would rather have an equal footing where everyone gets rotations at select hospitals. But if you have connections and don't mind then DMU is a great fit and very very cheap!

Members don't see this ad :)
- COST OF TUITION!!!!!!!!! $71,376 for next year
- tuition is SIGNIFICANTLY CHEAPER $49,862
- I'm originally from the suburbs of Chicago, so I could commute to school and save lots of $$$
Even with the money you will save by living at home and commuting, Des Moines is still significantly cheaper.

The difference isn't as large as you think. Living at home will save you significant money and cut the cost on items such as food. Don't underestimate how much living expenses will cost if you choose DMU. Rent, food, electric, gas, wifi, garbage, plane tickets/trips back home will put you with an extra ~$10,000+ in expenses.

I guess the biggest thing I need to decide is if living at home will be a huge help or a huge burden.

Having a home cooked meal, someone to help with laundry, etc goes a long way. If you can't study at home there are plenty of places to study on campus.

- people just didn't seem as happy lol

Depending when you interviewed, who you interacted with, and what exams were coming up isn't a good representation of CCOM level of happiness. FYI all the 3rd years seem pretty happy.

I was a little worried when they said you can schduele your own rotations fourth year- I would rather have an equal footing where everyone gets rotations at select hospitals.

Hell no! You want as many audition rotations as possible. CCOM has four required 4th year rotations, and the rest are for the student to schedule.