Midwestern vs Minnesota

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dvm2023hopeful

UMN c/o 2023!
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm a Minnesota student. One of my best friends graduated from Midwestern.

I don't know a lot about their program, but I can say that one of the advantages of Minnesota is our caseload - we have one of the highest caseloads in the US, with about 45k cases a year in the small animal hospital alone. The large animal hospital gets fewer cases than the small animal one, but we have a pretty heavy equine caseload.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you for your insight!

Would you mind telling me how much hands on experience we get in our first and second year. One thing that drew me to midwestern was that during the interview, the student ambassadors emphasized that midwestern had a lot of hands on experience early on. Does Minnesota also have a lot of hands on learning as well?

We do - and actually, they're working on implementing more case-based learning in the curriculum as well. You start hands-on labs in clinical skills the first week of first year, and throughout the year, you have labs with small animals and our teaching herds of horses and cows. We also have some really cool wetlab opportunities through clubs. I got my first surgical experiences very early on through a combination of clubs and externships!

I’m a current first year midwestern student! We started clinical experiences and hands on from day 1. We’ve completed at least 30 physical exams by now in a variety of species (dogs, cats, horses) and this spring quarter we start on bovine and porcine. I also have performed 3 cat neuters within the first 4 months of vet school.
This upcoming spring quarter we start with pain management and anesthesiology as a course, since second year we start spays. There are also several opportunities to get involved via clubs and perform even more wet labs, depending on your interests.

Status
Not open for further replies.