Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Midwestern

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Dentgirl09, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Dentgirl09

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Hi! If anyone cancels their MW interview prior to Feb 11th can you PM me? I'm looking for a sooner date due to conflicts but chose the soonest just incase.

Also, I tried searching old threads about the first class of midwestern university and their thoughts but couldn't find one.... if anyone could help me out if you know where that thread is or do their own reflecting? Thanks!

Alos, is that 210,000 estimate for tuition on prednets accurate? is that after all fees and such? Seems to be the living expenses in that area aren't too bad..... just worried about tuition. Anyone have a clue? :)

Thanks everyone!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Dentgirl09

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    anyone? feel free to post an old thread if you can find it too.... just looking for some info... their website seems bare

4. blissy07

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    cancelled mine a few days ago (it was for feb 6th)...but im not sure if its still available. good luck!

5. Dentgirl09

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental

Anyone know where Midwestern's curriculum can be found? Wondering if they have summers or not.. etc...

Is a price tag difference worth going to a school that has summers? just curious waht you guys think

6. shoombol tallah

shoombol tallah Big Boy
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    well since no current midwestern students have responded I'll try my best to help. I was accepted Dec. 1st and I'm seriously considering going there. Since the school is brand new there will be a lot of things that you just wont have like more established schools do. These include upperclassmen, alumni, and pretty much an idea of what kind of students the school graduates. However, I think the school has a couple of outstanding aspects that make it very attractive. The faculty there is top notch and that starts with Dean Simonsen. The guy is all about dentistry and I have no doubt in my mind he will do what it takes to make that school one of the premiere dental programs in the country. Also Dr. Gilpatrick gave up his position as the Dean of Tennessee school of dentistry to come over to midwestern to take a lower position as associate dean. That tells you how strongly people believe in the school and the caliber of faculty thats involved. Another selling point is the technology that is being used to instruct the students. Many of the software and technology that is being used at the school is under beta testing and not available in any other school in the country. This school actually takes that high tuition and puts it back into the school unlike some other schools. I hope that helps, personally I think its a great school with a lot of upside but it may be a few years away from reaching its potential.

7. PreDent08

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    i interviewed there...u'll be wowed by their sim lab. all brand spanking new. i think the avg. cost is about 80k per year including everything like rent, food, etc. and there's summer school too.

8. DentalStar007

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I'm currently a student at MWU. Exactly what is it that you want to know about the curriculum? The only summer we have technically is after our 1st year. However, since we have to take our Boards Part 1 after 1st year, we basically have to study for our boards our 1st summer. Our Dean said he wants us all to take it before August, before we start our 2nd year. But at least we'll have the whole month of August for break. We don't have summers after that.We do have one of the highest tuitions amongst the dental schools (but definately not the highest). Also living here is pretty cheap. However, you do get a top notch quality education here with the best of technology, so you do get what you pay for. I think one of the best attributes of our school besides the newest in technology is our faculty. They make sure everyone is on track, and there is no sense of trying to weed any of us out, or trying to give us a hard difficult time. And for all you incoming Class of 2013, the advantage that you guys have is us as upperclassman. And I'm pretty sure our class is excited to meet all you guys.

9. Dentgirl09

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    do you think the area is the tyep of area where getting patients wouldn't be a prob?

Just asking because if I (knock on wood) hear good news from temple before going to the interview... I'm wondering if I should withdraw the interview.

Does anyone know what tuition is without living expenses adn such? Just tuition and school fees alone? I believe it says 57,000 on the website. With cost alone, there seems to be no reason to go to the interview (Not trying to count my chickens...) unless there is something great about the school.

I guess I'll just wait it out and se.... but trying to do research in the process... either way knowing more about the school will either help in the interview if I don't hear any news or help me decide if I should go either way.

Thanks guys!!! I'm just confused by the lack of info on the school (which I suppose is unavoidable given that its new). :)

10. DentalStar007

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Patient pool, we have a good mix of low income, and senior citizen population, so we are told we wont have any problems in getting patients.

Cost I would say is around there.

11. haisha ni narou

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Greetings MWU Hopefulls and fellow classmate D-Star! I thought I'd chime in, I've been quiet in these parts for a while. Just like someone mentioned earlier, because we are a new school, we do not have some things that the older schools have (alumni, traditions etc) but conversely we have things that none of the older schools have such as working very closely with faculty to fine tune the cirriculum that we agree is best, be the first few classes to use the brand new facilities, pave the way and set the standard for what MWU will be known for.

We take boards after 1st year and our basic science classes are taught by some of the greatest science faculty there are. The same faculty that have built the DO program into the strong program it is today with excellent board scores (1st year DO class passed 100% first try back in the 90's). The university is very established so the argument about a new school with lots of adjustments really only relates to the dental courses which are not too heavy first year anyways and also the faculty have all been leaders at other dental schools so it's not like they are all trying to figure out what they are doing, they are already dental education pros. Like has been mentioned already, our dental faculty is top notch. I know all of the schools are great but I really have a hard time believing that there is a stronger faculty lineup anywhere else, starting with our dean (as previously mentioned). His vision for the school is awesome. The best part is the way the faculty treats us. We are all good friends, students and faculty. We treat eachother with respect and the faculty accepts us as collegues and goes well beyond the "extra mile" on our behalf every day to give us their 100%. The first class has 111 students and we all get along great and have a good time.

I'd like to think the honeymoon stage of being a dental student is over but I swear every day I feel so lucky to be going to MWU.

If you have any other questions, PM me. I'll try by best to get back to you quickly.

12. DentalStar007

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    The honeymoon stage of being a dental student? haha, I like the wording. I wouldn't say its over, its just beginning. I think as the days go by, the more closer I am with our classmates, and our faculty, so I think everyday gets better and better.

13. haisha ni narou

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    PS, we have an awesome class historian at our school. :eyebrow: