midwestern's ma program...um, what?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dental diva

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

i randomly applied to MWU's 9 month MA program for the heck of it and got an email just today saying i was accepted. no interview, no phone call, nothing...and it says i need to make a 750 dollar deposit by february 25th?!? That's in 3 weeks!!

I have noo idea what to do, unofficial postbacc for my grades, or a masters? or wait and see if i get any interviews? i know it's a slim chance by now but still? i hear MWU's 9 month masters is REALLY tough, not that i'm trying to take the easy way out but i want whatever route will give me the best chance of getting in.

anyone know anything?

stats: 20 AA 20 TS 21 PAT 3.3 cgpa 3.0 sgpa

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

i randomly applied to MWU's 9 month MA program for the heck of it and got an email just today saying i was accepted. no interview, no phone call, nothing...and it says i need to make a 750 dollar deposit by february 25th?!? That's in 3 weeks!!

I have noo idea what to do, unofficial postbacc for my grades, or a masters? or wait and see if i get any interviews? i know it's a slim chance by now but still? i hear MWU's 9 month masters is REALLY tough, not that i'm trying to take the easy way out but i want whatever route will give me the best chance of getting in.

anyone know anything?

stats: 20 AA 20 TS 21 PAT 3.3 cgpa 3.0 sgpa

The no interview thing is strange. It will definitely help your chances for the two MWU campuses, and it is tough program. That said, it will really help prepare you for first year Basic Sciences..

Members don't see this ad :)
so no one thinks i can get away with working as a dental assistant for a year or doing an informal postbacc? i know my gpa is low but i gotta think financially, mwu is so pricey :eek:

so no one thinks i can get away with working as a dental assistant for a year or doing an informal postbacc? i know my gpa is low but i gotta think financially, mwu is so pricey :eek:

You could do an informal post-bac for a year, however it just won't pull up your GPA a ton. Assuming you have 120 credits, even if you pulled a 4.0 for an extra 30 credits (all upper div sciences), it will only pull your GPA to 3.44 overall and 3.3ish science (depending on how many sci credits you have).

That may or may not be enough to get you in next year. However, if you do the MA program, it will not only pull up your GPA, but you will have a 4.0 as a Masters GPA and it will show you can handle graduate level coursework, plus you get the extra piece of paper to show for your hard work.

I honestly don't think that the MA program could be much more difficult than taking 15 credits of upper div sciences and working. Also, what is the cost difference?

i actually talked to some friends who go to the school, apparently it's easier than dental school itself since you don't have to worry about clinicals, and it puts you in great shape for being a D1. also, you're guaranteed an interview if you have above a 3.0 after your first quarter, as long as your DAT meets their requirements.

my only question now is, does my masters GPA go into AADSAS? i heard for med schools, their GPA's get screened in a computer system of each school and if their undergrad GPA's don't meet their standards, they automatically don't get reviewed, and the master's GPA goes unnoticed. anyone know anything about it?

Not easier than first year, at least the MWU MA program, I am in first year of Dental School at MWU and did their Masters, I actually felt the Masters was a little harder, I'm also not alone in that, my classmates that did the masters also say the same thing as well as some D2s that did the Masters. That said, like I stated before it does put you in a great position for first year wherever you go and also gives you great chances to get into MWU assuming you do well....