Midwestern's Masters program- Illinois

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kutinpaste

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

just wanted to offer some information about this program if anybody was curious about. So feel free to shoot me any questions about it. I am referring to the 2yr Masters of Biomedical science program at Midwestern University in Downers Grove, Il. I am currently a 1st year biomed student but will be a 1st year med student in the DO program here this fall. So dont hesitate to ask me about the program. :D

Members don't see this ad.

Hey I recently transferred my application to this program because I was rejected from the D.O. program. I just want to kno how is this program and does it help you get into their osteopathic school??

how do you like the program??? I transferred my application after I got rejected from the DO school

Members don't see this ad :)
I really like the program. I was the same way last year. transferred my app after rejection. I think its the best option if you do not get in anywhere this year. also if you really want to get into CCOM. I will be starting at CCOM this summer and feel really prepared for it mainly because of this program. I know that it is a two year program, but they dont hate against people applying for med school during the first year of the program. let me know if you have any more questions.

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

thanks for answering my question! I really do appreicate it! I have alot of questions about this program!!! Can you describe your first year for me also how were able to prepare to re apply to med school and be in this program. I like how you applied to the school again with being only one year into the master's program. I am assuming that you did not complete the masters program. How is it the first year of the program? Is it an interview process to get accepted? I really didn't know anything about this program the only reason why I applied because I was rejected from their med school and after feeling devastated I was like I might as well transfer my application. (Is this their postbac program?)

I guess you can call it their postbacc program. I started the first year of this program having no clue what to expect. I was out of school for three years from that point. I really liked the first year. you get to take a few classes with med, pharm, PA, PT, and OT students. You actually take classes that you would take as a first year med student with some minor differences. I applied with only two quarters worth of grades from the program. Another student from the program applied and got in with only one quarters worth of grades. We both are continuing the biomed program as DO/MBS dual degree but this is not manditory. I would say it helped with my reapplication because it showed how i would perform in med school level classes. My MCAT was good but GPA needed some boosting and this program definitely did that. Hope that helps.

so I got my acceptance a week ago! I am a lil apprehensive about this program though. I want to do the same thing you did but I am wondering do you think that they will make me retake my MCAT my grades are really high but my MCAT is low. I really only applied to this program for the same reason you did.

It depends how low your MCAT is and how good ur gpa is. I would say that, if you have a GPA of 3.6 or higher for science and overall, you should really consider just taking the MCAT again. But that is if you MCAT is, lets say, <24. If ur MCAT is 24 or above, i think you do not really have to worry about retaking the MCAT. So to sum up, I would really reconsider doing this program if ur MCAT score is your only problem. Just focusing on beefing up ur score would be key. But if it is in that mid-20's range with a decent GPA, i would really suggest the program and recommend reapplying early to the DO program. It helps when you are "in-house" taking classes with first year med students.

oh ok thanks for all the help! I just got accepted to Touro COM-NY masters program and that was my first choice so I am off to harlem!!!!

and a supply of fruits snacks doesn't hurt either, right s??? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

and no, you will never live that one down ;)

I received my acceptance last week. I am waiting to hear back from other schools and I've got a couple of questions before I accept admission.

1) How is this program for someone pursing MD? How many students get into MD schools?

2) How many of you apply to medical schools the same year? Is the school/faculty helpful with this, sending grade updates, recommendation lettes, etc?

3) I undersand that if you get in the same year, you can drop from the program. But if you don't get in, can you still do one year and not finish the program (to save one year's tuition), and is this recommended or not?

4) What is the timeline for applying to medical school the same year?

Members don't see this ad :)
I received my acceptance last week. I am waiting to hear back from other schools and I've got a couple of questions before I accept admission.

1) How is this program for someone pursing MD? How many students get into MD schools?

2) How many of you apply to medical schools the same year? Is the school/faculty helpful with this, sending grade updates, recommendation lettes, etc?

3) I undersand that if you get in the same year, you can drop from the program. But if you don't get in, can you still do one year and not finish the program (to save one year's tuition), and is this recommended or not?

4) What is the timeline for applying to medical school the same year?

1 - the stats we see for the previous class indicated that a fair number also went allopathic route. everyone who chose to go onto med school did somewhere i think.

2 - we had 10 students apply from our class of 29...5 got in, 5 are waitlisted. the program director is really cool about lors etc. as far as updates...if you apply there they know.

3 - there is one guy in our class who got in and was unsure if he wanted to do dual degree or not. he finished out the first yr but decided not to do dual degree. i would recommend finishing the program..even if you do not get in anywhere...especially since you are starting research and really the course load 2nd yr is lighter

4 - we had people that had applied over the summer (1st to get in). and then people who applied in nov after fall quarter grades were out. they will tell you apply early, but the truth is the first guy who got in did not do so until after his fall quarter grades are out.

if your mcat is an issue they will probably want you to retake it, but i don't know...they can tell you more.

Thank you for the info. What advice would you give to someone starting this program? I am still deciding on where I will go but leaning towards this one.

Thank you for the info. What advice would you give to someone starting this program? I am still deciding on where I will go but leaning towards this one.

get a good study plan down 1st quarter that works quickly. 2nd quarter is much harder with biochem, physio and immuno which are all study time intensive courses plus homework from the stats class. if you have a study plan that works it is easier to stick to than if you are still trying to find your groove imho.
classes are way different than what you see in undergrad as well as the tests...so be prepared to know everything and anything that is said in lectures and/or in your note packets.
the professors really do want to help you...i have never had one make me feel like i am asking a silly question...they will always take time to explain something so take advantage of their open door policy.
parking weds. is a pita due to the fact that the med students have omm that day and everyone and their brother is on campus. arrive early (get to campus by 9:30-10) even if you do not have class at that time, to make sure you get a parking space on the side of campus by the garage/littlejohn
if i can think of anything else i will be back to add more :)

get a good study plan down 1st quarter that works quickly. 2nd quarter is much harder with biochem, physio and immuno which are all study time intensive courses plus homework from the stats class. if you have a study plan that works it is easier to stick to than if you are still trying to find your groove imho.
classes are way different than what you see in undergrad as well as the tests...so be prepared to know everything and anything that is said in lectures and/or in your note packets.
the professors really do want to help you...i have never had one make me feel like i am asking a silly question...they will always take time to explain something so take advantage of their open door policy.
parking weds. is a pita due to the fact that the med students have omm that day and everyone and their brother is on campus. arrive early (get to campus by 9:30-10) even if you do not have class at that time, to make sure you get a parking space on the side of campus by the garage/littlejohn
if i can think of anything else i will be back to add more :)
Thank you for your advice, it's much appreicated. This definitely helps to make my decision a little easier.

hopefully this means i will see you at orientation in sept?? ;)
It's very likely as of now, but I'll know for sure in a week or so:xf:.
And orientation is in sept??? I thought it'd be in Aug.

I am assuming you're in the second year of the program. What is the class schedule like the first year? What classes do you take in the first year? Are there any electives? If yes, any advice on picking the electives? Sorry if I am asking too many questions, but there is very little info on MWU's website about the curriculum.

It's very likely as of now, but I'll know for sure in a week or so:xf:.
And orientation is in sept??? I thought it'd be in Aug.

I am assuming you're in the second year of the program. What is the class schedule like the first year? What classes do you take in the first year? Are there any electives? If yes, any advice on picking the electives? Sorry if I am asking too many questions, but there is very little info on MWU's website about the curriculum.

the calendar we have for next academic year states orientation as sept 2nd and sept 3rd.
fall quarter begins sept 8th.
i am a second year now yes...and i must say that still feels strange :)
our schedule was like this:
fall:
physiology
biochemistry
research design & methodology
applied research (lab practices essentially)

winter:
biochemistry
physiology
immunology
statistics

spring:*
ethics
research class (primary project is literature review)
microbiology w/lab
research

summer:*
journal club (seminar class)
research
thesis proposal/defense

fall:*
pharmacology*
seminar
research
pharmacology of drug abuse*

the quarters i have marked with * are where you can take an elective. the ones i have marked with * are the electives i have chosen.
some people took a cardiovascular pharm class in the spring that i heard was pretty interesting. almost everyone is at least taking the first 2 quarters of the pharm series with the med students. there isthe option to take anatomy over the summer as well with the pa's but it is a LOT of work. i would only do that if you do not have anything else to do (like retake the mcat as i have to do due to expired score). there is a medical spanish course also offered that i have yet to find out from anyone how it is run. there was a pharm course in the spring that was school children and you had to do a presentation that people said was not that bad. people speak highly of the exercise physiology class offered, but then my classmates who are in it are feeling a bit lost and i have heard it is heavily equation based. there is a biochem elective offered over the summer, but is a rehash of what you see in the fall/winter. there is a new elective offered this summer run by the one faculty member we have that i have heard good things about. the fall we had the option to take another pharm elective which did not look personally interesting to me as well as a neuro course which is also supposedly fairly intense.
and i hang around...so i am more than happy to answer any questions i can :)

the calendar we have for next academic year states orientation as sept 2nd and sept 3rd.
fall quarter begins sept 8th.
i am a second year now yes...and i must say that still feels strange :)
our schedule was like this:
fall:
physiology
biochemistry
research design & methodology
applied research (lab practices essentially)

winter:
biochemistry
physiology
immunology
statistics

spring:*
ethics
research class (primary project is literature review)
microbiology w/lab
research

summer:*
journal club (seminar class)
research
thesis proposal/defense

fall:*
pharmacology*
seminar
research
pharmacology of drug abuse*

the quarters i have marked with * are where you can take an elective. the ones i have marked with * are the electives i have chosen.
some people took a cardiovascular pharm class in the spring that i heard was pretty interesting. almost everyone is at least taking the first 2 quarters of the pharm series with the med students. there isthe option to take anatomy over the summer as well with the pa's but it is a LOT of work. i would only do that if you do not have anything else to do (like retake the mcat as i have to do due to expired score). there is a medical spanish course also offered that i have yet to find out from anyone how it is run. there was a pharm course in the spring that was school children and you had to do a presentation that people said was not that bad. people speak highly of the exercise physiology class offered, but then my classmates who are in it are feeling a bit lost and i have heard it is heavily equation based. there is a biochem elective offered over the summer, but is a rehash of what you see in the fall/winter. there is a new elective offered this summer run by the one faculty member we have that i have heard good things about. the fall we had the option to take another pharm elective which did not look personally interesting to me as well as a neuro course which is also supposedly fairly intense.
and i hang around...so i am more than happy to answer any questions i can :)
You are right about the orientation date. I was looking at the wrong program in the calendar.
It looks like only the fall and winter quarters have really hardcore science classes. And in the spring quarter the hardest class seems to be the microbiology class.

You are right about the orientation date. I was looking at the wrong program in the calendar.
It looks like only the fall and winter quarters have really hardcore science classes. And in the spring quarter the hardest class seems to be the microbiology class.

your intuition is right. fall is easier though because the other two classes are not that bad.
micro is a pain...but it is being redesigned, we suffered thru first yr of it...hopefully it is better for you.

don't underestimate the lit review. it is 12-15 pages and it is very time consuming.

if you can just survive the first 2 quarters though it is fairly easier from there :)

and if you do decide to attend...i will be easy to pick out at orientation...just look for the short old lady :laugh:

and if you do decide to attend...i will be easy to pick out at orientation...just look for the short old lady :laugh:
Will do. Thanks again for sharing your experience. And good luck in your last year of the program.

2008 grad here,
just curious if they've changed up the stats course again? When I was there, the woman that taught stats was pretty horrible and either quit or was fired after we had here. I heard the '09 class had a lot of online instruction/homework that we never had.
Also have to agree that the neuro elective was very intense but very clinically orientated and fun if you're into neuro. Unless things have been rearranged, most of the neuro tests were scheduled for the exact same time as the pharm tests so we had to work around studying for two pretty intense exams at the same time.
Another point about taking anatomy. It is a lot of work, but the majority don't take it because its not worth the risk. I believe its a 5 credit course class, so anything less than an A is really going to hurt your GPA, on most want a GPA as high as possible when reapplying to med school.

2008 grad here,
just curious if they've changed up the stats course again? When I was there, the woman that taught stats was pretty horrible and either quit or was fired after we had here. I heard the '09 class had a lot of online instruction/homework that we never had.
Also have to agree that the neuro elective was very intense but very clinically orientated and fun if you're into neuro. Unless things have been rearranged, most of the neuro tests were scheduled for the exact same time as the pharm tests so we had to work around studying for two pretty intense exams at the same time.
Another point about taking anatomy. It is a lot of work, but the majority don't take it because its not worth the risk. I believe its a 5 credit course class, so anything less than an A is really going to hurt your GPA, on most want a GPA as high as possible when reapplying to med school.

yes they changed it again. we had a guest lecturer from benedictine come in and teach the course. he was great but it is really homework intense. we had 10 problems a week....not that bad at the beginning but once you got into 5 step problems it was 5-10 pages a week :eek: couple that with immuno, biochem and physio it is crazy

i am still debating whether to take or not take neuro. the anatomoy part is what worries me as i stink at that portion of it (know that from experience) so i am nervous about starting off on the wrong foot so to speak.

just heard today that incoming class size is 35 :cool:

best wishes all!! :luck:

I will be attending MWU in the Fall as well. I took a year off from graduating from Loyola University Chicago to do other things (volunteer, tutor, earn money as a pharm tech at Walgreens) and I'm definitely excited to start classes again.

We've all be automatically registered into Biochemistry, Physio, Fundamentals of Research, Research Design and Methodolgy, and Healthcare Issues, so there seems to be a slight deviation from last year's class, based on the schedule posted above.

Anyway, looking forward to meeting this year's incoming class, as well as the graduating class of 2010. Maybe I'll see some of you moving in (I'm in Redwood I), but definitely see you at the orientation on the 2nd. :D

One last question, one of the pharmacists I work with graduated from the PharmD program a few years ago and was telling me about final exams. Is it true they lock the door precisely at 7:30 and if you're not inside the room you're SOL? If so, that has to be a hectic time dealing with Chicago's crappy winter + Interstate traffic + lack of decent park spots on exam days.

I will be attending MWU in the Fall as well. I took a year off from graduating from Loyola University Chicago to do other things (volunteer, tutor, earn money as a pharm tech at Walgreens) and I'm definitely excited to start classes again.

We've all be automatically registered into Biochemistry, Physio, Fundamentals of Research, Research Design and Methodolgy, and Healthcare Issues, so there seems to be a slight deviation from last year's class, based on the schedule posted above.

Anyway, looking forward to meeting this year's incoming class, as well as the graduating class of 2010. Maybe I'll see some of you moving in (I'm in Redwood I), but definitely see you at the orientation on the 2nd. :D

One last question, one of the pharmacists I work with graduated from the PharmD program a few years ago and was telling me about final exams. Is it true they lock the door precisely at 7:30 and if you're not inside the room you're SOL? If so, that has to be a hectic time dealing with Chicago's crappy winter + Interstate traffic + lack of decent park spots on exam days.

nope..you have the same schedule...the class name is slightly different though.

most classes here operate on the philosophy that you can come late to an exam as long as no one has left yet. granted, there is always that person who finishes in 20-30 minutes so this does not give you much leeway but it does give you some. if you are living on campus you will not have to worry about traveling. otherwise, if you live a long distance as i do you may opt to stay with someone closer (a few in our class did this) or you may opt to grab a room for the night (i did for the few times there were really bad storms coming the days of exams). really the first couple quarters you do not have very many 7:30 exam times so the chances of 7;30 exam time plus major blizzard snowstorm is small...but have a plan in place in case it happens :)

i look forward to meeting you at orientation

becky :)

Hello,
On the website it states that the stats for this program are a 2.75 cumm minimum, but realistically, what would be decent GPA/MCAT scores and if we applied to the glendale program can we apply to illinois program?