MidwesternU MABS (Glendale) vs Touro MS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

murgatroyd

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey folks, I was hoping to get a little advice deciding between these two DO SMPs. Both are one year programs.

My stats:
GPA: ~3.3 cGPA, 3.15sGPA with grade replacement; 3.0x cGPA, <3.0 sGPA without grade replacement
MCAT: High 510s
Currently waitlisted at two DO schools (my only two II's; I applied late August/early September)

MWU MABS:
- Guaranteed interview if >3.0 GPA
- Tuition: 41k, but lower cost of living
- "Fifty-eight (58) of the 81 total students (72%) who graduated in the class of 2016 have been accepted into professional school, including: medical, dental, podiatry, pharmacy, physician assistant, and Ph.D. programs."

Touro MS:
- Guaranteed admission into the DO class if >3.5 GPA (but very competitive; only about 1/3 of students will matriculate via this path)
- Tuition: 21k, much higher cost of living
- Under the impression that it is more difficult because of the competition, and of course if you do poorly then your med school chances are pretty much sunk.

Personally I'm leaning a bit towards the Touro program because of the potential for automatic linkage despite the competitiveness of the program. I am worried that if I apply to DO schools this summer, schools might reject me instantly because of my even crappier GPA after the change in grade replacement policy. Of course my final grades in the SMP would not be available until Summer 2018; I'm already in my late-20s so I really want to avoid another lost year. Also worth noting, AZCOM does offer grade replacement for next cycle still, while TouroCOM presumably will not.

Members don't see this ad.