Might have to withdraw from Gen Chem 2 what impact will this have?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheUnknown123

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took my first Gen Chem 2 exam and it was absolutely brutal. I got a 48% and many of my classmates had scored around a 60% (the average hasn't been posted yet). There was a death in my family a couple days ago and I haven't really been able to focus on my studies. The professor does not allow us to drop an exam there are 4 exams and each are a 100 points. The whole class is out of 750 points. If I have dug myself into a hole would it be a good idea to withdraw from the course eventually. I have never withdrew from a class before and I have maintained a good gpa (3.76 cumulative and science).If I do end up needing to withdraw I just want to know if this would hurt my chances at all.

Members don't see this ad.

I just took my first Gen Chem 2 exam and it was absolutely brutal. I got a 48% and many of my classmates had scored around a 60% (the average hasn't been posted yet). There was a death in my family a couple days ago and I haven't really been able to focus on my studies. The professor does not allow us to drop an exam there are 4 exams and each are a 100 points. The whole class is out of 750 points. If I have dug myself into a hole would it be a good idea to withdraw from the course eventually. I have never withdrew from a class before and I have maintained a good gpa (3.76 cumulative and science).If I do end up needing to withdraw I just want to know if this would hurt my chances at all.

many people withdraw from classes, one or two will not likely have too much effect on your application

A withdrawl isn’t bad, but gen chem 2 is a pre-req so you will need to retake it.

A withdrawal is fine, especially since you can clarify it was because a death in the family in your application. But as stated, yes you will need to take it again.