MIGS fellowship outlook

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sonofva

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! Just a question as to what the job outlook is for someone who does a MIGS fellowship? What would day to day practice look like, and lifestyle? Would you still be delivering, or could you start a solely surgery practice? Any thoughts as to whether this is a worthwhile use of time? thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

so as things are moving slowly on here, I figured i'd throw out a message into the vastness of the internet...emailed a migs fellow coordinator or two, and here's what I got... short and sweet:

"our fellowship looks for applicants who want to be leaders in Migs. Many universities are looking for fellowship trained Physicians. Most people who finish fellowship limit OB .no one bows the future but Migs is growing rapidly"

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello! Just a question as to what the job outlook is for someone who does a MIGS fellowship? What would day to day practice look like, and lifestyle? Would you still be delivering, or could you start a solely surgery practice? Any thoughts as to whether this is a worthwhile use of time? thanks.

If you feel you need more training with straight stick laparoscopy or robotics, then go for it.

Some university departments are hiring "minimally invasive" trained attendings and you could join a private practice and be their go to person for tough endometriosis cases etc.

The academic person I know doing MIS is still covering the residents for OB call. For private practice, if you are solo and and have a large enough referral base then theoretically you could just do GYN. In reality, you will still be doing OB though.

As far as day to day goes, it's a mix of office hours, which you need to do in order to set up cases and then the OR.

As far as how useful it is, that's up to you. The fellowship is now 2 years long at most places and you have to judge if that's worth the opportunity cost of potentially ~$500,000 of lost income.

Also considering malpractice cost for hospital and how the medicare/medicaid reimbursement will affect hospital revenue.

i.e. No point to pay $150k malpractice premium for 5 attendings, when you can pay $150k malpractice premium for 3 attendings, have them cover OB/GYN, then pay $90k for gyn procedure attendings.

Also another thought... board certification. Will all hospital recognize that the mere fact you did 2 extra year of non-board fellowship, does it justify to pay you more.

If you know of a mentor who performs a lot of laparoscopic surgeries, why can't you just tag along and learn that way? You will get paid as an Attending salary and still get the surgery case. Just my thought.