Military Awards in PTCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

scrawnyguy

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This question goes out to my fellow veterans and SMs. How did you list your military awards in PTCAS? I'm obviously going to list stuff like ARCOMs, MSMs, etc, but should I list the stuff you basically get for breathing (Campaign medals, Good Conduct medals, etc.)
 
I took the middle ground on this one. I listed all individual awards and also awards where I was a direct contributing team member (Team awards where there were maybe 5-8 people involved), but not squadron awards. I did not list any of my general service awards that I felt any reasonable person could have received in my job by showing up to work. My thought was that I wanted each line to be hard hitting. I was afraid of overwhelming the admissions committee with too much stuff which would lessen the impact of the few hard-earned awards I had (military folks will understand.....there are lists and lists of things you could dump on a paper....we are all pros at writing awards packages).

As much as possible, I tried to spell out the awards and added some parentheses after the end if a few more words would "civilianize" the award. I can't remember if I ran out of characters on each entry but I think I did (as in I had to be a little creative with how I typed some things). In the end, I figured because it wasn't an official military record, I was OK to cut some of the names and do my best to capture what the award was. If anyone had questions, I had the full paperwork in my possession.

Also, I don't know if this will help you....I used 2 military references (one was writing as my "employer" and one wrote as an "instructor"). I specifically had each of them highlight 1-2 of my highest awards or rankings from my performance reports. This gave them a lot of stuff to talk about and provided a full interpretation of the awards for a civilian admissions committee (**I realize you are applying to Baylor so this would apply to any other schools on your list).