Military credits ruining GPA

Started by SassyKass
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

SassyKass

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm an intelligence analyst for the military and I'm probably going to be a nontraditional medical school applicant because of a deployment. When I graduated basic training and AIT, I received college credits for some courses that don't count for anything.

I have 27 credits of straight Cs from these classes with no feedback and no details on how we were graded - I talked with some of my coworkers and got the impression that we were given Cs if we passed and Fs if we failed. I was wondering if these were going to be counted in my GPA for medical school. If so, I'm not sure it's realistic for me to become a doctor. To give some background I'm a sophomore with 56 credits received from this university and a 3.6 math and science GPA.

Is there anyone here who has experienced a similar problem? If so I would really appreciate some feedback.
 
So I encountered a similar but different problem (I took classes w/TA while active and never bothered with exams because I "was going to be enlisted forever") when I applied. I'd recommend contacting both ARRTS/ACE/JST as well your university and appeal for a retroactive withdrawal from those courses. If you can make do without them IOT graduate, the WN on your transcript will no longer and affect your GPA but might raise some questions during interviews.

*EDIT* I just checked my transcript and all of my JST courses were written as "passes"-- maybe check to see if you can get them changed to that. IDK how much it negatively impacted my GPA.
 
Assuming you are Army intel, I have a good idea of what AIT credits you're talking about. Mine were gained as P/F with no associated GPA, which I figured was par for the course. I think this is a JST issue. How old are the credits? I would assume these days the ACE/JST folks would have it figured out that P/F shouldn't be recorded in any capacity as a C, but, ya know. Expecting too much.