Military Folks - MDSSP Stipend + VA Disability payments, simultaneously?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cacti&kids

Reaction score
Starting med school in 2021 and I'm currently in the Army Reserves (after 11+ years AD). I am strongly considering doing MDSSP, and then completing my 20 in the Reserves after residency. I'm a married mom of two littles and we're trying to figure out what our budget will look like in med school. The Reserve medical recruiters I'm working with don't have the answer to this (and don't seem to know who to ask): can I receive my VA disability payments AND the MDSSP stipend at the same time? I have a pretty high VA percentage, so being able to receive both would be awesome (in addition to BAH from my post 9/11 GI bill).

I had assumed that a stipend payment would not be the same thing as reserve pay where I have to elect one or the other, but the recruiters aren't sure. I have done my due diligence, but I haven't seen anything about this in writing.

If you don't know the answer but have a recommendation of someone I could ask, I'd be grateful!

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

From what I can tell, only concurrent VA disability and pay received for training are prohibited.

i.e.

III.v.4.C.1.b. Prohibition Against Concurrent Receipt of Drill Pay and VA Benefits

"Concurrent receipt of VA benefits and the subsistence allowance that a Veteran in the Senior Reserve Officers’ Training Corps (SROTC) might receive is not prohibited. Only concurrent receipt of VA benefits and pay the Veteran receives for active or inactive duty training in the SROTC is prohibited."

found here: https://www.knowva.ebenefits.va.gov...-a-Veteran's-Receipt-of-Active-Service-Pay#1a

more reading here:

Reactions: 1 users
Sorry to be late to reply to this. Will you be actively drilling/battle assembly during medical school?

I did not do the MDSSP (as I did not transfer to MC in the Guard), but with my drill pay and my VA disability, I receive an annual letter asking which one do I prefer to keep. My disability isn't that high so my drill pay supersedes my disability pay. You cannot receive military pay and disability concurrently, and they will reduce your disability commensurate with the number of drills/battle assemblies per year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry to be late to reply to this. Will you be actively drilling/battle assembly during medical school?

I did not do the MDSSP (as I did not transfer to MC in the Guard), but with my drill pay and my VA disability, I receive an annual letter asking which one do I prefer to keep. My disability isn't that high so my drill pay supersedes my disability pay. You cannot receive military pay and disability concurrently, and they will reduce your disability commensurate with the number of drills/battle assemblies per year.
This I'm tracking, I'm currently in the Reserves and have the same situation with my disability pay. Had to do the form.

My question was more along the lines of whether or not the MDSSP stipend is considered "pay" or if it's considered a subsistence allowance (I would not be able to be in a drilling reserve unit while also being part of MDSSP). The quote from HopefulPilot above seems to imply that, if the MDSSP stipend is considered to be the same thing as the SROTC stipends (which seems logical), then I should be able to draw both disability + MDSSP stipend simultaneously, which would be amazing... assuming I can jump through all of medical waiver hoops.

Were you in the Guard while in medical school? If I'm unable to be waivered into the MDSSP program, I might just stay in the Reserves (I'll go IRR when training makes it impossible) so that I don't throw away my 14 years of service (including Reserve time). I'd really like to close out my 20.

This I'm tracking, I'm currently in the Reserves and have the same situation with my disability pay. Had to do the form.

My question was more along the lines of whether or not the MDSSP stipend is considered "pay" or if it's considered a subsistence allowance (I would not be able to be in a drilling reserve unit while also being part of MDSSP). The quote from HopefulPilot above seems to imply that, if the MDSSP stipend is considered to be the same thing as the SROTC stipends (which seems logical), then I should be able to draw both disability + MDSSP stipend simultaneously, which would be amazing... assuming I can jump through all of medical waiver hoops.

Were you in the Guard while in medical school? If I'm unable to be waivered into the MDSSP program, I might just stay in the Reserves (I'll go IRR when training makes it impossible) so that I don't throw away my 14 years of service (including Reserve time). I'd really like to close out my 20.
Did you end up figuring it out? I am starting dental school in august. Similar situation with you, I did 5 years active duty and currently serving as national guard and I am receiving some VA. Were you able to receive MDSSP with VA disability?

Thank you in advance!!!!! Hope your medical school journey is going smooth!

Also wondering about this. Starting med school this summer