Military internship competitiveness?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ay1314

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone shed some light on how competitive military internships are? I've heard mixed things. The number of applicants to some of the sites seems low, but I don't know if that's because of all the extra administrative hurdles they put you through or if the "we're really competitive" is all blustery talk.

Members don't see this ad.

Can anyone shed some light on how competitive military internships are? I've heard mixed things. The number of applicants to some of the sites seems low, but I don't know if that's because of all the extra administrative hurdles they put you through or if the "we're really competitive" is all blustery talk.

My perception is very-for the primary reason that most are simply not going to be a good fit for that lifestyle and work environment.

Reactions: 1 user
It's not just about administrative hurdles. The requirements for getting the military internships are higher than for all the other civilian internships. You have to meet normal accessions standards for physical and mental health, but many potential applicants may be disqualified on these bases alone. Then, you have to meet the security clearance eligibility, but many international and some domestic applicants may not be able to.

And as Erg noted, some people just don't comport with the military lifestyle or don't want to make the substantial commitment required of being a military officer for several years.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Most people who meet all of the initial hurdles will get an interview, according to some military TDs I've spoken with. However, they probably are competitive in the sense that the people who actually do make it to the interview stage often really want the positions and will rank the sites very highly. I don't think they are significantly more competitive than other decent APA accredited sites otherwise.

Current military intern here. They're competitive. I'll echo what others have said. It's tough to even meet the minimum cut off of being physically, mentally, and legally fit. Another aspect that makes them so competitive is that behavioral health in the military is not the same as behavioral health in the civilian world. Those 40 applicants understand this and have probably gained experiences throughout their graduate program that others might not have dreamed of gaining in order to prepare.

Last edited: