Military Loan Repayment Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stanky

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently matched and I am becoming worried about finances during residency. I've always wanted to serve in the military, anyone know anything about the military support programs and what kind of obligations they require. Their websites of course focus on all the benefits (which seem amazing) without really disclosing the requirements. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

my understanding was that the military is no longer supporting radonc spots as of about 2004. However don't hold me to this. BUt I do know something changed about then.

A friend of mine who is currently a chief resident is going to be serving four years for the Air Force as a Rad Onc doc starting in July.

Members don't see this ad :)
I recently matched and I am becoming worried about finances during residency. I've always wanted to serve in the military, anyone know anything about the military support programs and what kind of obligations they require. Their websites of course focus on all the benefits (which seem amazing) without really disclosing the requirements. Thanks.

Search the milmed forum for information on the Financial Assistance Program (FAP). The opinions there are pretty strong, and may or may not be a good counterbalance to the "all positive" info you've been reading.

nci/nih is a military program...

The NCI/NIH program has a total of 6 residents. They accept two residents per year (one civilian, one military). The rotation cycle is 2, 2, 2, 0. They have both civilian and military Attendings and the program is still going strong. As to whether the military offers financial assistance during residency for those who have already matched in return for service as a military Radiation Oncologist, I do not know. You perform your payback time in one of four locations:
1. Washington D.C./Bethesda, Maryland
2. San Antonio, TX
3. Honolulu, Hawaii or
4. Tacoma, Washington (Just outside Seattle).

the nih/nci program is undergoing a lot of changes...PD leaving, some of the military attendings are leaving, a new chairman at nih (<1 year), and more.