Military medical rotations... anything unique I should know?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sarahlindner

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
USUHS med student here, pretty soon I will be done with preclinicals and going on clerkships / rotations.

I've read a lot of advice and tips from civilian resources about how to survive rotations. But my rotations will be exclusively at military medical bases. Is there anything I should know about rotations that's unique to "the military experience"? Or will my experience be exactly the same as what a civilian student will go through? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

USUHS med student here, pretty soon I will be done with preclinicals and going on clerkships / rotations.

I've read a lot of advice and tips from civilian resources about how to survive rotations. But my rotations will be exclusively at military medical bases. Is there anything I should know about rotations that's unique to "the military experience"? Or will my experience be exactly the same as what a civilian student will go through? Thanks.

Should be the same advice. Here's some more: change your SDN ID (if any part of that is your real name). We like to eat our own here on SDN sometimes.

OP,

Welcome. Stick around. Change your name. The biggest difference is that you have to deal with your rather quirky department of medicine. Try to do medicine later in your training. For whatever reason, they use the same standard throughout the year.

G