Military move may interfere with PT school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

brookiepooh

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello Everyone! I was not sure who to go to about my current question and future situation, I was hoping to get more incite and advice. I am a military spouse and we have been stationed at the same post going on 2 and half years. My husband believes he will be here for a few more, but the military is so unpredictable... I am going into my third year of undergraduate school. I plan to graduate in May of 2015 with a BS in Health and Human performance. My question is if I get accepted into a PT school close to post and begin it, lets say half way through PT school we have to move to a different post... Would all that work be for nothing and I would have to get accepted somewhere else anddd start all over with the program... or how does that work if you have to leave during Physical therapy school? Is it like undergrad school where as long as you finish a class and get the grade it will count and follow you on your transcript?.... I am stressing some over this some.... I really appreciate any advice or direction to someone who could help!
Thank You! 🙂
 
Most if not all PT programs will not accept transfer units as they are usually cohort scheduled. The few that may will only accept a limited number of credits. The best thing to do is to 1) align your application cycle with your husband's PCS cycle, 2) have your husband look for local orders early to try and stay at the same post, different command, or 3) accept and financially plan that you two may be separated for some time.
 
okay thank you! It just worries me a bit because he will have been stationed here 4 years by the time I get my bachelors, and then for me to finish he would be here for 7 years sooo I guess I will just have to plan accordingly as it gets closer and talk with him about it
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
okay thank you! It just worries me a bit because he will have been stationed here 4 years by the time I get my bachelors, and then for me to finish he would be here for 7 years sooo I guess I will just have to plan accordingly as it gets closer and talk with him about it

Also, it wouldn't hurt to personally call a few schools and straight up ask them how you'd need to go about transferring. This would probably help your worrying 🙂
 
Hi I am in the exact same boat as you. I applied last year and was rejected. My husband and I figured that was my only shot to apply because we will move again soon. But then I randomly found out about Nova Southeastern hybrid program. Check out their website and watch the video. So that's where I am targeting this round. Basically if we move it should be ok as long as I can fly to FL once per month. Not sure if I can actually get in, but fingers crossed this year.
 
Hi I am in the exact same boat as you. I applied last year and was rejected. My husband and I figured that was my only shot to apply because we will move again soon. But then I randomly found out about Nova Southeastern hybrid program. Check out their website and watch the video. So that's where I am targeting this round. Basically if we move it should be ok as long as I can fly to FL once per month. Not sure if I can actually get in, but fingers crossed this year.

Sounds expensive. Better hope those MAG flights stay on schedule.