Military Neurology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bustbones26

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay bewfore anybody wonders why this is not on the miltary forum, its because my real question is, anybody here already a resident at Either Madigan or the Bethesda programs. Can you offer me any insight into these programs? I am concerned because since these are the only two progs I can apply to, I worry about ending up in civilian deferral land.

Members don't see this ad.

I am a current neurology resident and former Air Force flight surgeon who experienced some of the inner workings of the military match in neurology. While I don't have an opinion specifically regarding Madigan or Bethesda, I do have to ask why you are worried about "civilian deferrment land". Perhaps I can offer some insight into why that is not such a bad place to be...

bustbones26 said:
Okay bewfore anybody wonders why this is not on the miltary forum, its because my real question is, anybody here already a resident at Either Madigan or the Bethesda programs. Can you offer me any insight into these programs? I am concerned because since these are the only two progs I can apply to, I worry about ending up in civilian deferral land.

well the army has ONLY two neuro programs to apply to, MAMC and NCC. I know for a fact that MAMC has only two spots per year, not sure how many there are at NCC, probably a lot since it is a bigger program, but anyways-----

Up until one month ago I was convinced that I wanted to do IM and did all of my required ADT's in IM for the army. I now have seen the light and want to do neuro. I will never get a chance to do a neuro ADT with the army, I will never have the chance to show my face at MAMC or NCC as a student. IN addition, quite frankly, my grades and baord scores suck, so its not like I can say, "Oh well, I have a stonger applicaiton that anybody else applying. "

Now why am I against civilian deferral. I just want to stay in the army. In addition, Tricare does cover the cost of some VERY expensive drugs that my wife needs to take every month. If I did a civilian deferral in soem program that paid say 40K, did not cover the cost of her drugs, did not get the army commissary discounts, etc. and had to pay back my loans every month (I did take out loans for my first year of med school & undergrad), well friend, quite frankly, I'd be broke!!

At least with the army, Tricare would cover the cost of her drugs, pays more than a civilian program, have the commissary and PX discounts, and then maybe for once, I can keep my financial head a float.