Military Occupational Specialty

Started by kiilcancer
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

K

kiilcancer

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello people
I'm in need of suggestions. Anybody who's familiar with the military might be able to help me.
I'm 4th year Mol Bio major in a UC school. When I was in the verge of finishing up my BS, they activated me for 1~2 years (this is my 3rd month being active).
Currently, I'm in the Marines as a supply administrator (it doesn't sound so exciting). Now, I can speak/write/read fluent second language, which the government need for intelligence operation. They are suggesting me to move into a section in intelligence of interogation/translation specialty. If I take this job, I'll be spending my time in the military for extra ... who knows how many years. I'm trying my best to utilize my experience in the military to my advantage as far as possible but I'm a little worried about my time line too (I'm 23 years old already and I want to have a family life eventually...). I'm trying to look at every aspects so ANY light on age/experience/adcom's view on things would by much appreciated.

Thanks

Sincerely,
Kiilcancer
 
I really don't think the age starts to work against you until you hit a 'treshold' of sorts, I would guess 35-40 or so (I'm just guessing). Even then, it's not impossible, but you have the burden of showing the cost-benefit ratio due to the length of your future career. Definitely under 30 when starting the program shouldn't be an issue, so I would say that these kind of unique life experiences that you might get in the military can only work in your favor to set you apart from other applicants.

Do take everything I said with a grain of salt, as I have no personal experience with these matters. Good luck.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Originally posted by kiilcancer
Hello people
I'm in need of suggestions. Anybody who's familiar with the military might be able to help me.
I'm 4th year Mol Bio major in a UC school. When I was in the verge of finishing up my BS, they activated me for 1~2 years (this is my 3rd month being active).
Currently, I'm in the Marines as a supply administrator (it doesn't sound so exciting). Now, I can speak/write/read fluent second language, which the government need for intelligence operation. They are suggesting me to move into a section in intelligence of interogation/translation specialty. If I take this job, I'll be spending my time in the military for extra ... who knows how many years. I'm trying my best to utilize my experience in the military to my advantage as far as possible but I'm a little worried about my time line too (I'm 23 years old already and I want to have a family life eventually...). I'm trying to look at every aspects so ANY light on age/experience/adcom's view on things would by much appreciated.

Thanks

Sincerely,
Kiilcancer

You're young! Go gain experience and serve our country. When you get back, you can get the Navy to pay for your medical school.

I think your military experience will help make you unique when you're ready to apply. Take the road less traveled and you'll prosper.
 
Thank you for all of your support :clap: and positive feedbacks.
I also believe that using all my ability to serve my country to be the right thing to do. 😀
I thought about serving the humanity by working on medical research but serving the country that promotes service to other human beings, just a few more years before the medical research, would be a descent course of action.
By the way DarkChild - Marines don't have medic (we borrow them from the Navy).
I'll do my best on my part... and I hope you guys do the same from where you're at. 😎

kiilcancer