• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

Military, Online, UMUC

Willdau

Apr 15, 2015
  1. Pre-Medical
    HELP!

I am currently a student at UMUC (University of Maryland University College). I am active-duty Air Force, currently stationed in Germany. UMUC is the only place near me that offers science pre-reqs, so I have no choice in school. I have taken several classes online, but none that are pre reqs for med school. I have a 4.0 and a lot of volunteer time. I plan on getting a lot of clinical experience as well, through job shadowing and volunteering. Do you think I can get into medical school? UMUC is completely unranked. If I maintain my GPA and kill the MCAT do I have a shot? Also, my home state is Oklahoma which appears to have high in-state acceptance rates (OU and OSU (DO))

Goro

Lifetime Donor
    10+ Year Member
    Verified Expert
    Jun 11, 2010
    Somewhere west of St. Louis
    1. Non-Student
      Invest in MSAR Online to determine which schools will accept online credits. Some do, some don't. Mine does as lone as they're offered by an accredited university.

And many thanks to you for your service to our country!

HELP!

I am currently a student at UMUC (University of Maryland University College). I am active-duty Air Force, currently stationed in Germany. UMUC is the only place near me that offers science pre-reqs, so I have no choice in school. I have taken several classes online, but none that are pre reqs for med school. I have a 4.0 and a lot of volunteer time. I plan on getting a lot of clinical experience as well, through job shadowing and volunteering. Do you think I can get into medical school? UMUC is completely unranked. If I maintain my GPA and kill the MCAT do I have a shot? Also, my home state is Oklahoma which appears to have high in-state acceptance rates (OU and OSU (DO))

Doug Underhill

5+ Year Member
      Sep 2, 2011
      The South
      1. Medical Student (Accepted)
        What about labs? I think a lot of schools are going to want to see some lab.

That 4.0 should serve you reasonably well (some schools do not accept online pre-reqs), but I think taking some upper-level science classes with labs, in-person at an accredited 4-year college, would be highly advantageous.

About the Ads

Willdau

Apr 15, 2015
        1. Pre-Medical
          What about labs? I think a lot of schools are going to want to see some lab.

That 4.0 should serve you reasonably well (some schools do not accept online pre-reqs), but I think taking some upper-level science classes with labs, in-person at an accredited 4-year college, would be highly advantageous.

So my schools is actually regionally accredited and part of the University System of Maryland. I take my major courses online (health services management) but my science classes I have taken in person with labs. I have taken concepts of biology and human health and disease and gots A's in both. The classes are taught on my military base. I am currently taking bioethics, which is a lecture science course.

Willdau

Apr 15, 2015
          1. Pre-Medical
            Thank y
            Invest in MSAR Online to determine which schools will accept online credits. Some do, some don't. Mine does as lone as they're offered by an accredited university.

And many thanks to you for your service to our country!

Thank you! I'll look into MSAR! None of my pre reqs are online classes so that is a plus.

Reactions: 1 user

Willdau

Apr 15, 2015
            1. Pre-Medical
              Also, I kind of hoped that it would help that I am working full time and taking classes in the evenings and on weekends. I have been taking a full course load (12 cr/sem) since last august and haven't missed a beat. Not a lot of sleep in my life, but I really want to be a physician. I know schools look at multi-tasking as a plus.

About the Ads
              This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
              2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
              5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
              6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              7. This thread is locked.