military optometry

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blobs

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
what is your guy's opinion on military optometry?

I am a college senior that will hopefully be part of the entering class of 2008. I am trying to decide whether or not to take the HPSP money for tuition.

0) is it difficult to "get into" the HPSP prgram? do you need to have extreme gpa and all that stuff, or are they actively recruiting?

1) Is it difficult to use military experience in civilian settings? for example, are military optometrists confined to seeing a narrow set of eye problems + refraction so that its difficult to find work after re-entering cilivian service?

2) Military career: this is becoming an interesting option financially. Since I'll have roughly 120-150k debt when i graduate, this will take roughly 5-6 years to pay off assuming I live like a pauper. **I do not believe in the amortize-to-invest theory since believing in 8% inflation-adjusted returns on invest even in 100% equity is absolutely ridiculous in the foreseeable future. Theres a good reason banks loan you money... they make a profit. thats a discussion for another thread anyway** Therefore, the four years of active service (and the low pay) isnt really that bad. They pay 53000ish starting base pay, with a 3% annual raise, and several medical certification bonuses that raise the pay to around 60000-63000. Plus you get food and housing assistance and a large vacation and all the benefits of being in the military (cheaper everything). Therefore, by the time you would have become a private practice person in civilian life, you would be making a comparable salary at much greater job security (3% year-on-year increase adds up fast). Not to mention full reimbursment of all education expenses and a stipend during school, and after 20 years service (age 42) you're pretty much set in terms of retirement security and family military benefits, and are free to purse civilian life however you might wish.

3) How is the family-friendliess of military optometry? Is it extremly family-unfriendly (reclocations, possibly to a place where wife cannot find work, bad schols, etc)

4) I'm not doing it JUST for the money, I would definately consider a military career for the intangible benefits, but I want to make sure the practical aspects are covered too.

thanks for any help, especially from military optometrists and people in/considering HPSP

Members don't see this ad.

0) is it difficult to "get into" the HPSP prgram? do you need to have extreme gpa and all that stuff, or are they actively recruiting?

I like how you started your numbering with 0...haha :D. Army is the least competitive because there are more slots. Ask your local recruiter for how many there are this year, and what the criteria is. I know for a fact that the Navy and Air Force have less slots, so therefore they are more competitive.

1) Is it difficult to use military experience in civilian settings? for example, are military optometrists confined to seeing a narrow set of eye problems + refraction so that its difficult to find work after re-entering cilivian service?

Your scope of practice in military optometry is to the full limits of Federal optometry. In fact, military optometry has historically pushed the limits of optometric practice, dating back to the Vietnam War. But what you actually practice is determined on where you're working. For example, you could be working in a base where you're the only eyecare provider and you'll be working a larger scope vs in a base where you have ophthalmologists and you have the option of referring. So to answer your question, there is no reason for you to have difficulty finding work just because of your experience in the military.

2) Military career: this is becoming an interesting option financially. Since I'll have roughly 120-150k debt when i graduate, this will take roughly 5-6 years to pay off assuming I live like a pauper. **I do not believe in the amortize-to-invest theory since believing in 8% inflation-adjusted returns on invest even in 100% equity is absolutely ridiculous in the foreseeable future. Theres a good reason banks loan you money... they make a profit. thats a discussion for another thread anyway** Therefore, the four years of active service (and the low pay) isnt really that bad. They pay 53000ish starting base pay, with a 3% annual raise, and several medical certification bonuses that raise the pay to around 60000-63000. Plus you get food and housing assistance and a large vacation and all the benefits of being in the military (cheaper everything). Therefore, by the time you would have become a private practice person in civilian life, you would be making a comparable salary at much greater job security (3% year-on-year increase adds up fast). Not to mention full reimbursment of all education expenses and a stipend during school, and after 20 years service (age 42) you're pretty much set in terms of retirement security and family military benefits, and are free to purse civilian life however you might wish.

I'm not sure if you asked a question on this one, but you are absolutely right about what you said here. You can't find a better deal out there for paying for optometry school, especially since interest rates have been ridiculously high recently. But one thing I advise you, don't do the HPSP solely for the money. The money is a definite plus, but the military does have its share of hardships including deployments, tons of bureaucracy, tons of paperwork BS, etc.

3) How is the family-friendliess of military optometry? Is it extremly family-unfriendly (reclocations, possibly to a place where wife cannot find work, bad schols, etc)

That depends on the service and the base you're assigned to. And as far as location, there are hundreds of military installations out there, just do your research on which ones have an optometry clinic so you can look at your work options. But ultimately your wife's career will most likely be on hold, unless if she's a nurse, teacher, or other high demand profession.

4) I'm not doing it JUST for the money, I would definately consider a military career for the intangible benefits, but I want to make sure the practical aspects are covered too.

Oh okay, so you aren't doing it just for the money, and that's really good. If you want more info just visit my website http://www.optstudent.com...it has a blog of my experience with Army optometry and also has a page regarding the Army HPSP. If you have more questions, feel free to PM me. Hope this helps.

What is the typical starting rank of an Optometrist in the Army, and what is typical rank of an Optometrist after serving for a while?

Members don't see this ad :)
captain after graduation, 2nd leiutenant during school, rank increases during active bservice at the same rate as otherwise (normal officer)

Oh okay, so you aren't doing it just for the money, and that's really good. If you want more info just visit my website http://www.optstudent.com...it has a blog of my experience with Army optometry and also has a page regarding the Army HPSP. If you have more questions, feel free to PM me. Hope this helps.

Aren't all the ODs in all of the branches of the military under the OMDs except for the Navy which has a separate chain of command?

All optometrists whether in the AF, USN or USA are under the military medical chain of command.

1. AF - Biomedical Science Corps is under the SG AF
2 USA - Medical Service Corps. The MSC is under the SGA
3. USN - Medical Serice Corp. Under the jurisdiction of BuMed

On the local level, optometry usually is slotted into Dept of Ophthalmology or surgery, Dept of Ambulatory Medicine (the preferred method I believe) or to the Forward Support Battalion commander. It is the field optometry slot which probably has the least oversight by an ophthalmologist. Practically all optometrists in large medical centers have ophthalmologic oversight. Personally, I recommend small clinics where there isn't an ophthalmologists at all for the greatest growth.

Aren't all the ODs in all of the branches of the military under the OMDs except for the Navy which has a separate chain of command?

After 11 years of service with the AF, I have not once been rated, supervised or been in the same direct chain of command with an OMD. I have had many Flight Surgeons as my boss and rater, but that is much more preferable than being rated by an OMD. Currently, the Ophth department is across the hall from me but we are in separate squadrons within the Medical group. Additionally, my position of Optometry Flight Commander is a step above the OMD since their department is an Element of the Surgery Flight.

To the OP, one thing to keep in mind is that when you serve with the military, you are actually hired to be an Officer first then an Optometrist (of course within the confines of the Geneva Conventions as it applies to all health care personnel.) That means that a portion of your evaluation will be based on non-patient care areas and activities. The initial reactions to that statement is always..."but I was trained be an OD, that's all I want to do...". When you are a junior doc that should be your focus, but as you gain more experience, just being a good clinician should not be the entire focus of one's military experience. Supervising others, managing a clinic, expanding to wider areas of management, committess, etc are a natural progression in one's career. Plus, doing military stuff like qualifying with a weapon every few years or military field exercises can be a welcome changes to a day-in, day-out clinic schedule. One of my proudest moments in my military career was the moment that I finished a 12 mile road march with a rucksack, kevlar helmet, gas mask at my side and M16 in my hand and earned my Army Expert Field Medic badge as a USAF Officer. Much better than spending another day in the clinic....

Moves in the military can be a positive or a negative. I have been single for the majority of my moves, but my wife has already been to Turkey and to Alaska with me. She had made the decision to forego many possible job advances for remaining in San Antonio for her son's sake, but now that we have seen more of the world together, our family really enjoys the wider world outside of Texas.

Good luck...

BK

digging out old threads :)

Any Navy or AF optometrist care to share their experiences?

are each of the optometry school assigned certain slots of scholarships? or are there just a fix number of optometry offer that are there for students to compete for? In other words, are we competing with all the students who apply for scholarship this year? or are we competing with the students who are going to one specific school?

are each of the optometry school assigned certain slots of scholarships? or are there just a fix number of optometry offer that are there for students to compete for? In other words, are we competing with all the students who apply for scholarship this year? or are we competing with the students who are going to one specific school?

If you're talking about the military scholarship (the HPSP) specifically - you compete with applicants nationwide, not just for a particular school.

Any Navy or AF optometrist care to share their experiences?

The HPSP scholarship can vary based on the needs of the services. The AF currently is only offering 1 or 2 year scholarships to 3rd or 4th yr students leaving one with 50-75% of the total debt load. This year the AF is offering a entry loan repayment program for non-scholarship accessions. You will pay taxes on the loan repayment, but having 72% of your loans paid off can make a big difference to someone.

The other services may have more liberal HPSP options, you would need to contact a Healthcare recruiter to get the details for the Navy or Army.

Good luck.

BK