Military Pharmacy related

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jay04002

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yo guys
I know this thing has been talked about like crazy here but I have a serious question, I contacted Air Force, Navy and Army and this is the offer i got regarding to my loan repayment:
Air Force: $0.00 (WTF:eek:)
Navy: $80K :)confused:)
Army: 120K

Can anyone tell me if they got similar response from their recruiters??? I want to go for navy but at 80K??? that's crazy, i thought it was 120K for like a 4 yr service...
thanx for your help

Members don't see this ad.

Don't forget you need to pay taxes on the money received. FYI

Yo guys
I know this thing has been talked about like crazy here but I have a serious question, I contacted Air Force, Navy and Army and this is the offer i got regarding to my loan repayment:
Air Force: $0.00 (WTF:eek:)
Navy: $80K :)confused:)
Army: 120K

Can anyone tell me if they got similar response from their recruiters??? I want to go for navy but at 80K??? that's crazy, i thought it was 120K for like a 4 yr service...
thanx for your help

I would double check with a health (biomedical sciences) specific recruiter, (OFFICER recruiter). Guys at the local enlistment places will know virtually nothing of health profession recruiting.

I don't know for sure about the Army this year, but the Air Force offers up to 120K and the Navy is not offering loan repayment this year.

However I noticed you're pre-pharmacy and all of them offer some sort of scholarship program that pays for school, gives you a stipend, E-6 pay grade etc. I would seriously consider that. The Navy will take you on a nice trip out to San Diego to check out the medical center and all that.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would double check with a health (biomedical sciences) specific recruiter, (OFFICER recruiter). Guys at the local enlistment places will know virtually nothing of health profession recruiting.

I don't know for sure about the Army this year, but the Air Force offers up to 120K and the Navy is not offering loan repayment this year.

However I noticed you're pre-pharmacy and all of them offer some sort of scholarship program that pays for school, gives you a stipend, E-6 pay grade etc. I would seriously consider that. The Navy will take you on a nice trip out to San Diego to check out the medical center and all that.

Sry i havent changed my status yet, i am a P3 hahahah joined this form when i was a prepharm just never changed the status hahaha...
And i actually did talk to medical recruiters for all three of these branches and the figures i gave you is what they told me... i was really surprised at these numbers... crazy huh?
p.s thanx for the replies guys

Sry i havent changed my status yet, i am a P3 hahahah joined this form when i was a prepharm just never changed the status hahaha...
And i actually did talk to medical recruiters for all three of these branches and the figures i gave you is what they told me... i was really surprised at these numbers... crazy huh?
p.s thanx for the replies guys

AF does an in-school scholarship that pays for final 2 years. I have talked to pharmacy officers in the AF who say that they themselves have received loan repayment as late as 2009. This information seems to be conflicting with your recruiter.

Oh yah another point to think about... this decrease in military loan repayment is just crazy...

The loan repayment for each year is written initially into your contract - With a provision stating that the maximum per year can be increased each fiscal year...

About the taxes - 28% of the payment each year is withheld for tax purposes. This is required by law and is done to ensure each member doesn't get slammed with a huge tax bill (each payment is treated as part of your income, subject to income tax).

The negotiation part occurs prior to signing the contract - Loan repayment is an incentive program. It can only be used for so many accessions; the limit of how many is unknown to people outside of the USAREC.

I was able to negotiate multiple incentives...

Best advice:

Get your information from recruiters - fact check that information with people currently in the service... Recruiters are salesmen, and should be treated as such.

AF does an in-school scholarship that pays for final 2 years. I have talked to pharmacy officers in the AF who say that they themselves have received loan repayment as late as 2009. This information seems to be conflicting with your recruiter.

There are several scholarship programs... The HPSP is for students who join during school. The programs discussed in this post are for programs for after graduating. They are VERY different.

guys i m sry my post wasn't clear, i am not looking for a scholarship during my school year... i am actually looking for after i graduate. And i did talked to the medical recruiters and they were seemed really fixed u know... its just kind of freakey that they give one offer to one student and another to another student... just weird.

As for the Air Force, they were likely talking about right now. I know that they ran out of money for the rest of the fiscal year (new year starts in september), so if you ask again at that point, there will be money there for loan repayments.

As for the Air Force, they were likely talking about right now. I know that they ran out of money for the rest of the fiscal year (new year starts in september), so if you ask again at that point, there will be money there for loan repayments.

wow thank you bro

The loan repayment for each year is written initially into your contract - With a provision stating that the maximum per year can be increased each fiscal year...

About the taxes - 28% of the payment each year is withheld for tax purposes. This is required by law and is done to ensure each member doesn't get slammed with a huge tax bill (each payment is treated as part of your income, subject to income tax).

The negotiation part occurs prior to signing the contract - Loan repayment is an incentive program. It can only be used for so many accessions; the limit of how many is unknown to people outside of the USAREC.

I was able to negotiate multiple incentives...

Best advice:

Get your information from recruiters - fact check that information with people currently in the service... Recruiters are salesmen, and should be treated as such.

Ex-military finance soldier here...there is limit of 3 when I left in 2003, don't know what it is now! When its time to renew your contract and they feel that you are an essential employee and have been performing well they will offer it to you again with another bonus too..I say the above, but most people get the offer anyway... they lose money when soldiers leave and they have to retrain someone new, so it works out great for both parties!

Also very important...when you read your contract for student loan repayment, pay very close attention to what the percentage is that they will pay because the money goes straight to the student loan repayment people and you get the tax form at the beginning of every year to fill out your taxes. Usually the percentage does not equal the amount that they will pay within the contract limit meaning you have to re-enlist to get all the money..ex. they pay five percent of your total loan every year..so if your loan is 120,000 x 0.05 = 6000 a year, so you would have to re-enlist to get to the 120,000 they gave you in your contract....true statment from the person who processes the paperwork and had to explain it everyday to soldiers LOL

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
The Navy does offer a sign-on bonus of $30,000 if you join as a practicing Pharmacist. As for loan repayment, the Navy does offer up to $80,000 by applying to receive $40,000 a year for up to two years. For this program, there is still funding available if you're interested. You can talk to your local Medical Officer Recruiter or check out this link for some more info:
http://www.navy.com/careers/healthcare/medicalservicecorps/clinicalcareproviders/pharmacy/

The Navy does offer a sign-on bonus of $30,000 if you join as a practicing Pharmacist. As for loan repayment, the Navy does offer up to $80,000 by applying to receive $40,000 a year for up to two years. For this program, there is still funding available if you're interested. You can talk to your local Medical Officer Recruiter or check out this link for some more info:
http://www.navy.com/careers/healthcare/medicalservicecorps/clinicalcareproviders/pharmacy/

I am joining the Navy this year. My contract is drawn up and ready to be signed in 3 weeks. The above is correct. Officially, the Navy offers up to 3 years of $40,000 a year in loan repayment. Unofficially, however, they are not offering more than 2 years to any one prospect, making the maximum for fiscal year 2009-2010 (which ends in October) $80,000.

The sign on bonus is $30,000 and requires an active duty commitment of 4 years. I will be receiving mine as one lump sum 30 days after completing ODS, but I have heard that it may be changing to $15,000 per year for 2 years (still with a 4 year active duty commitment). Also, only 6 pharmacists are being offered the sign on bonus. Two, including myself, ave received it - leaving only 4 available.

This is all only valid until October 1 of this year when the new budget starts. My recruiter has heard rumors that loan repayment may be cut out completely.

I don't know the details about the other branches. I do know, however, that the Army offers only one of sign on OR loan repayment, not both.

Oh, and the Health Professions Scholarship Program (HPSP) is extremely competitive.

Ex-military finance soldier here...there is limit of 3 when I left in 2003, don't know what it is now! When its time to renew your contract and they feel that you are an essential employee and have been performing well they will offer it to you again with another bonus too..I say the above, but most people get the offer anyway... they lose money when soldiers leave and they have to retrain someone new, so it works out great for both parties!

Also very important...when you read your contract for student loan repayment, pay very close attention to what the percentage is that they will pay because the money goes straight to the student loan repayment people and you get the tax form at the beginning of every year to fill out your taxes. Usually the percentage does not equal the amount that they will pay within the contract limit meaning you have to re-enlist to get all the money..ex. they pay five percent of your total loan every year..so if your loan is 120,000 x 0.05 = 6000 a year, so you would have to re-enlist to get to the 120,000 they gave you in your contract....true statment from the person who processes the paperwork and had to explain it everyday to soldiers LOL

I would imagine the above refers to the general loan repayment program for officers. That is COMPLETELY different from the Health Professions Loan Repayment Program. It is paid as 40k per year (less applicable 28% tax) paid directly to the loan holder each year. If your loan repayment is written for two years, two payments (on anniversaries) will be paid on your behalf to your loan holder.

It is certainly NOT 5% per year... The incentive is written directly into this contract - so this is no signing of a new contract.

Finally, it is a commissioning contact, as pharmacy officers are commissioned as 1LTs or Capts.

Student loan repayment for health professions is very different than regular LRP, especially those that deal with enlisted soldiers. Aboveliquidice explained HPLRP perfectly.

Last edited:
Oh yah another point to think about... this decrease in military loan repayment is just crazy...
Another point to think about (besides the fact your grammer is atrocious), pharmacists are not in short supply anymore. This doesnt effect just retail, hospital and residencies, it also effects military as well. In my opinion, there isn´t much of a shortage of pharmacists anymore in the military.

Just found out I'll be at Randolph AFB in San Antonio

finally, some direction

Congrats! Where was that on your choice of bases if you dont mind me asking?

I have been hearing a lot of people are getting their decisions, I am still waiting to hear back, hopefully I will soon!

Congrats! Where was that on your choice of bases if you dont mind me asking?

I have been hearing a lot of people are getting their decisions, I am still waiting to hear back, hopefully I will soon!

well, Randolph wasn't actually on my list, but Lackland was 5/6

I had the Colorado locations at the top, but I guess everyone else did too :smuggrin:

So San Antonio it is, apparently Lackland and Randolph share staff quite a bit so I guess it'll be a little of both.

it ain't Minot, so I'm happy. Here's the thing though, all the summer COTs are full. So mine is set for January presently. We'll see if I can't get bumped up

well, Randolph wasn't actually on my list, but Lackland was 5/6

I had the Colorado locations at the top, but I guess everyone else did too :smuggrin:

So San Antonio it is, apparently Lackland and Randolph share staff quite a bit so I guess it'll be a little of both.

it ain't Minot, so I'm happy. Here's the thing though, all the summer COTs are full. So mine is set for January presently. We'll see if I can't get bumped up

Wow, all the summer COTs are filled? Sheesh, I better find me a temp job to carry me through to next year or whenever I can get to COT then...Thats pretty insane.

Wow, all the summer COTs are filled? Sheesh, I better find me a temp job to carry me through to next year or whenever I can get to COT then...Thats pretty insane.

yeah, I'm not entirely sure what I'm going to do, but I have a couple options, so it should work out ok. They're trying to open up more seats but I don't know if that will happen in time. I guess I'd rather go to Alabama in January than June

Randolph is a great clinic to be at. I think you will enjoy the assignment much more than you would have at Lackland...Let me know if you need any housing advice

I very likely will, however since I'm not starting COT til January I don't know when I'm going to move down there
thanks

Hello to everyone, I'm also applying to the AF. I'm wondering when did you all start applying? It's been such a long process and I'm hoping to get results soon. My recruiter said it could possibly be this week.

Hello to everyone, I'm also applying to the AF. I'm wondering when did you all start applying? It's been such a long process and I'm hoping to get results soon. My recruiter said it could possibly be this week.

I started everything about 9-10 months ago, and I am still waiting to hear back (hopefully in the next week or two as well). It usually takes about a year from start to finish.

I started the process with the Air Force at the beginning of November. I heard back last week. I would guess you guys should hear back soon.

See you guys in January :p

I started the process with the Air Force at the beginning of November. I heard back last week. I would guess you guys should hear back soon.

See you guys in January :p

I will most likely see you also in January, I just received word that I've been selected!!! Congratualtions to you Jbuprepharm!!!! I'm worried however about what I will do in the meantime. I'm located in the DMV area (DC, Maryland, Virginia) and pharmacists positions are slim pickings. Let me know if anything new comes up, I'm very new to this so feel free to send a message

I will most likely see you also in January, I just received word that I've been selected!!! Congratualtions to you Jbuprepharm!!!! I'm worried however about what I will do in the meantime. I'm located in the DMV area (DC, Maryland, Virginia) and pharmacists positions are slim pickings. Let me know if anything new comes up, I'm very new to this so feel free to send a message
Congrats on your selection!

I worked at wags before I went to OBC (army version of COT)...I would suggest you look for a job while you are in limbo because the military can change the dates of your class.

Congrats on your selection!

I worked at wags before I went to OBC (army version of COT)...I would suggest you look for a job while you are in limbo because the military can change the dates of your class.

Thanks for the info! Have you ever had an assignment in Anchorage, Alaska, or been there in general? I'm just curious, that is suppose to be my first duty station.

Thanks for the info! Have you ever had an assignment in Anchorage, Alaska, or been there in general? I'm just curious, that is suppose to be my first duty station.
No, but my mentor happens to be cheif at the AF base in Anchorage. (Elmendorf AFB) He is a fantastic guy and a great teacher. The hospital is a split operation between the AF and the VA.